Game Grumps Animated: Secret of Mana

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

bastian
Weepy Eye

Game Grumps Animated: Secret of Mana

Post by bastian »

For those not familiar with Game Grumps, it's two dudes doing "let's plays" of various games. They WERE doing Secret of Mana for a while, but dropped it for some unexplained reason. Anyway, the reason people watch their YouTube channel has less to do with the game they're playing and more to do with their stream-of-consciousness comedy improvs. Some of the better improvs get turned into animations by their fans.

Here we have one fan's animation of their interpreting the beginning of the game. Pretty amusing to see Randi animated in this way, hehehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSXkBDBK4w
Tyler
Mushboom

Re: Game Grumps Animated: Secret of Mana

Post by Tyler »

Alright I took a look, it was pretty funny. "If only there was a giant sword!" "Why would you ask the sword?"

I love that this game is still getting attention and having an impact decades later.

I'll have to check out some of their other animations on classic games.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, this is the second time they've dropped it. One of the first games they did on Game Grumps was SoM, but they dropped it because Jon was bored by the game. They started it up again with Arin and Danny, and... er... dunno. Probably realised that they'll end up playing it for about 40 hours, which would be 480 episodes for one game. I mean, Sonic 06 was bad enough with 108 episodes.

TBH, they've not been terribly great at staying committed to a game. That might be a good thing, because the style of playthrough would suffer if they weren't fully invested in the game, but sometimes it feels like they don't exactly give a game a chance.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I think they only reason they stopped (originally) was because The Wind Waker HD had just come out and they replaced SoM with TWW HD in that "mid-day" time slot. But then they dropped TWW HD as well. :/
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I'm not sure their show's format lends itself well to long games. Shorter games, platformers, it works well because it's not as hard to keep fresh, since they're going more for gags and casual chatter about the game rather than in-depth analysis or facts. Then again, I'm no expert, so who am I to tell them how to do things. ;)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I was disappointed when Jon didn't seem to care to pay any attention to the game.

Haven't watched since Jon left, got kinda tired of the pointless banter that Jon and Arin ended up doing (only stayed on for Sonic 06) and then I didn't care enough to watch some new people I guess.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I only started watching when Danny replaced Jon, and so I might be suffering from bias as a result, but I prefer him to Jon. Going back and watching the Jon version... all he wants to do is complain about the game and not want to play it and complain about playing it and argue with Arin. Danny, on the other hand, is super stoked to play it and just wants to have fun and enjoy himself. And that's not just the case with SoM either: it seems like Jon's MO is to convince Arin why this or that game is better or worse than this or that other game whereas Danny's MO is to simply enjoy himself. I prefer the latter. :D In fact, I find Jon's episodes really difficult to watch. They had their funny moments, but not enough to be worth it for my precious time. :P
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Haven't watched any of the Danny ones, so I dunno about him and Arin's interactions, but I hear what you're saying about how Jon and Arin interacted on certain games. Their major good video is probably the Goof Troop video, when they weren't trying to talk about what made a game good or bad they had some pretty funny moments I think.
But yeah, Jon can be a bit too off the wall and hard to handle sometimes, it works better in his personal videos than it does as a duo I think.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Right. I love JonTron's videos on his YouTube channel, but as a Game Grump... something about him rubbed me the wrong way. But I admit that might have to do with my coming upon the Game Grumps after Danny had taken over.