School Help

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey everybody, I'm in need of some help with a school project if you've got the time tonight.

I was supposed to get 10 people to take some surveys for my Experimental Design and Research Methods class, but I didn't pay attention to the date I had to get it done by and well it's tonight.

If you've got some time please visit this site:
:hof: Time's up!

and use the particpant code:
ws1078

That'd really help me out!

The surveys are pretty boring, but it doesn't take that long to do.
If questions don't apply for you just pretend they do and make up answers, it's not really a formal study.

Thanks!
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I did it, why do they want to know my natural hair colour? :p
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Haha, I thought that one was strange too.

Maybe I'll use it in my study I've gotta make up. XD

Basically the teacher of the class just through together a bunch of different surveys so that the students in the class can pick and choose from all the different variables and make up our own study out of them.
Not sure what mine is gonna use yet.

Also people, even though I'm over 10 particpants please take it anyways if you have a chance, sometimes the counting thing my teacher uses isn't very accurate.

Thanks everyone!
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

M'kay, I took the survey. That was pretty long...I forgot that I had a soda with me when I started and now it's all warm. D:
I was able to answer most of the questions that applied to me (about the first 13 pages) although some of them were sort of poorly worded. I had to guess on quite a few of the later ones, I do hope that's alright.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey, it's cool if you had to guess. I agree that some of the questions are worded poorly, it's kinda funny cause the class this is for is actually all about keeping stuff like that from happening. XD
Kinda ironic the teacher would choose these surveys.

Thanks for completing them!
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

You're welcome.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I also found some sections that didn't really apply to me, such as the ones about college. I plan to go to university here but in Australia it seems as though there's a much different approach to further education. From the few people I've talked to about college in the US, it seems as though it's a big struggle for most people to pay for, and there's an expectation on almost everyone to go to college or else they're stuck in a "dead-end" job.

In Australia we pay off our university education after we have finished and are earning a certain amount, and not very many people at all nowadays seem to go to university, but perhaps that's just the part of Australia I'm from. There are many options out there... apprenticeships for jobs such as building, cooking and TAFE education for areas such as business, multimedia, hospitality and even nursing.

I'm curious, after high school, what are your options?

(and sorry if I'm side-tracking the topic :p)
Last edited by Delvar on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

I took it. Tedious little sucker, but I did it nonetheless.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey, thanks again everyone!
I know it's really boring, thanks for putting up with it! XD
Delvar wrote:I also found some sections that didn't really apply to me, such as the ones about college. I plan to go to university here but in Australia it seems as though there's a much different approach to further education. From the few people I've talked to about college in the US, it seems as though it's a big struggle for most people to pay for, and there's an expectation on almost everyone to go to college or else they're stuck in a "dead-end" job.

In Australia we pay off our university education after we have finished and are earning a certain amount, and not very many people at all nowadays seem to go to university, but perhaps that's just the part of Australia I'm from. There are many options out there... apprenticeships for jobs such as building, cooking and TAFE education for areas such as business, multimedia, hospitality and even nursing.

I'm curious, after high school, what are your options?

(and sorry if I'm side-tracking the topic :p)
Nah, it's cool to sidetrack. There isn't very far for this topic to go really. XD

I dunno how representative this overview is for everyone else in the U.S., but this is kinda how I see things and how people around me seem to go.

Basically people I know do three things:

Highschool only- These people usually end up in low level jobs that go nowhere. Some people can get into pretty good jobs if they apply themselves, but generally out of the people I know, none of the people who simply just do highschool are working towards anything big in the future.

Community College - I don't know anything about this really x_x; If you can't get into a university straight out of highschool then these are a good option to go and pick up classes before applying to a university again. They're kind of a stepping stone then, but they're actually a cost effective option for getting classes out of the way that are necessary later on. I guess some offer degrees too, but usually in more of the liberal arts areas.

University - Lots of people I know have gone to a university, and it's kind of more for the "Hey, if I don't get a degree then I probably won't get a good job." So what you've heard is pretty true in my opinion.
Unfortunately getting a degree does not necessarily mean you'll get a nice job, so lots of people end up in a university for the wrong reason and just get a degree hoping it'll help, but they don't apply themselves so nothing comes out of it and they end up in the shoes where they would have maybe been better off just looking for a job out of highschool instead.

Universities and college are really expensive in the U.S. Especially if you want to go someplace in another state. I was looking at a school in California at one time, and just one year there would have cost the same as all four years I am taking here in Texas. :o
Lots of students take out student loans which they won't have to pay off until they finish and get their degree. What happens to some though is that they drop out of college and then the student loans turn back on them and they end up owing a lot. Or people go into college not knowing what they are wanting to do and end up spending a lot more time and money on classes and end up owing a ton.
I dunno if it's cause I'm poor or if I'm a good student, XD, but when I graduate next semester all of the student loans I've taken out will be forgiven and I'll have basically gone through my university experience for free. :D The school keeps throwing grants at me as well, so I take that to mean I'm doing well. :D

I'm probably just spilling nonsense here. XD I don't think I know that much about options out there, I basically went to the University I went to cause everyone was going to universities, and my dad has always told me that I should go through college so I won't end up in a manual labor job like he has.

From what I've experienced though, my trip through my university has been worth the time and effort I've had to put into it. It's really broadened my horizons and knowledge a lot, and when I talk to other friends of mine, who are going through the university with the same enthusiasm I am, we have really deep and thoughtful conversations. Then when I talk to people who haven't done anything with their life since college it just seems... eh, it's terrible to say but the conversations seem much more narrow.
Not attributing all of that to going to university of course, it's just the people here who don't go usually tend to be less worldly I guess.

Anyone can do anything they want of course, but unfortunately in the U.S. it's getting harder to get anywhere unless you have a degree, but it's getting to the point where so many people get them that degrees are kinda worthless unless you really took the work and knowledge involved in getting it to heart.

Anyways, as I've said before I'll be done with my university next semester, and after that I'm probably going back to a graduate program. I'm aiming towards getting a PHD. :D

In the field of Psychology there is actually a lot of work done with statistics that not many people realize, and many people get the stat course they need to graduate out of the way and never think about it again, but two statistic teachers approached me and told me I should keep going towards a PHD since I'm good with stat, and no one else in the field wants to do it, so I'm going to take their advice.
It's also pretty nice that there are always jobs available in the area I'd like to go into, and they are the highest paying ones, so.... XD

Anyways, thanks for reading through my drivel. XD
Anyone feel free to call me out for being wrong about stuff, but that's just the way I've seen things happen.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I took the survey for you. I just want you to know I want my 10 minutes back :P

I thought the questions got a bit monotonous but it was interesting to answer them.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Thanks again to everyone who helped in this.

In case anyone is interested in what happened, I ran some numbers and discovered that people who are very introverted, or even slightly introverted are generally less happy than those who are extremely extroverted.
There were no mean differences between very introverted, slightly introverted, average and slightly extroverted people, as well as no differences between average, slightly extroverted and very extroverted.

I had an eta squared value of a whopping .06 so you should take all of this information with a grain of salt. :P

This stuff was just for the sake of doing it really, it's got no implications and was a very flawed study, but it was just for the sake of putting our writing and analyzing skills into action. XD