Age-gap relationships.

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

Just curious to know what everybody thinks about relationships with a big age difference.

I'm currently with a man who is 11 years older than me. Hee hum. To me it doesn't seem like a big deal but I know a couple of people who think it's shocking, which amuses me somewhat! I don't think 11 years is THAT much if you're both adults. It's weird because, before me, my 2 best friends from school got together with men who were at least 8 years older than them. Strange trend going on!
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I have mixed opinions about the age difference.
Age shouldnt be a big problems. But it might be a problem when you are younger and have some kind of gap of generations. your boy might be 11 years older, but he could be an old fashioned dude who likes older stuff or vice versa.

but if he would be 11 years younger than you that would be another thing. not sure about your age, but if you are around 20 then he would be like a teenager. wouldnt that be a pedophile?
maybe if you hit 30...
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

the gap between my girl and me is 1 year and three days.

Love is love. And if you love each other even though there is an age gap of 11 years, so be it. I don't have any trouble with that.
I would like to marry the princess of The Netherlands who will become queen one day. too bad she's only four years old. that would be an age gap.
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

if some like to be with older people so be it, other people dont have the right to judge you for that. but you have to draw a line somewhere and i guess it's that a 20years old DONT date a 10years old. and from 18years and up i dont think there should be any discussion with whoever you choose to date.
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

Yes I think it goes without saying that both people involved must be adults! Otherwise... very dodgy ground indeed (and creepy, too).
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

My grandfather and his spouse differed 20 years back in times of the first world war(1). My parents differ 20 years also. I don't think it is all that important to have an age gap as long as it works out between you.

(1) More controversial was the fact that she was taller than him. As such, he wore in-soles for their wedding photos.
Danny

Post by Danny »

My girlfriend and I are the same age, I'm only a few months older then her. Anyways, I don't think it to be a big difference. When your around 20 and friends with an 16 year old, well your in collage and his/her half way through high school aiming to get there, you can relate and get along well.

I guess that it's only seems a big difference when your like 10 and talking to a 5 year old, when there's hardly anything to relate to. It's more about the person then the age. It's never bother me at the seikens, but I was always wondering why. My older sister is 25 and I'm 16 and we get along fine, except from time to time which is normal! Same like in the seikens with mostly older, but some younger members then me.:|

*Dekky repied to that in another topic, so I got my answer already.*
Last edited by Danny on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

I really don't think the physical age (beyond obvious ones. :P ) matters so much as the emotional and mental. If both parties have a good chemistry- shouldn't matter if the gap's 5 years or 20.

So as long as both parties are happy? Sounds just fine to me. I've known some pretty mature 18 year olds and some pretty immature 40 year olds so yeah. :P
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

My wife is only 2 years older than I am. But my parents have a 5 year difference. Who cares though. Once you have a decent grip on the world, then you can do whatever the heck you want.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Lotus wrote:My wife is only 2 years older than I am. But my parents have a 5 year difference. Who cares though. Once you have a decent grip on the world, then you can do whatever the heck you want.
How very true. ???

There was a time, waaaay back in the day, when "pedophilia" wasn't such an overused, all-inclusive term. I can trace back my ancestors quite far (more than 5 generations) on at least one side of my family, and I happen to know that girls getting married at 12 was a rather common thing in the past, back before idiots spouting "genetic defects, Oh My Gosh!!", "you're too young!" and "child pregnancy! Abuse! Violation!" were accepted as the norm.

People are people. Stupid or smart as they come, the only maturity that actually matters, in any relationship, is that of the mind.

It just happens that most humans are stupid. Oh well. :-D
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I feel alone when I say this, but personally for me, myself, and I, (the hell with anyone else) that age-gaps are a huge factor for myself.
I personally feel very uncomfortable with the situation, if it were to ever happen to me. It has nothing to do with "If you really love the person, then it shouldn't matter" bullocks, it's something that I can't explain nor describe how I feel about the situation.

I don't have a reason to why I feel this way, but for some reason, it does.
Morals? Nay.

I've tried, and tried again... Girls younger then me, girls older then me, girls in the middle, purple girls, green girls, round girls, triangular girls... Nothing.

Part of me says that i'm still recovering from my last relationship, part of me says "You've tried, what's the point?" But enough about my woes, heed no attention to my rambles.

Idealistically, I would like a partner that's my age (would it be considered being too picky if I said it would drive me nuts if she is even a day older then I?), or even a year younger (even then, maturity factor also plays a huge role in whether I can tolerate the person or not).
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I work with a guy who is nine years apart from his wife. Age gap shouldn't matter as long as both parties are of age.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Destiny you just broke the hearts of every guy here at Seikens. :-P
Except Tallon I guess.

But yeah, like everyone else said, I only think big age differences like that matter when the two people are at different points in maturity. Psychology junk and whatnot. So once the two people reach that plateu or whatever it is cool and stuff.

Anyways I guess what it boils down to is that both of the people are happy.
Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

My feeling, and again, this is purely my feeling on the matter, is that it doesn't matter to a point. A few years difference isn't that big of a deal, but like Deques said, when you have a whole generation gap difference I think that's a little too much.

I do feel it does depend on maturity levels though. I, through events in my life, had to mature at a very young age, and guys my own age usually aren't as attractive (personality wise) as older more mature guys.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Heh. I guess I was on a bit of a soapbox when I posted earlier. Honestly (and I'm not saying I actually have anyone in mind) I would prefer someone close to my age, or slightly older. The maturity plays a big part however.

Though, there gets to be a point where, higher up the ladder, age is a ridiculous difference. IMO, anyway.