Trouble getting into Final Fantasy--what games do you like a

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

manaman wrote:I'm currently playing Final Fantasy on my iPod Touch. I really never could get into the series, so I'm trying my best. I'm actually excited about this release because I like the updates they put in and the fact that it's supposed to be a little more forgiving. I figure if I like this, I may be able to try other games in the main series. I have just tried VII so far since everyone says that's the best game ever made. Like DeadWolf I could not disagree more.

Peace,

manaman
kirby wrote:Try playing other games in the series especially the ones that were remade on the GBA, manaman.

That and I am almost the exact opposite of you on FF I own nearly every one except VII. The Boss music in I is good, final boss music in II, V, and VI are really good, I really do not like to give spoilers unless the majority of people know the data.
DeadWolf wrote:I personally like III and V because of the job system. You can really abuse it in V by grinding ability points.
kirby wrote:I really liked V but I did not really like III that much. You are not kidding in V by racking up the exp
DeadWolf wrote:I have to try my best not to ability grind when I play V so I won't break the game. I enjoy the customizations of mixing the different jobs. You really shouldn't have the god characters until the end and if you level like you're supposed to then it'll be a decent challenge. Grinding ability points really ruins the game.
kirby wrote:Then for once on a FF I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not even know what "god " characters are. I wnet through the game naturally, and let me tell you trying to master the "red mage" class is ridiculous you require 999 AP to upgrade the final time, except it also causes you to recieve the dualcast ability event hough it is more trouble than it is worth.
I figured we should maybe take this conversation elsewhere since I would like to dwell on it longer.

So, I was actually realizing, I've kind of lied. In the main series, I've picked up a few of the other games. It's just that I could never really get into them. I don't think under an hour counts as really playing them. The first game I made a real attempt at playing through was VII and I never finished it because it lost my attention.

When I was younger, my first Final Fantasy experience was with what was called III in the States. Right? That's the last one that was released in the US before VII came out? Anyway, the style of that one really intrigued me and I watched my cousin, who rented the game, play for a while and tried my hand for a little bit. I just couldn't get into it past that, however.

I believe it's Final Fantasy IX that interested me a lot because of the return to a fantasy theme as opposed to steam-punk or sci-fi. I really briefly watched a friend of mine who owned it play it and it actually looks like the next game I will try with the intention of seeing if I can beat it--that is unless I get a PS3 and play XIII since I like the idea that the battles are more active and the game is more linear. However, I hear that XII is pretty good--that was the first that used active battles, right?

I've always tried to tell myself I would work through these games since my best friend is a big fan of them and I love the Mana series and Rad Racer and through them I am very fond of Square(soft)(-Enix). Older RPG's don't seem to age as well as other types of games--probably because in a game that is mostly menu driven, visuals are important. That's why I'm plugging away at the iPhone version right now.

So--my question--if I can finish what I'm working on, it seems the iPhone port is what I'll play for the Japanese numbered I and II since I don't think there was ever a 3D DS version made of them. Then, am I right in assuming that an enhanced version of III through VI was made for DS at this point and those are the ones I should play? And then I can . . . MAYBE force myself to pick up where I left off in VII and then go through the rest easily since there is only one version out there for each?

Anyway, I will not force myself to do this too quickly and if I just don't like a game, I won't probably finish it. I just feel that it's my duty as a gamer to at least make an attempt--one that may take me a few years to finish. Thanks for your input,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

III and IV on the DS are pretty hard. I suggest getting V on the GBA if you can because it's a little bit easier unless you think you can handle the DS games

As far as I and II I have played just about every remake. I'd have to say that the PSP remakes are my favorite followed the the Dawn of Souls remake on the GBA. I don't think I could ever go back to play them on the NES because of how bugged they are.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

DeadWolf,

Thanks for the input. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that III and IV are harder on DS than they are in other versions but that it's worth it and I should play those, but V is just too hard and I should stick to the GBA one?

Also, the iPhone version is basically the PSP version with touch-based menus as far as I know, so I'm glad to hear they get good reviews from you.

Peace,

manaman
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

I really like the Final Fantasy series, although it's kind of been a mixed bag for me...

Final Fantasy IV was brilliant, it's one of my favorite RPGs on any console. There's just... Something about it that I like, I can't really describe it. Oh, and the DS remake is the best version available.
Final Fantasy was great, despite there being a lot of grinding at the beginning. Has a very nice retro, 8-bit charm to it.
Final Fantasy VI was incredible for the first half of the game, but at the second half, it became of shell of what it once was.
Final Fantasy V was decent, but I didn't like the job system. It put too much pressure on me to constantly swap jobs.
Final Fantasy III was... Eh. It was just okay, but there's nothing really special about it.
Final Fantasy II, well, I couldn't get in to it at all.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was also a superb game, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift was pretty good, too. I've never played any of the PlayStation ones, but IX looks really nice.

So, Final Fantasy IV was the game that got me in to the series. You might wanna try out that one. Just be warned that the DS version... Isn't very friendly to newcomers.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:DeadWolf,

Thanks for the input. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that III and IV are harder on DS than they are in other versions but that it's worth it and I should play those, but V is just too hard and I should stick to the GBA one?

Also, the iPhone version is basically the PSP version with touch-based menus as far as I know, so I'm glad to hear they get good reviews from you.

Peace,

manaman
I don't think there is a 3D remake of V and if there is please tell me. I'm not sure about version differences. I've never play III on the NES. I know IV seemed hard on SNES, GBA, and DS. Don't take everything I say to heart though. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan either and I have a hard time playing them too. I always lose interest after a good 5 - 10 hours
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

First, you messed me up a little with how long your post is.
Next, I, II, IV, V, and VI are for the GBA. III is for the DS. VII-IX are for the PSI. X, X - 2, and XII are for the PS2. XI is online for some reason.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

kirby, so you're saying I shouldn't bother with IV on the DS, but stick to the GBA version?

DeadWolf, I thought all the pre-Sony Final Fantasy's were remade for the DS except for I and II, but I just looked it up and you're right: V and VI haven't been remade yet. I assume they will be, though.

The Hooded Man, it sounds like kirby is suggesting to stay away from the DS version of IV. But you're saying it's the best. Care to argue? Oh, and I'm sorry to hear that about VI. . . .

Finally, I'm trying to stay away from all main-series spin-offs, tie-ins or direct sequels and focus on the originals now. Of course, I'm aware that at least IV, VII and XII have these. I've played a few hours of the XII sequel. Also, I've played a few Tactics games before and of course Adventure is really our series and Crystal Chronicles I feel is a distinct series as well--though I'm a fan.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

manaman wrote:The Hooded Man, it sounds like kirby is suggesting to stay away from the DS version of IV. But you're saying it's the best. Care to argue? Oh, and I'm sorry to hear that about VI. . . .
Final Fantasy IV for the DS is the best version mostly because the battles have been changed to be more strategic, whereas past versions of the game were focused a bit too much on just staying alive. The DS version is quite difficult, which is why it may not be the best for those who are new to the game, so you might want to get the original SNES version, unless you think you're up to the challenge. I can't really recommend Final Fantasy IV Advance. It's battle system is quite choppy and there can be a lot of lagging at times, especially at the final boss.

Most people don't mind the second half of Final Fantasy VI, since most people believe it to be the best in the series. I personally think it felt like Square did one of two things; they were lazy and just wanted to get the game done already, or they came up with a really bad idea and thought it'd be good to include. The entire thing is basically one huge grind for the final dungeon.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Thanks for the input, THM!
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I've played the SNES versions (emulated) of Final Fantasys IV, V and VI, then the I and II remakes for the GBA, then the III and IV remakes for the DS, and VII and VIII on the PSP (not remakes; they're just copies of the original PS1 versions).

Of these games, I liked III for its freedom. You can make any of the four characters your main one, and give them any class you like. It didn't have a lot of story to it, but of the first four FFs I liked it best.

I, II and IV were okay, but not great IMHO. Many people like IV for its better story, but it didn't really grab me.

V and VI had both good stories and some gameplay innovations that I liked. I'm still waiting for DS remakes of them though.

VII is the first of the modern FFs. Its story is good, but I think some fans are worshipping it a little too much. It also has some great music. VIII I'm playing at the moment, and I like its story better than VII actually. The music isn't remarkable though.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I didn't really get an appreciation for the music in VII until I played Crisis Core.

Manaman, play Crisis Core if you can. Best game on the PSP. Just look how epic the opening is
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

That is pretty epic, DeadWolf. But it would require me getting a PSP and I really don't like the look of the UMD-equipped offerings. . . . :( Crisis Core has some sort of spinning lottery style combat system, correct? I think I played a bit of it at a demo kiosk for the PSP.

Thanks for your input, Kimiko. If I'm not mistaken, III is the first to have airships, right?
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

III was the first to have multiple airships, but regular airships were around since the first Final Fantasy.

Also, I might as well say that if the series really just doesn't feel like it's something that you'd enjoy, you shouldn't force yourself to play the games. Final Fantasy, popular as it is, just isn't for everyone, and that's perfectly fine.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

THM,

That's probably the most level-headed response I've ever seen from anyone--in real life or on the webs--regarding Final Fantasy!

You're right, in a sense. But, I guess I'm trying to educate myself more at this point. I'm actually enjoying this first game on my iPod. I think that I'm more a fan of the fantasy inspired games. The steam-punk and sci-fi loses me--as I've said before. The only real exception I can tell at this point is the latest game coming out (it looks pretty spectacular and pretty-sci-fi (read: Avatar-like as opposed to Alien-like), so I'm into that. I've also played a little of Cerberus Dirge (or whatever the name was) and I could sort of get into it so I may like Crisis Core like DeadWolf was saying.

Basically, I just want to give the series a fair shot. I was pretty prejudiced against it in the past before I had any real experience with it. Once I had some experiences, though they all didn't match up with each other, I was pretty much certain I would never like the series. Lately, and especially after my experience with Vay on my iPod, I began to feel like it was worth at least giving each game a shot. Now it's just so hard to know what version to play because there are so many remakes. But it's kind of fun to look. Who knows if this will pan out.

Thanks for your help,

manaman
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Well, I can't say I'm familiar with your situation, but if you like the game, then that's great.

Although, I did recently buy Final Fantasy II on the iPod Touch. Just for times when I'm really bored, I can just say "Eh, let's work on Final Fantasy II a bit." So far, I like the great graphics and cool music, but the controls kind of frustrate me. They make it pretty difficult to talk to NPCs that move around, don't you think?