Secret Of Mana Sample?

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

Secret Of Mana Sample?

Post by Khyron »

I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan and for 10 years I've wanted to ask another Mana fan this: Did Gabriel sample the Howler for the chorus of "Darkness"? The sample is used several times, the first being at 2:29. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Re: Secret Of Mana Sample?

Post by Kassidy »

Gosh, that is eerily similar, well spotted. I'd have to rip the sample from SoM and speed it up to the same pitch to see if it lines up.

It could be that the effect was achieved using the same technique by both teams working on the album and on the game.

Interesting to note, while we're at it, that SoM had the cream of the cream working on the sound. Kikuta on the OST, and Ito (FFA et al) and Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Cross) on sound effects.

I'll do some more digging.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Thanks, Kassidy! I remember purchasing that album 10 years ago, popping it into my CD player for the first time and going: "Whoa! That's a Howler!!!" Of course when I shared this revelation with my girlfriend at the time was slightly less than impressed... perhaps that's why she's not my wife. :P
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Seems a bit too high pitched to me, but definitely sounds really close.

Reminds me of the bit of music in Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door that sounds a bit like something from Secret of Mana +. When Spike sees all the butterflies it almost sounds exactly the same, I'll have to search that up again.