Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

IMissSqrSoft
Mushboom
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 am

Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by IMissSqrSoft » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 pm

*feeling like I just discovered the matrix, man*

...It's my first time seeing this. I duno what to believe after reading it. All I know is that its really cool to think about. Maybe some of you guys already have read this before. If you have'nt I hope after reading it, I haven't ruined a major part of your childhood :P.

you'll understand what I mean after reading it:

http://cartoonoveranalyzations.com/2009 ... explained/

feel free to discuss

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I read this a while ago when it was posted on Serebii. As far as crazy ramblings go, it's pretty crazy, I should know, I'm an expert. But I did find it an enjoyable read overall, very creative. But as a die hard supporter of Team Rocket, the thought of Ash spending the rest of his life in a coma has me gleeful stitches. Fork Ash.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Duran » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Fork you and fork Team Rocket!

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Duran wrote:Fork you and fork Team Rocket!
Please, enough of the trolling already.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Duran » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 pm

You sound as if I've done nothing but troll.

I only said the previous statement because I am an Ash cosplayer and to be honest, I don't see team Rocket as much of a threat. ;)

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Of course. It wouldn't be you if it weren't inflammatory. :D

If you say it in terms that are relevant to the topic we could actually have a conversation. And yeah, stating the obvious, they've never been much of a threat, their semi-uselessness is part of what makes me find them so funny and charming, along with their extravagant flamboyance. JJ&M make the show a pleasure to watch, and Ash on the other hand, is someone I've never found particularly exciting as a character, but I will readily admit he is necessary and he has his moments, even if I don't like to look at him.

User avatar
Ailise
Site Admin
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Ailise » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am

Nice article, even if I haven't really seen pokemon, neither a fan of it.
I understood what the writer meant and it sounded logical for me anyway :P

(^^,)

Koeia
BuzzBee
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Koeia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:22 am

I liked the theory on how all Uchiha were descendants from Demons, but thats pretty offtopic.

Edit: Which is here http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=106576
if you want to take a look.

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 am

The reasoning behind it seems to be a lot more believable though, in comparison to the Ash living his life in a coma story that is, which is just silly. Though I can't claim to know anything about Naruto, it's not really my thing.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Duran » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Tekka wrote:Of course. It wouldn't be you if it weren't inflammatory. :D

If you say it in terms that are relevant to the topic we could actually have a conversation. And yeah, stating the obvious, they've never been much of a threat, their semi-uselessness is part of what makes me find them so funny and charming, along with their extravagant flamboyance. JJ&M make the show a pleasure to watch, and Ash on the other hand, is someone I've never found particularly exciting as a character, but I will readily admit he is necessary and he has his moments, even if I don't like to look at him.
While JJ&M are comic relief, the repetition of their behavior has become very stale, especially after so many years of it. I'll admit, they DO have their moments, however, aside from the more important episodes, they're really nothing more than space-filler and the story would progress just fine without them trying to catch pikachu amongst the more pressing matters.

Ash is your standard protagonist. Like every other child his age, he strives to learn more about pokemon as well as becoming the best trainer in the world. In a sense, he is to Pokemon as Ryu is to Street Fighter. The only difference is that Ash has more of a personality and is more than willing to help out others. Also being the goody two-shoes, makes him an ideal role-model for children with his focus on friendship with both his companions (Brock, Misty, May, Max, Tracey, & Dawn) and his pokemon and his ethics of "doing what's right." His only downside, I see, is the fact that he's completely oblivious to the fact that 3 of his companions have developed feelings for him and I think that a relationship would help him mature a bit more as a character.

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Awesome. :) You're quite right, but repetition of a theme is what makes the show go around however, from JJ to Ash-tachi. There's a near consistent formula from episode to episode, which is why I feel it's important to note that TR's standard behaviour is no more stale than that of the rest of the cast, considering the many hundreds of times we've seen the formula repeated. That sadly is also why we'll probably never see Ash in a relationship, since that's not what Pokemon is about, but that also scuppers my hopes of seeing TR end up as they did in Electric Tale of Pikachu. </3

Speaking of which, I often find myself wondering how it's all going to end, since it has to eventually. Whether the series will just abruptly stop one day, or if everything will be wrapped up in a movie. The latter probably being the best chance we ever have of character relationships progressing beyond what we've already seen. Though I would imagine, whichever route is taken, it will leave a lot of things unresolved.

And speaking again of progressing relationships, I feel we've made a little bit of progress today, too. <3 Haha.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Duran » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Tekka wrote:Awesome. :) You're quite right, but repetition of a theme is what makes the show go around however, from JJ to Ash-tachi. There's a near consistent formula from episode to episode, which is why I feel it's important to note that TR's standard behaviour is no more stale than that of the rest of the cast, considering the many hundreds of times we've seen the formula repeated. That sadly is also why we'll probably never see Ash in a relationship, since that's not what Pokemon is about, but that also scuppers my hopes of seeing TR end up as they did in Electric Tale of Pikachu. </3

Speaking of which, I often find myself wondering how it's all going to end, since it has to eventually. Whether the series will just abruptly stop one day, or if everything will be wrapped up in a movie. The latter probably being the best chance we ever have of character relationships progressing beyond what we've already seen. Though I would imagine, whichever route is taken, it will leave a lot of things unresolved.

And speaking again of progressing relationships, I feel we've made a little bit of progress today, too. <3 Haha.
Don't bet on it... >=3

As for the series itself, they're apparently going back to Johto (for HG/SS), despite the fact that they've been there before, which means they're practically repeating the earlier seasons, but with a new female lead in the form of Kotone/Lyra. As for Ash, he actually develops some semblance of a relationship in the Japanese versions, however 4-Kids and The Pokemon Company saw it best to cover it up as much as possible for the English release.

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Duran wrote:Don't bet on it... >=3

As for the series itself, they're apparently going back to Johto (for HG/SS), despite the fact that they've been there before, which means they're practically repeating the earlier seasons, but with a new female lead in the form of Kotone/Lyra. As for Ash, he actually develops some semblance of a relationship in the Japanese versions, however 4-Kids and The Pokemon Company saw it best to cover it up as much as possible for the English release.
Not quite, even in the original show there's only gratuitous amounts of hinting, as always, never an explicit relationship. It is quite cruel the way they do it though, leading everyone on then ejecting the girls from the party for someone new.

Returning to Johto is very unlikely. The first reason being Generation 5 is coming at the end of the year, and of course, Lyra's part in DP has already ended, and there's not enough time between now and the release of Gen5 to do another tour of Johto.

They didn't return for another tour of Kanto when FRLG came out either, so it stands to reason the same will apply to HGSS.

Generation 5's release is the most pressing factor though. With DP coming to an end this year and the release of the next generation looming for the Chrismas period, it's very unlikely we'll see a lengthy filler arc.

So far, the only reason I can see for Ash returning to Johto, would be for the Battle Frontier. If he did, it would make a nice buffer between the end of DP and the start of Gen5, but another tour of the whole region is out of the question.
Last edited by Tekka on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Duran » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Tekka wrote:
Duran wrote:Don't bet on it... >=3

As for the series itself, they're apparently going back to Johto (for HG/SS), despite the fact that they've been there before, which means they're practically repeating the earlier seasons, but with a new female lead in the form of Kotone/Lyra. As for Ash, he actually develops some semblance of a relationship in the Japanese versions, however 4-Kids and The Pokemon Company saw it best to cover it up as much as possible for the English release.
Not quite, even in the original show there's only gratuitous amounts of hinting, as always, never an explicit relationship. It is quite cruel the way they do it though, leading everyone on then ejecting the girls from the party for someone new.

Returning to Johto is very unlikely. The first reason being Generation 5 is coming at the end of the year, and of course, Lyra's part in DP has already ended, and there's not enough time between now and the release of Gen5 to do another tour of Johto.

They didn't return for another tour of Kanto when FRLG came out either, so it stands to reason the same will apply to HGSS.
Interesting, seeing as how I recall seeing an OP featuring Lyra and Ash back in Johto, which led me to believe that they were going back to Johto.
Generation 5's release is the most pressing factor though. With DP coming to an end this year and the release of the next generation looming for the Chrismas period, it's very unlikely we'll see a lengthy filler arc.

So far, the only reason I can see for Ash returning to Johto, would be for the Battle Frontier. If he did, it would make a nice buffer between the end of DP and the start of Gen5, but another tour of the whole region is out of the question.
Seriously...D/P was about pokemon Gods...where else is there left to go.

User avatar
Tekka
Emberman
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Dark Side of The Light
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by Tekka » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Purely out of curiosity, which OP was this?

The Pokemon gods story was silly, so now hopefully it's time to get back to basics. Defeating gods and turning them into your own personal servants is the kind of story I would expect from a Megaten game. But in Pokemon the same story just seems ludicrous. Considering you could theoretically defeat Arceus and its entire pantheon with a Wigglytuff. Then of course you get to cart them around in Pokeballs and make them do the bidding of a ten year old protagonist... Forcing the creators of the known universe to do stupid crap like battle level 2 Rattatas, or jump hurdles in the Pokeathlon. o_O;

So, yes. I'm looking forward to getting away from DP's story and enjoying something that doesn't try to be quite so 'epic'.

Post Reply