Rabite AI - I feel like a jerk

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Ok, so I was messing around in Secret of Mana hunting for bugs, glitches or whatever other neat stuff I could find and I discovered that Rabites actually have pretty sophisticated AI compared to most of the other monsters in the game.
I haven't tested this out with the Silktails yet, so I'm not sure if they have the same style AI.

It's really kind of sad/funny actually. Everyone knows Rabites just aren't cut out for the job of being monsters, even the Rabites themselves. In fact, it's coded into their AI.

Here is how Rabites react to you:

20-11 HP - Rabites open with a big attack, but after that they'll employ hit and run tactics, swinging in and then hopping away a few times before coming back at you.

10 or less HP - The Rabite realizes it just isn't cut out for this job. When it gets unstunned it might bite you, or even use its jumping spin attack to escape from you, but that's the last attack it will use. With this low of HP the Rabite will hop away from you. If you stand right next to the Rabite when it gets itself cornered against a wall it will cower in fear.
They actually cover their eyes with their ears and just sit there like that until you walk away, and they'll resume trying to run from you, or until you kill them.

I never noticed this until I was just messing around a minute ago, but wow, it actually made me feel kind of evil for killing them all the time. XD

Gotta keep messing with more baddies and see if they do anything special like this.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Aww, the poor little rabites.. T_T
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Thanatos isn't the bad guy in this game. It's the player killing innocent little critters
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Sheexy wrote:They actually cover their eyes with their ears and just sit there like that until you walk away, and they'll resume trying to run from you, or until you kill them.

I never noticed this until I was just messing around a minute ago, but wow, it actually made me feel kind of evil for killing them all the time. XD
/me is surprised you hadn't picked up on that one. There are other enemies that do similar, such as the Lullabud which will try walking away and close up its flower, or (IIRC) the BuzzBee flying away rapidly.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Kassidy wrote:/me is surprised you hadn't picked up on that one. There are other enemies that do similar, such as the Lullabud which will try walking away and close up its flower, or (IIRC) the BuzzBee flying away rapidly.
Nah I was always too busy trying to figure out the little totem poles as a kid to pay attention to that. XD

Gonna have to mess around with more enemies now to see what else I've missed over, I just killed stuff as fast as I could too much.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

No,

I actually never noticed that either. I too was just walloping the baddies. It's really funny playing through on the Wii with my wife right now. Every time we see rabites she says, "Do we have to hurt them?" and goes and attacks other things. So, I take out the rabites. It's pretty funny.

Peace,

manaman
DarthDude
BuzzBee

Post by DarthDude »

I didn't notice this either.
When I first played the game, I thought the rabites were soo cute, I didn't want to kill them! Poor rabites...
Last edited by DarthDude on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I kinda noticed it, I say kinda because I knew they cowered and bounced away, but it never really dinged a lightbulb, if that makes any sense, haha. Rabites are probably the cutest enemy, and my favorite, although I like most if not all of the enemies :p
Rabite
Rabite

Post by Rabite »

We're just trying to defend ourselves! This series has led to my species falling into the near-extinct catagory! STOP THE GENOCIDE!!

*Rabite gets whacked*
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Rabite wrote:We're just trying to defend ourselves! This series has led to my species falling into the near-extinct catagory! STOP THE GENOCIDE!!

*Rabite gets whacked*
GET IN MAH BELL-AY!!!
Last edited by Duran on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

@ rabite: I have a rabite sanctuary. rabites there are treated well, unfortunately many of your kind are unwilling to move there. I hope you can persuade them.
DarthDude
BuzzBee

Post by DarthDude »

Atleast it's not the Rabillions always getting whacked though.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Aaar,

But a good rabite in me belly keeps away the scurvy.

The black mark o',

redbeardedmanaman
ytwars
Chess Knight

Post by ytwars »

Rabites prevent scurvy?
Is that why Duran is always eating them?
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Rabites are just like oranges. Except oranges don't hop around or have floppy ears.