Dawn of Mana remake. I'm making one. And I need ideas.

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

bastian
Weepy Eye

Re: Dawn of Mana remake. I'm making one. And I need ideas.

Post by bastian »

. . . I'm not pleased with them at all, which is why I haven't shown them. Basically all I did was take the Empire soldiers from Sword and stretched them so that they are skinnier and taller... Which doesn't look good. I think I'm going to have to rethink that. I just REALLY don't want to use the cutesy regular golems from Secret and SD3.

Now that the Prologue is done, I think I will upload a demo for y'all to try. I have to fix one irritating bug first, though. Ritzia has a tendency to trap Keldy in corners. Which means that he can't move. And the play would have to reset. Ugh. I'm bound to figure out how to set her up so that she can back away if he's moving towards her, but I haven't figured it out yet. :*(
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Can't just make him walk through Ritzia? Like SoM characters can walk through one another?

Also using the SwoM soldiers for the golems is a neat idea.

You know, I never thought about it but they are really similar aren't they? Heck, they even work for the same guy. XD
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Sheexy wrote:Can't just make him walk through Ritzia? Like SoM characters can walk through one another?
Not without making Ritzia able to also pass through walls and trees and other such things.

However the Memories of Mana creator came up with a very clever solution for me that works pretty well, so I'm finally done with that issue. Now I just need to select which song from DoM's soundtrack also would work for "Sanctuary is occupied by Golems" music. Any suggestions, anyone? If nothing from DoM fits, I suppose I'm open to any other Mana music suggestions.
Also using the SwoM soldiers for the golems is a neat idea.
You know, I never thought about it but they are really similar aren't they? Heck, they even work for the same guy. XD
Well, that's debatable, haha. But, that's sort of the reason why I went with it. Because that implication is there. And also because that armor is creepy enough and not used anywhere else. :D
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I wanna suggest The One Who Does Not Tremble, track 24 on disk one.

I dunno, just seems desperate and kinda mystic at the same time.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

That's the song that plays on Mortmount, right? That would make a good song for that section, I agree! :D
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Good job so far. I see your using XAS amd Moghunter is helping you; so this should end being a good game.
Just to let you know, I can do some ruby scripting. So if you need any help let me know. Like for example: I can make a short sript to do what Sheexy suggested; let a particular event pass through another without setting his @through variable to true. That way he won't pass through trees, rocks, etc.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Thanks for the offer Coqui! I really appreciate it! But actually MogHunter helped me out with that already. He's been very helpful, thank goodness. But I'm bound to think of things that I'd need your help with. And, actually, when I release the demo in a few days, if you would take a look at it and suggest anything that would make it feel more Mana-ish that you could suggest in Ruby or whatever, that would be awesome!

I think I'll release a demo of everything up to the Great Tree caverns the day after tomorrow.
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Your welcome! By the way, I'm making a mana game in RPG Maker Xp too. But mine is based on Secret of Mana. I will appreciated if you later help me degugged and stuff -_-; . Well anyway, let me know if you need anything...
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

Great work so far. I especially like the new sprite being used for K/Eldy. The original Randi recolor was good, but to me it still looked too much like Randi. Almost like he just woke up in someone else's closet, it was dark and he couldn't see what he was putting on. Which is understandable, it was a recolor. I don't think it looked bad, the problem was I'd feel like I was playing SoM with a different story. But, that's not an issue anymore with the new sprites. Did you model them yourself?
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Hah, no, I didn't create the sprites myself. I have zero artistic capabilities. :P
The new Keldy sprite is just a recolor of the default "hero" sprite in RPG Maker. I had to alter him quite a bit to make it work, but it was worth it, because as you said: the old sprite recolor of Randi was just too obviously Randi.

Anyway, I've taken a couple months off from the project because I just had way too much stuff going on in my life. I was the primary (and for a period of time: ONLY) writer at the biggest Zelda fan site, writing three articles a day. And had a regular job. And was in a band. AND blah blah blah. I quit the zelda site, so I might have more free time to actually work on this some more. It's really hard. :/
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

I understand completely. And even though everything you're doing right now is still better than anything I could, if there's something I may be able to help with feel free to ask.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Oookay, I'm officially putting this on hold for a bit. I hadn't worked on it in... I don't even know HOW long... because I kept running into the stuff that I don't find all that fun about the process: graphics and such. Take a LOT of time, and I'd just rather do the other stuff. :P so I've decided to place this project on hold while I try a few other projects I've been thinking about.

However, I decided to just release a very short demo version of what I'd done so far. It's very, very short and riddled with bugs (none game breaking that I know of) and is very rough in general. Music is very temporary and stuff like that.

But here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zj4sw1albo75ji5
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

Hey! Yo! I might be able to help bastian. I can sprite pretty well. If you want I'll help on the graphical issues when you get back to work on this project.
Neo Oz
Lullabud

Post by Neo Oz »

well if ya need a helpin' hand with spritin', ill help too... if ya want.

i also think Keldy missin' tha typical SoM look.
He needs to be a lil' taller.

As far i can see...ya usin' rpg maker and that Fastbattlecombat script hero XAS.
or is it selfscripted?

Well anyways if u wanna some spriting hands just tell me. Immah workin' force though... so cant devote me completly to it ^^ but hey helpin' hand is helpin' hand.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Thanks for the offer gamekrazzy, I'll keep that in mind. Basically I need sprite sheets for locations resembling the inside of the Mana Tree (first dungeon) and couldn't find ANYTHING like that and so sort of gave up and put it on back burner.

Neo Oz (I like the username, a reference to the Marvelous Land of?): Yes, I'm using XAS Hero Edition 3.something. I'm not familiar with te fastbattlecombat thing, but if that's part of the usual scripting, then, yup. It's basically a much less personalized version of the script MogHunter used for his Memoies of Mana games. It has a very steep learning curve... also another reason why I've retreated into the less complex waters of a more typical RPG (in RPG Maker VX) for now. :P