Hello!

Introduce yourself here! Farewells and returns find their home here also. Post counts do not increase here, so feel free to prolong your warm welcomes!
User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 am

Hello! My name is César. I'm 22 years old and I'm from Dominican Republic, Caribbean Islands. I am a gamer and a musician, and am majoring to be a Software Engineer. I'm also part of the Staff of Kitty Corp:Meow Mix, which is a site for Super Smash Bros Modding. I've played Secret of Mana ever since I was 8 (And still have my Super Nintendo with SOM's cartridge on my TV desk!). I still consider this game the best RPG to date (And still play it with friends!) even though the constant need to "pause" the game to go on the menu can get frustrating when in multiplayer. A while ago I tried SD4 for the PS2 (After finishing SD3, a game I can't believe wasn't released on US), thinking it'd be an awesome game, but god was I wrong... I really wish Square would put more dedication on their Mana franchise. Anyways, pleased to meet you all!

Now... I have a question: Have the Sword/Spear SFXs of SD2/SOM been ripped? If so, could anybody share? All I need is the normal attack slash SFX of both (By this I mean, I don't need the charged attacks SFXs). This is for a class project which is due in 3 weeks top. For it, we're supposed to make a game of our preference, and I picked SOM, but it's been hell to gather the resources to finish it, and I don't want to end up using ALTTP's sword slash SFXs for it. <_<; I'd really appreciate the help!

User avatar
Kassidy
Site Admin
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:59 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Kassidy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

Hola César, bienvenido.

I ripped a few samples a while back, and can rip some more shortly if you want. See if any of these are any use to you:
http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_001.zip
http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_002.zip

You'll have to fix the stereo positioning on some of them, some of them are a tad too far left or right, sorry about that.

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 am

Kassidy wrote:Hola César, bienvenido.

I ripped a few samples a while back, and can rip some more shortly if you want. See if any of these are any use to you:
http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_001.zip
http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_002.zip

You'll have to fix the stereo positioning on some of them, some of them are a tad too far left or right, sorry about that.
Found these earlier! I can probably use the stairs/running ones from these, as well as the hit sounds. I'd love it if you could rip the normal attack/level 0/w.e Sword/Spear sounds!

User avatar
Khyron
Iffish
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Hello!

Post by Khyron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Welcome aboard, Wolfric! You'll find some of the most Mana-knowledgeable people in the world here (Kassidy, not me) and we all share a common bond of loving, and sometimes hating, this franchise.

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Khyron wrote:Welcome aboard, Wolfric!
Thanks!
Khyron wrote:You'll find some of the most Mana-knowledgeable people in the world here (Kassidy, not me) and we all share a common bond of loving, and sometimes hating, this franchise.
That doesn't surprises me at all. Hahah!

User avatar
Kassidy
Site Admin
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:59 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Kassidy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 pm

http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_003.zip

Here's some more sword and spear SFX. I got a few of the charged attack ones since they have some interesting slash sounds included, so might be of some use.

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Kassidy wrote:http://www.seikens.com/kassidy/som_sfx_003.zip

Here's some more sword and spear SFX. I got a few of the charged attack ones since they have some interesting slash sounds included, so might be of some use.
Awesome! I'll check them out when I get back home. :D

User avatar
Kimiko
Mantis Ant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:14 pm
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Kimiko » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:08 am

Hiya César Wolfric! Welcome to Seikens :D

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Kimiko wrote:Hiya César Wolfric! Welcome to Seikens :D
Thanks! :D

And Kassidy, they worked splendid. Thanks! I'd like to know, though, how do you rip them?

User avatar
Kassidy
Site Admin
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:59 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Kassidy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 pm

I run the game in ZSNES and remove sound channels 1-6. The sound effects are generally played in 7 and 8, using both channels to improve the sound quality. The problem is that the music also uses those channels and they interrupt each other, so it is hard to get a good sample at times. The easiest place for dry weapon sounds is to go to the Sunken Continent after it has been beaten, then wait for a section in the song that uses under 6 sound channels (the part without percussion) and get as many samples recorded then as possible. Moon Palace is also a good place. Outside of that it's a hit or miss getting the samples for different things.
As for the recording, I have Audacity running on record the whole time, then I pick out the cleanest samples.

User avatar
Duran
Spikey Tiger
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Grasslands Country, Forcena
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Duran » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Welcome new member!

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 am

Kassidy wrote:I run the game in ZSNES and remove sound channels 1-6. The sound effects are generally played in 7 and 8, using both channels to improve the sound quality. The problem is that the music also uses those channels and they interrupt each other, so it is hard to get a good sample at times. The easiest place for dry weapon sounds is to go to the Sunken Continent after it has been beaten, then wait for a section in the song that uses under 6 sound channels (the part without percussion) and get as many samples recorded then as possible. Moon Palace is also a good place. Outside of that it's a hit or miss getting the samples for different things.
As for the recording, I have Audacity running on record the whole time, then I pick out the cleanest samples.
I see. But, isn't there a way to just replace the songs into a soundless song on the .smc? That'd make the process easier. ._.
Duran wrote:Welcome new member!
Thanks! :-D

User avatar
Kassidy
Site Admin
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:59 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Kassidy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

You might be able to do that, though I haven't tried. Something easier may be to find the memory register that controls the music volume and force the value to 0. I've done this in MMX, and I imagine there should be a way to do it in SoM.

User avatar
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 8:49 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Dr. Sheexy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

Hi there, Wolfric!

Kinda late welcome to the site, but always glad to see some new members! Hope your project goes well, and the Smash Bros. modding stuff sounds neat, anyone ever attempted putting anything Mana in?

Also, happy birthday too, apparently!

User avatar
Wolfric
Rabite
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Hello!

Post by Wolfric » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

Kassidy wrote:You might be able to do that, though I haven't tried. Something easier may be to find the memory register that controls the music volume and force the value to 0. I've done this in MMX, and I imagine there should be a way to do it in SoM.
Hrmm. I'll need to find a way to either do this or replace the music. Need to get my hands on the player-hit sound. :D
Sheexy wrote:Hi there, Wolfric!

Kinda late welcome to the site, but always glad to see some new members!

Also, happy birthday too, apparently!
Thanks! :D
Sheexy wrote: Hope your project goes well, and the Smash Bros. modding stuff sounds neat, anyone ever attempted putting anything Mana in?
Yes, there is. There's Flammie and Randi made by an user. Although not the best quality, they are something!

As for me, I mostly do Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy stuff which you can view at my Youtube channel. I'm not that good at modelling as to make my own models from scratch, but I'm good enough at editing them. :P

Post Reply