Trouble getting into Final Fantasy--what games do you like a

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

THM,

You are right about the moving NPC thing. I've found tapping directly on the character works perfectly, however. I just don't know why you couldn't as easily tap anywhere like you can with just about every other character. Still, that's my experience in the first game. I haven't downloaded the second since I'm still finishing the first.

I'm really enjoying the first, actually--though I lost about an hours worth of work when the app crashed and I hadn't saved--stupidly. I think I was taking for granted the new-fangled gadgetry and not suspecting that the RPG's worst bane could happen even on something as slick as an iPod Touch.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know my progress,

manaman
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

There has been so much posted here since i have last been on it is hard to find somewhere to start.
First, the FFIV for the GBA has the bonus Lunar Ruins Dungeon, and in order to unlike all of the Lunar Ruins you must beat Zeromus 3 times. I think that the only real place I had to worry about staying alive was the bonus dungeons, besides the Lunar Ruins, and the Tower of Zot, otherwise it is pretty strategy based. The Ds version does not include the Lunar Ruins though so that sort of dissapoints me I was hoping that when it would come out it would.

Another thing I read was that you are stuck in FFI where are you at? I have the entire plot and maps memorized, so I can help you pretty easily.
Last edited by kirby on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

kirby wrote:There has been so much posted here since i have last been on it is hard to find somewhere to start.
First, the FFIV for the GBA has the bonus Lunar Ruins Dungeon, and in order to unlike all of the Lunar Ruins you must beat Zeromus 3 times.
I didn't think the Lunar Ruins was very impressive, aside from Kain's segment of it. Still, it's the only bonus of the Advance ports that I actually had the patience to play through...
manaman wrote:Still, that's my experience in the first game. I haven't downloaded the second since I'm still finishing the first.
Well, I might as well say that you should probably hold off on the second. It's widely agreed to be the worst Final Fantasy due to it's very awkward leveling system.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I guess it doesn't matter since there's no real order. Okay, new topic for this thread:

What order SHOULD I play these games in. I think I've got it narrowed down to the following titles:

Final Fantasy (iPod Touch)
Final Fantasy II (iPod Touch)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES for nostalgia's sake)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

IF I like a game that has a direct sequel or spin-off, I may play it. For now, this is my already overwhelming list.

Input?

Also, has anyone attempted a sort of chronology for these games or is that just dumb because of how different the games are?
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I'm not a big fan of the series, as a whole. However, I do have respect for the earlier releases.

My first FF game was FFVI (III in the US), and It was probably the only game I really enjoyed. The character's were both lovable and memorable, and even though it was a 16-bit game, the soundtrack was gorgeous.

With FFVII, I could never really get into it, but I tried, since a friend of mine was into it. The one thing I have to say about it, is that it's extremely overrated. I didn't care for any of the characters and the fact that they show little to no development throughout the game, I found them to be fairly bland, as the reoccurring theme around a number of them was obsession with someone or something.

VIII-X, never really interest me at all, so I never played them.

FFXI...where do I begin. Like with most MMOs, this one revolves around the general community and depending on your experiences with said communities, will either make or break the game for someone. It's main drawback is the fact that a large number of the game's population are elitists. The server I was in was no exception. If they want a particular job combination, then you'll either HAVE to go with it, or be left to fend for yourself, especially if they dub a "see-all, be-all" job, in most cases, they would want it combined with every other job. Complying with the communities demands has it's benefits at the expense of your individuality, as you pretty much become like everyone else.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Manaman - I'd play them in order, just for chronology's sake. The stories are completely unrelated, but playing them in order you get to see how the series evolved over time.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

I am sorry to say but I have to disagree with Kimiko here. If FFI and II for the ipod have the bonus dungeons go for it Manaman. Otherwise I would say play FFVI on the GBA instead of on the SNES because the 2 bonus dungeons are wicked tough, even I have not beaten the Soul Shrine yet. FFIII and X however I would tell you to play last since out of all of them those two take the longest, especially if you do not know how to use the WiFi connection with your DS.

FFV I think is really good, the bonus dungeon though is even tougher than the one FFIV or it could quite possibly outrank the Dragon's Den of FFVI.

I will say however they have made a sequel to FFIV I think on WiiWare or something, and if you have not gone through the Lunar Ruins some stuff will not be recognized though.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:I guess it doesn't matter since there's no real order. Okay, new topic for this thread:

What order SHOULD I play these games in. I think I've got it narrowed down to the following titles:

Final Fantasy (iPod Touch)
Final Fantasy II (iPod Touch)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES for nostalgia's sake)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

IF I like a game that has a direct sequel or spin-off, I may play it. For now, this is my already overwhelming list.

Input?

Also, has anyone attempted a sort of chronology for these games or is that just dumb because of how different the games are?
XII is ridiculously long. There are bosses that take 3 hours to beat them if you are fast. It's also very different than the rest of the FF games. If you want to narrow it down to the good ones do III, V, VI, and IX.
Last edited by DeadWolf on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

XII is long DeadWolf except it is easier than X is. I actually never made it to the final dungeon in FFX because you must face 3 bosses in a row in order to enter (or was it 4?). I never was able to beat the first two fast enough though. The extra bosses in XII take a long time (especially the summons if you run into any of them early in the game), but most of them you can beat with a good amount of strategy though.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Here's just most two cents on my very incomplete experience with this series:

FFIII: I have only played the remake and was not impressed. I felt the graphics had no charm and the class system was completely wack. Sadly, it's been so long since I've played it, I don't remember much on the plot or dialogue. I do remember vaguely the dialogue being rather unengaging. I just felt like I was going through the motions of game play rather than actually getting involved with the plot, story and characters.

FFVII: I really enjoyed this game. I like the characters, plot and world a lot, loved the music, but I agree with many people in this thread in that it is overrated. The hype around the game kills a little of my love for it, but rabid fandom has that effect on everything.
Not to mention Advent Children was a terrible movie. Gorgeous graphics and it was great to hear all the old music again, but it was really little more than a something to milk more money out of the fans (I felt, anyway).

FFVIII: I remember liking this one a lot. Did not care for the draw system and I did not care for the "let's cash in on the mopey angst-boy fad!" thing they were doing with the main character. Still, Squall wasn't too bad of a character and his gun-sword made me うはwwwwww. Was never able to finish the game, and I don't remember why.
I really, really liked the summon system in this one. Like, a lot. More games should be this way. As you use the summons, that creature becomes more compatible with you and can be summoned faster with each use by that character. Love it.

FFIX: I remember having a lot of fun with this game, but then right as I'm on the last disk, life got busy and by the time I could get back around to playing it I could not remember for the life of me what I was supposed to do. Sad times. Super long game, but from what I remember about it, I recommend this one.
As a side note: Freya was my favorite character until the whole Sir Fratley thing. I. Hate. Fridging. That is all.

FFX: Good world. Wonderful plot. Decent battle system. HATED the two main characters. God, Tidus and Yuna were the worst ever. I found myself wondering if I had time to go make myself a sandwich during their little "romantic" kissing scene (no, that isn't a spoiler. It's pretty much implied from the beginning it would come to that). Apparently I got to just before the final boss(es?) when I gave up. The game was really grating on me and I couldn't tell you why.
Also: the Lulu-Wakka pairing was rather silly. And Kimuri was a useless character. You can say what you want about being able to learn abilities from other people's spheres or whatever. Kimuri was there because the creators came up with a great design and couldn't bear to part with it.

FFX-2: It isn't like me to judge a game I've never played, but everything I've seen about this game makes me want to facepalm. It's one giant magic-girl fanservice fest complete with its copious amounts of frivolous costume changes. What it seems to lack in substance, it makes up for in boobs. All the research I've done on this game has only ended in eye rolling.

I guess I like the series better than I thought. Eh, oh well. For some reason when the subject comes up, a negative response is the first one that I feel. Maybe someone else can explain that one to me.

Don't try to force yourself into liking any of the games or try to force yourself to play through a game you don't care for, no matter how much the fans say otherwise. It's just a silly thing to do. Video games have no practical application to real life, really. We do it because we enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, then why bother?
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Try playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That game is made of so much suck it makes Mario Is Missing look like an enthralling piece of entertainment.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest = Final Fantasy "Easy Mode"
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tyrfillich wrote:Try playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That game is made of so much suck it makes Mario Is Missing look like an enthralling piece of entertainment.
That game was made for the dumbed down non-rpg playing Americans.

NightshadeTea, I think we are exact opposites when it comes to FF. I find the older 2D games to be amazing and the 3D ones to be horrible. I enjoy IX I guess because it's a throwback to the original style I'm use to. VII and VIII don't feel like Final Fantasy games to me because they lost everything that was supposed to make it Final Fantasy, imo. I don't think VII and VIII are bad games. I just think they are the few worst ones out of the franchise.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

DeadWolf wrote:
Tyrfillich wrote:Try playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That game is made of so much suck it makes Mario Is Missing look like an enthralling piece of entertainment.
That game was made for the dumbed down non-rpg playing Americans.

NightshadeTea, I think we are exact opposites when it comes to FF. I find the older 2D games to be amazing and the 3D ones to be horrible. I enjoy IX I guess because it's a throwback to the original style I'm use to. VII and VIII don't feel like Final Fantasy games to me because they lost everything that was supposed to make it Final Fantasy, imo. I don't think VII and VIII are bad games. I just think they are the few worst ones out of the franchise.
I am sorry but I agree with Dead Wolf for once, except I can not really give an opinion on VII, VIII, or IX because I do not own VII, and the other two I did not get very far through because I do not have a PS1 memory card at the house I have them yet. III was just awful to no living end though I had to use an action replay to make it to the final area (where you face the warriors of darkness). That and due to the fact I do not know how to use WiFi I can not obtain the bonus material in the game.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

A lot of people seem to hate III and it's mostly because of its difficulty. I admit the game is pretty rage inducing at times but it's a good game (or else the wouldn't remake it). The job system isn't broken like a lot of people claim. You just can't jump back and forth and abuse it with out a little repercussion is all. Certain areas force you to change to a specific job in order to complete them (like the one at the beginning where you're shrunken and have to rely on your mages) The way the job system is used in III provides another level of challenge for the game. It requires you to think and plan carefully instead of just jumping in a dungeon running through it like Rambo. III is a true classic RPG that isn't dumbed down for the average gamer.