Ishii left Squeenix!?

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

According to Wiki, Ishii left squeenix ONE MONTH after the last Mana game. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Ishii)

He instead has formed a new game developing company called Greezo Games and he is the game designer for their first game, Line Attack Heroes (for the Wii) which looks VERY stupid.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14286540 ... 26346.html

WTF?

Maybe this is a good thing. If Mana ever gets another chance (I'm not counting on it) maybe it's good Ishii won't be around to influence it. His crazy ideas have ruined the most recent Mana games. He was TOO obsessed with doing weird gameplay things (he came up with the "pinball effect" for CoM and the weird thing for DoM. He seems to care more about creating new crazy game play structures than in the actual game itself.

So . . . I hate to say it, but maybe it's good he's gone. Except that that probably means there is no one powerful enough at SqaureEnix to champion new Mana stuff. :(
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Oh, I get it... They all travel in a line...

Yeah you're probably right.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah we posted that on the main page back when it happened or something. Honestly don't know what to think of it.
I'm torn between thinking like you are Bastian with him running the series into the ground, but at the same time I wonder if they'll do anything at all with the series since they started prefacing all the games with Koichi Ishii presents.

It is confusing, I can't think about stuff like this so early. XD
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

As blasphemous as it is to say on this site, I'm actually hoping that means the death of the Mana series. It's not going to get better. Let it die with the shread of dignity it has left. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Children, Heroes and Dawn anyway. XD
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Tsurayu wrote:As blasphemous as it is to say on this site, I'm actually hoping that means the death of the Mana series. It's not going to get better. Let it die with the shread of dignity it has left. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Children, Heroes and Dawn anyway. XD
Yeah, it's kind of like putting a dying dog to sleep. x__x

Really hate using that comparison, but things have kind of been driven to that point. -_-;
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

I agree on not acknowledging these games, but i still hope we get to see a real mana game in future. Video games have such a huge potencial, why can´t they make a bloody good game for once???
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Whatever ends up happening, I think I'm okay with it. There will always be SoM and until rather recently, that's all I ever knew!
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

With the recent release of SoM on Japanese cell phones, it's clear that Mana still demands attention out there . . . so MAYBE a new director/producer will take on the series and hopefully bring it back closer to its roots. But I'm afraid that the only reason there WERE new Mana games was because Ishii was well-respected and he probably fought for them. Now that he's gone, there's probably no-one to fight for Mana at Sqeenix. :(
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

It's entirely possible that Square Enix will take the EA route and farm out Mana development to Greezo.

Not bloody likely, but still...
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I don't know,

I was kind of wondering if the push to make more Mana games came from someone other than Ishii. I mean, he certainly wanted to experiment with other game ideas. Maybe he REALLY wanted to do that with other IP's and it just so happened that he was compelled to do it with the Mana series.

Those're my two cents,

manaman
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

That's a good point! They just may! I mean, wasn't most of recent Mana farmed out to Brownie Brown which technically had nothing to do with Squeenix? Maybe Squeenix would farm out production to Greezo and then Greezo in turn would farm out development to Brownie Brown.

But my guess is that Squeenix would not want to associate with Greezo. For Ishii to have given up such a high position in one of Sqeenix's production teams to form his own company . . . there must be some bad blood.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Thanks, I thought it was a pretty good idea. I wonder if Square-Enix may even want to do something with the IP themselves. I mean, it could be that with Ishii gone, they might run with it and, who knows, maybe the series will be better for it!
Popoi108
Rabite

Post by Popoi108 »

Well. I just hope it doesn't get the same as Chrono Series...
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

IrishLuiz wrote:Video games have such a huge potencial, why can´t they make a bloody good game for once???
Because in the eyes of Square-Enix, unless you are not a fan of Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, they want nothing to do with you.
bastian wrote:But my guess is that Squeenix would not want to associate with Greezo. For Ishii to have given up such a high position in one of Sqeenix's production teams to form his own company . . . there must be some bad blood.
Uematsu and Sakaguchi did did the same thing, yet SQEX will publish their games.
Last edited by Duran on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

Well I have to agree with the post by Tsurayu. I mean I don't think that Square-Enix doesn't care about fans of their games other than Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, it's just that while Seiken Densetsu is a great series it just doesn't have the potential to have much more done with it. Maybe a little but not a whole lot. I, myself, am plenty content with what's already out.