Unable to do anthing

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, plus it could be a bit of a lengthy process... Computers are never quick things to put right.. most of the time.

BTW, made the backup, just in case.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

This probably won't help too much, but... this is about exactly what happened to my HD when it got fried.

Now... all of that stuff I had on it was intact, it's just that... whatever made it "go/run" was kaput. One of the few nice things the people at the computer repair shop I took mine to did was to copy all of that stuff to a bigger, better new HD (I still have the old one sitting on top of my desk, oddly enough). Unfortunately there was something they didn't warn me about.

If you're using XP (and I assume from the content of your posts, you are), you may want to beware - if the people who copy your stuff aren't particularly bright, when they've transferred all the files and you have the replacement HD running, you may have to alter your permissions, so that the files don't lock you out of them when you try to move them (doing it afterwards doesn't help, I'm afraid).

This happened to me, and I'm sorry to say I lost several files and folders before I realized what was wrong (albeit, if I wanted to go back and recover the old files off the original again, I *could*).

Anyway, if you find this to be a problem and aren't sure how to change the permissions, I'll hunt up the link to the site that told me the solution.

Hope it goes well... :X
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

J, you talking about switching between Disk Formats? NTFS -> FAT32?
Danny

Post by Danny »

FAT32 is a lot better. I changed my (converted) from FAT16 to FAT32 and it works a whole lot better. I guess that it's based mostly on computers.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

FAT16 is really not advisable. it is unreliable and does not support partitions larger than 2 GB. Who uses FAT16 these days???

Fat32 is used for Windows9x (95, 96, 98, 99) and sometimes for 2000 and XP. IT's not recommended to use FAT32 if the partition size is larger than 20 GB.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

which filesystem i use has no difference. the harddrive has crashed and making it to fat32 wouldnt help anything
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

hey Kassidy, i am in the Mepis Linux now. Ive found a drive in the computer. how do i find the network drives?
and where is the data recovery tool you mentioned?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

You shoudl be able to access the network through K-Menu, Network Folders, Samba Shares. It should display the workgroup, and within that the same computesr that windows would, and the same shared drives. If not, just type in the URL bar "smb://computer-name/" and that should bring up the list of shares. Also try the IP address instead of the computer name.

As for the data recovery, just use Konqueror same as Windows Explorer to copy the files over the network. id the drive mount correctly using KwikDisk (bottom right of the screen, looks like three lego blocks in Isometric projection)? Normally it will automatically display the Konqueror window to view the files on that mounted drive whem manually mounted.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I rebooted with the harddrive plugged in. But i dont see the drive anywhere in the filysystem tool. so i guess, i cant recover with no help. i am going to let someone else to help me. hope he can help
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Hmm, maybe th problem does go deeper than the boot-sector being corrupt. Does it appear when you run QDisk? (Careful, this is a partition manager, so don't make any changes.)

Sorry I can't be much more help, it's hard to diagnose without seeing it. :(
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

i already took the harddrive out. too lazy to put it back

but after seeing how the jumper was put i now know that its a slave drive

i'll check more tomorrow. i forgot that i downloaded a bootdisk tool

but thanks anyway.

ps. linux seems nice. maybe i should start using it soon
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

hehehehe.... I just adore your lazyness, Deques!... hehehehe...