Dawn of Mana - Not the Beebee's Knees?

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 am

I've been reading up on Dawn of Mana and people's impressions of the game, and it isn't looking all that great, I'm sad to say...

It's harly surprising HoM did badly, seeing how well Dawn of Mana did (note sarcasm)... 150,000 initial sales, most of which ended up on sale second hand with a 9:1 ratio of dissatisfied customers, reviews averaging below 50%, and a price reduction from 7000y to 4000y after the first week on Amazon.co.jp

Looking at other people's impressions, the summary of points are:

The Good
-Graphical fidelity to Mana's style
-Music, very strong point
-Throwing rabites at stuff is fun
-Depth of plot

The Bad
-Loss of all items at the start of a mission (kinda like Megaman, but for EVERY level)
-No towns or world exploration
-Map and radar are buggy and misleading
-Cumbersome controls
-Bad targeting system
-Over-reliance on the Panic/Mono system
-Bad physical reaction to hits (sends character flying back for too long)
-Camera manipulation worse than KH

It would be interesting to hear some thoughts from people here on the board who have played it. I have to say, from everything I'm reading, it's not looking good (though I wouldn't mind playing it, I can tell you that now [/hardcore]).

Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 pm

To me it sounds like unless you are a super Seikens hardcore fan and must have it to complete the your collection...basically everyone here. Then you are really only going to want to rent this game.

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Tallon wrote:Then you are really only going to want to rent this game.
Sounds to me like people won't even want to touch it unless they love the series. =(

I'm gonna get this game.
Beat this game.
Cry a bit.

Go on hoping.
Dreaming.
Waiting.

Guys that sounds super corny. XD

Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:08 pm

I'll be doing the same thing...

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:27 pm

To continue the corny:

And I'm sure I will be doing all these things within the context of a game that I will love despite the rest of the world who, let's face it, prefers other types of games. Quick fixes or complex dramas. We are the brave few who know something worthy of greatness. We look deeper. We strive to meet the World of Mana where it is at. We, we are the ones who succeed. We are the ones changed by the encounter. We are the ones who delve into the story and come out forever the better.

We are,

manaman

Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:56 am

Well I read a review of DoM on my latest issue of GI, and judging from what it says, I can let out a small sigh of relief knowing that the game wont be a total disappointment as it got a 7/10 (Which is pretty decent).

The review pretty much agrees with what Kass said: The concept of a 3-D mana is excellent, as well as the ability to interect with the environment and the story. The downsides is that the targetting and physics are below par and make the game frustrating. It ended saying that it would have been something special if not for its major flaws, but it has been deemed slightly above a normal, everyday, button-masher.

Whc91us
Eye Spy

Post by Whc91us » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Well i personally cant wait for it!
I dont care how good, or how bad, of a review it got. Ill play the game anyways, and just decide how bad it really is!
But it wont have the same feel as the other Mana games, because it is 3d, but i think it will still be fun, none-the-less.

Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:26 pm

From what I hear, the soundtrack is good...

Also, I hear that you get a copy of the soundtrack upon pre-ordering the game.

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:00 pm

D'ah!

Why?! I thought DVD's were being used because they were LESS expensive! Why does Dawn of Mana have to be fifty bucks on Amazon. . . . Man, that's the electric bill! I really want to pre-order it and get the soundtrack but I don't know if I can justify the expense. My wife pointed out that I don't even have the system. . . . Touché. ;)

This has been ranting brought to you by:

manaman

Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 am

I've personally played this game, but I couldn't understand anything that was going on. I just killed some stuff. My buddy is an importing freak *lets just say he's got NamcoxCapcom and leave it at that*

Most of what was said by Kassidy was true, both good and bad. But I didn't feel the game had a LOWER THAN 50% quality. Its buggyness is around Tales of the Aybss(a great game btw) but it didn't critically wound the game. The controls are a little clunky, and require some getting used to, I'm not sure if you can change them though, as I can't read japanese to save my life. The "lose everything" was a major killer for me, I get pissed at the begging of every Metroid game, for every level...bleh. But it keeps the difficulty up, and prevents overleveling (Which was Legend of Mana's difficulty problem, too easy to overlevel). I felt that Square tried to overcompensate for all the problems in the Mana series, without looking at its strong points.

-Anon

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy » Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 am

Just to further expand on evaluations on the game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R113015.html

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman » Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am

I almost want to cry after reading that, Kassidy. . . . :(

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy » Fri May 04, 2007 11:39 am

Wiping my tears away as we speak. =(

Err, type.

Nah, I'm willing to bet we can weather through with it and find some good things.
I mean, CoM and SwoM are still really good games...

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman » Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 am

Honestly,

I usually like the things that many reviewers dislike, so I'm still optimistic. I mean really--what does a seasoned video game reviewer know, anyway? Too many hours in front of the tube and the brain cells go. We all know that!

Hee hee,

manaman

IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 pm

I didnt play it yet... but this game sure seems to lack a "Mana spirit". Perhaps if we could play with more than 1 character.