Trouble getting into Final Fantasy--what games do you like a

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Trouble getting into Final Fantasy--what games do you li

Post by DeadWolf »

tl;dr

I have 8 also but I've never had the time nor the patience to play through it. Maybe I'll put int on my list after Dragon Age.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

DeadWolf wrote:tl;dr

I have 8 also but I've never had the time nor the patience to play through it. Maybe I'll put int on my list after Dragon Age.
Agreed, DeadWolf, agreed. At least there are people posting on this part of the forum because an hour or so ago there was no one in this section.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

The final battle consists of four parts IIRC.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

It is nice to see FF8 get a fair shake in a review, even with its multitude of story and miscellaneous problems. Since people always seem to get so hung up on nostalgia, the style the series used to have, and of course; FF7 still casting its enormous shadow over everything, the game rarely seems to get judged on its own merits.

Still... I love the game despite its faults, it can get very exciting and has very some heart warming moments... Squall carrying Rinoa over the train tracks is :heart:.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Kimiko wrote:The final battle consists of four parts IIRC.
Thank you, but you do know that the final battle in FFVI also consists of 4 sections.

Also, I read in a piece of fan-fiction somewhere in which the train scene in FFVIII was actually performed the other way around, where Rinoa actually carried Squall out, which I liked greatly.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Wow,

Thanks for all the input on Final Fantasy. I ended up getting stuck in the first game and was too prideful to look up a walkthrough. Therefore, contrary to my signature currently telling you I'm playing it for the iPhone OS, I'm actually not--and haven't . . . for a while.

I'm honestly not sure the series is for me. I respect it for what it did, but I need a break from it. I may try to rent or borrow one of the DS games since I may appreciate a solid remake and not just a glossy fresh coat of new, colorful pixels, but we'll see.

Peace,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Don't waste your money on XIII. If you want the story just read it off of a wiki or something. XIII is by far the worst final fantasy ever made.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey The Hooded Man,

You're right, it's not quite as smooth as it should be to talk to NPC's. It still boggles my mind when developers on the iDevices don't completely make use of the device. I mean, it should be a simple tap on the NPC and you're talking. It couldn't be easier! Ah, well.

Yeah, the first game will be something I'll probably break out from time to time when I want to work on it a bit. So far, though, I think Vay is actually the better turn based RPG offering on the app store.

Peace,

manaman
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

I'm honestly not sure the series is for me. I respect it for what it did, but I need a break from it. I may try to rent or borrow one of the DS games since I may appreciate a solid remake and not just a glossy fresh coat of new, colorful pixels, but we'll see.
That's perfectly fine, even the most popular things cannot claim everyone's approval. If Final Fantasy is exhausting it's appeal for you, then I'd recommend against the two DS games. Final Fantasy III in particular will have even the mightiest RPG warriors in tears.
Hey The Hooded Man,

You're right, it's not quite as smooth as it should be to talk to NPC's. It still boggles my mind when developers on the iDevices don't completely make use of the device. I mean, it should be a simple tap on the NPC and you're talking. It couldn't be easier! Ah, well.
Considering that most of the NPCs in the game are like emotionless drones, they're not going to have very interesting things to say to you. Are you like me, where you have to talk to every NPC you see?

...Regardless, that is why I don't exactly use iPhones for serious gaming. The purely touch-based setup is a bit difficult for my clumsy fingers to navigate.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

The Hooded Man wrote: ...Regardless, that is why I don't exactly use iPhones for serious gaming. The purely touch-based setup is a bit difficult for my clumsy fingers to navigate.
I have a fully touch screen phone and I hate it. I want my keypad back.

I don't really see how the touch screen would really make a game like Final Fantasy hard. There isn't a need for precise, accurate movement. I can understand it being irritating for something like Contra or Mega Man where a small mistake can cost you the game.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I've played a lot of the earlier ones (FFI-FFV) and while they WERE good, I couldnt get into them as much as I did VI. I played FFXI and it was awesome up until my server turned into a bunch of elitist /NIN mongers.

But meh, I'm more of a fan of the Dragon Quest series and Chrono Trigger.
Last edited by Duran on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

DeadWolf wrote:I don't really see how the touch screen would really make a game like Final Fantasy hard. There isn't a need for precise, accurate movement.
It's not a game-ruining flaw or anything, it just feels a bit awkward to control, but I guess that's just me.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes,

I'm totally that kind of player that will talk to everyone. In fact, I usually do it multiple times until I've seen that the character has cycled though all its speeches.

As far as touch screen games go, I've had no problem with them when they are done well. That even includes games like Earthworm Jim and others that do require finesse. The problem is when it's just not quite right. And it's not a deal breaker in Final Fantasy, but it's just not as good as it could be.

Peace,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:Yes,

I'm totally that kind of player that will talk to everyone. In fact, I usually do it multiple times until I've seen that the character has cycled though all its speeches.

As far as touch screen games go, I've had no problem with them when they are done well. That even includes games like Earthworm Jim and others that do require finesse. The problem is when it's just not quite right. And it's not a deal breaker in Final Fantasy, but it's just not as good as it could be.

Peace,

manaman
It would take you forever to do some of the Bethesda RPGs or Dragon Age. I'm the same way and that's why I tend to favor stuff like the original Suikoden over Oblivion because it doesn't seem to drag on as much.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes, I really do like Suikoden. Have you had a chance to try the DS game? It's been on my list but I keep pushing it back for other games.