Anime Thread 2.0

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Right, in my drunken state I am going to list the anime series that I have acquired from my little sis while she was visiting... It's any wonder I will get any work done whatsoever...

-Ayakashi
-Black Blood Brothers
-Final Fantasy Unlimited
-Full Metal Panic
-Kemonozume
-Mermaid Forest
-Planetes
-Read or Die TV
-Samurai Champloo
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Speed Grapher
-Tide Line Blue
-xxxHolic
-Weis Kreuz

I think there were more, but currently I am far too passed my standard state of inebriation to this straight... I'm sure that come the morning I shall be more coherent.
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Hmmmm. I'm a bit of an Anime Buff...

Midori no Hibi: Young lonely fellow needs a girlfriend. One night, he wishes really hard. The next morning, he has a girl for a hand O_o;;

Air:Young traveling fellow lands in a nearly all female town, searching for a "girl with pure white wings"

Lucky Star: 4-chan meme to the highest degree. Only Rozen Maiden still remains as a more popular spam.

Tsukihime(spelling check needed) Young lad who can cut anything cuts a vampire princess. One thing leads to another, and he is caught in a war.
Danny

Post by Danny »

A girl from Phantasia is also an anime of a guy that wishes for a girlfriend and gets a 'magical' one. It's an action and humor type of anime like most. I've only since very little of it and I'm trying to re-find it. I will in my summer vaction when I can draw, game, watch anime, read manga! *Drools*

Ahem, sorry about that. I got carried away.^_^ That anime is pretty funny, I'll try to find a clip of it to post here on the web. There was a nice comerical of it. That girl from Phantsia always gets into fights with other girls like her. It's funny to see the main character (the guy) always getting caught in between a magic fight fight between his girl friend and some other magic using girls.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Kassidy wrote:Right, in my drunken state I am going to list the anime series that I have acquired from my little sis while she was visiting... It's any wonder I will get any work done whatsoever...

-Ayakashi
-Black Blood Brothers
-Final Fantasy Unlimited
-Full Metal Panic
-Kemonozume
-Mermaid Forest
-Planetes
-Read or Die TV
-Samurai Champloo
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Speed Grapher
-Tide Line Blue
-xxxHolic
-Weis Kreuz

I think there were more, but currently I am far too passed my standard state of inebriation to this straight... I'm sure that come the morning I shall be more coherent.
Dude, ROD the TV is so freaking awesome! (Technically, its called Read or Dream, but its roughly the same series)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Interesting, everywhere I've looked people call it Read or Die (though I see now that it does list Read or Dream as one of the alternate titles to ROD The TV). I'm looking forward to it. :)
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Read or Die made me laugh. Every time I hear "Za Paypah" I just want to die XD
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Kassidy wrote:Interesting, everywhere I've looked people call it Read or Die (though I see now that it does list Read or Dream as one of the alternate titles to ROD The TV). I'm looking forward to it. :)
Both Read or Die and Read or Dream are two different stories in the same universe, but its relatively the same series. This is the best way you can tell the two apart:
- Read or Die revolves around Yomiko Readman
- Read or Dream revovles around The Paper Sisters

Because of this, both of those stories will overlap in ROD the TV.
Last edited by Duran on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Okay, waaaay too many posts to comment on, so I'll just post the shows I'm watching this season (I'm probably watching too many...).

Past seasons: Bleach, Nodame Cantabile.

This season:
* Lucky Star - Hilarious WTF comedy, starring the actress behind Haruhi Suzumiya. A few sigs on this forum had an animated GIF containing one of the dance sequences from the OP.
* Romeo x Juliet - Someone already mentioned this one.
* Gigantic Formula - Interesting sci-fi so far, better characters and plot than backstory.
* Nagasarete Airantou - A rather wacky fanservice/harem comedy.
* Seto no Hanayome (Bride of Seto) - Another wacky comedy, but not so much fanservice. I first learned about this on a Gangan "p/review audio drama" CD.
* Emma Act 2 - For you romance types.
* Hayate the Combat Butler - The title itself is a play on the phrase "Combat Battler" (well, it would be if transliterated into kana). One of those series that pokes fun at anything anime-related, including itself.
* Nanoha StrikerS - And now, a bigger season!
* sola - This one's an intriguing mix of Japanese mysticism (for lack of a better term) and slice-of-life.
* Shining Tears X Wind - Based on a game. It's okay so far, not that I had high expectations from it.

There might be one or two more shows, I'm having trouble keeping track lately.

I'm finding more and more WTF-style comedy anime, usually based on 4-panel comic manga (or yon-koma)-- Hidamari Sketch is one from last season (and Lucky Star is eerily similar in format). They're neat in that you can pick up the first or the last episode, and you won't miss a big storyline through the whole series; in fact, most episodes contain mini-episodes and quick plot points (mainly since the anime uses the material from the manga).

Subtitles? I dun need no stinkin' subtitles (unless I make 'em :P )!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Elazul wrote:
Danny wrote:My sister loves Howl's moving castle and Kikki's delivery's service as well as many others in those series. I never really got them... Anyways, I also really liked another pretty old anime called Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodic. Once agian, it was really messed up in English.

Well, at least in Canada I know that they edited out fighting and made the blood green, blue, white ot transparent. They waren't fooling anyone, it was blood! But they did annoy the heck out of some people like me. It was a lot better in original Japanese (the Canadian voices were once again not good), so I did watch this series off the web in original Japanese with English subtitles.

This anime was popular in about the same time that DB/Z, Record of the Lodoss War, Flames of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho were. There were also others, but these were my favorites.
Saint Seiya was a huge success here in my country. it is probably the first anime that I've watched, I can think it as a part of my childhood. :-P
The anime was so popular that some years ago, they re-dubbed it and put the anime on TV again. and it still on air in a channel. They even put the vocalist of a heavy metal band to sing the opening theme. ^^

The portuguese(brazilian) dub of this anime is good, but I still prefer the japanese one. :P
Sorry for the late reply.^-^; Anyways, Saint Seiya was also one of the first animes I saw too in my home country (Romania) when I was small. There was no Romanian cast (since they never bothered to ever translate into Romanian), but I've seen the French, Spanish and Italian version. Then I saw the original Japanese version off the web with English subtitles which was and still is my favorite version.

I also saw it in Canada in the English version which was the worst version. The U.S and Canadian versions were the same that time, I think. Instead of Saint Seiya, they changed in to Knight of the Zodiac and put some bad music in the opening theme. And of course it was edited (blue blood, fight scences cut off, etc.).

Lots of animes were edited and destoryed like this. It didn't stay very long on since they put it late at night like all animes and put their bad shows on during the time for so they could get ratings and not import any more animes... they were jealous.

I've also noticed that Canada and the U.S is less mature then Europe and Asia when it comes to anime violence, even though their own shows use lots of it. It's worse and easier for a child to copy a guy using a knife in a show like in a English program then Goku using the Kamehameha wave on a bolder in DBZ... There's also more gang violence, rapes and drugs in Canada and then U.S then Europe or Asia depite what they may say.

I miss seeing good animes in Romania... They even had them in original Japanese with Romanian, English, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles! They had the subtitles for the other versions too. Cartoon Network was awesome, too bad they only have Y-T.V for animes in Canada. I think Canada should at least try to follow the U.S example and have slightly better animes and mangas on t.v and in stores.
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

Danny wrote:
Elazul wrote:
Danny wrote:My sister loves Howl's moving castle and Kikki's delivery's service as well as many others in those series. I never really got them... Anyways, I also really liked another pretty old anime called Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodic. Once agian, it was really messed up in English.

Well, at least in Canada I know that they edited out fighting and made the blood green, blue, white ot transparent. They waren't fooling anyone, it was blood! But they did annoy the heck out of some people like me. It was a lot better in original Japanese (the Canadian voices were once again not good), so I did watch this series off the web in original Japanese with English subtitles.

This anime was popular in about the same time that DB/Z, Record of the Lodoss War, Flames of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho were. There were also others, but these were my favorites.
Saint Seiya was a huge success here in my country. it is probably the first anime that I've watched, I can think it as a part of my childhood. :-P
The anime was so popular that some years ago, they re-dubbed it and put the anime on TV again. and it still on air in a channel. They even put the vocalist of a heavy metal band to sing the opening theme. ^^

The portuguese(brazilian) dub of this anime is good, but I still prefer the japanese one. :P
Sorry for the late reply.^-^; Anyways, Saint Seiya was also one of the first animes I saw too in my home country (Romania) when I was small. There was no Romanian cast (since they never bothered to ever translate into Romanian), but I've seen the French, Spanish and Italian version. Then I saw the original Japanese version off the web with English subtitles which was and still is my favorite version.

I also saw it in Canada in the English version which was the worst version. The U.S and Canadian versions were the same that time, I think. Instead of Saint Seiya, they changed in to Knight of the Zodiac and put some bad music in the opening theme. And of course it was edited (blue blood, fight scences cut off, etc.).

Lots of animes were edited and destoryed like this. It didn't stay very long on since they put it late at night like all animes and put their bad shows on during the time for so they could get ratings and not import any more animes... they were jealous.

I've also noticed that Canada and the U.S is less mature then Europe and Asia when it comes to anime violence, even though their own shows use lots of it. It's worse and easier for a child to copy a guy using a knife in a show like in a English program then Goku using the Kamehameha wave on a bolder in DBZ... There's also more gang violence, rapes and drugs in Canada and then U.S then Europe or Asia depite what they may say.

I miss seeing good animes in Romania... They even had them in original Japanese with Romanian, English, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles! They had the subtitles for the other versions too. Cartoon Network was awesome, too bad they only have Y-T.V for animes in Canada. I think Canada should at least try to follow the U.S example and have slightly better animes and mangas on t.v and in stores.
Oh, no problem. Don't worry about it. :-D

Here in Brazil happens exactly the same thing... Chindren watch more other shows than anime or cartoons, and they have much more violence than anime, and some of them got a ''Everyone'' rating. For example, the most popular reality show here is inappropriate for children, but still got a ''E'' rating.

Mostly of animes that we got nowadays are edited. The truth is that we got the US edited version dubbed to portuguese. =(
Last edited by Elazul on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I wonder why though... Why would children and people as well like vulgar and violente shows over anime and manga. I just don't get it, but then again most things seem to be wrong with the world these days.

It's good to know that there's still some normal people like here at the seikens fourm. I hope everything returns to normal again. There seems to be less animes coming in from Japan to the U.S and Canada. Maybe I should just move back to Romania. I do miss it...
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

The media works that way. In the same vein that people will complain about violence in videogames and yet condone hateful behaviour in Big Brother, they'll insist on the censorship of Anime while keeping a healthy dose of Walker Texas Ranger flowing through the airwaves.

That which is foreign (not just in nationality) will always cause greater insecurity and adverse reaction.

Fact is though, this is all a lesser problem if the children are given the right upbringing and have a moral centre. Media isn't the cause, but admittedly it can be the catalyst.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I think it has something to do with expectations, too. There's still a LOT of people (even in Japan) who think that animation is cute and for kids, and all those people who watch it even in adult years need to grow up. So seeing violence or other "mature content" in that genre is shocking and unsettling (even with a big honking disclaimer before each segment a la Adult Swim) for the majority of people, whereas such is expected in shows like Walker.

But for those of us who grew up watching Akira, Eva, and the like, well, anything goes, IMO.

I saw a great show on NHK (via TV Japan) a while back documenting the life and legacy of Dr. Tezuka of Astro Boy fame, and one of the things he had to struggle with is the shift of manga towards mature themes and graphic detail that occurred in the 60s and 70s. A sort of blame game brouhaha happened at the same time in Japanese government and society, to the point that some communities banned the violent stuff. He himself struggled with the dilemma of presenting his core values to kids while at the same time having a style that was marketable. It wasn't easy, and he lost a good deal of loyal fans in the meantime. In the end, he did produce one of his masterpieces: Black Jack.

@Elazul: A Portuguese edited dub of an English edited dub of a Japanese anime show? Dude, you have my sympathy.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

An Anime buff, I am. Anime History, on the other hand, I will leave to the older generation (or, in the case of internets, the people who've been watching it longer than I have, ehehe). ;)

As it stands, I still think the world could do without all these TV networks (or at least, the US could). With any sort of broadcast comes the issue of censorship, and with that, who should be "allowed" to watch it - and that's really the worst thing anybody who actually appreciates this art form (as is the case with all art forms to some degree) could have happen to them. Sure, there are things I'd like to be able to have the TV auto-censor (such as commercials, or any broadcast, commercial or not, in which Rap music constitues more than 40% of the audio end of the broadcast), but that's for the sake of my own sanity, not so that other peoples' values come into question.

And yeah, even Anime that doesn't have so-called "mature content" in it - if you watch it, from where I stand that can mean you're sensitive (which is a good quality IMO), or that you appreciate it for more than just its story content (as an artist, or from any artistic perspective, there's a lot you can learn from even simple, slightly childish Anime).

Maybe I'm out of line, but from where I stand, going to sports games and tailgating, drinking beer, and subsequently behaving in a loud and obnoxious manner (just because something you deem "major" happened in the game) is immature; in other words, if watching Anime is childish, so, too, is obsessing about a game that nobody living in a reasonable world should be getting paid for playing. Meh. Now I've probably gone and insulted someone.

Anyhow, as for my own meanderings, I'm still waiting on some friends of mine to send me my Anime-watchings for the year. On the upside, new compy on the way, so I'll finally be able to watch this stuff without lag! :P
I wish it were already here...

Oh, and by the way...
Anon wrote:Hmmmm. I'm a bit of an Anime Buff...

Midori no Hibi: Young lonely fellow needs a girlfriend. One night, he wishes really hard. The next morning, he has a girl for a hand O_o;;

Air:Young traveling fellow lands in a nearly all female town, searching for a "girl with pure white wings"

Lucky Star: 4-chan meme to the highest degree. Only Rozen Maiden still remains as a more popular spam.

Tsukihime(spelling check needed) Young lad who can cut anything cuts a vampire princess. One thing leads to another, and he is caught in a war.
All of these except the top one I've seen. Air was really good; think I've commented on it here before. Lucky Star I have seen clips of (thank you Faal), but I know nothing about it beyond a rather detailed summary of it that was in text-only format (my lack of cable means that such things still elude me). Tsukihime I've only seen in Manga form, and only the first book. Rather bloody as I mentioned before. I didn't recall a vampire, but maybe that's because the book was in Japanese and I can't read it very well. Heh.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Nah, I don't think you really insulted anyone J. And besides, it's true.^_^ I would really liked to see Record of the Lodoss War on T.V. I only saw the French and original Japanese version on the web with English subtitles. I wonder why it never came out in Canada?

Oh well, they would have messed it up anyways with their editing, bad voices and alternate music like with most other animes.

*coughDBZ,SaintSeiya,Visionof Escaflowne,GundamWingcough* The same thing with Yu Yu Hakusho and Flames of Recca. I had to see it on the web again. This time, only in the original Japanese version with English subtitles. I want to see more animes in the original Japanese version with English subtitles! It's the best like that, but I can only find them on the web and very few in stores. Darn it, they sould have them on T.V!