More SD3 PC Hacking

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

I've made some progress in my efforts to turn my favourite wizard into a playable character. He can now perform actions in battle without crashing the game, which is a huge step forward in this little project. Unfortunately, he still can't perform any attacks or do damage to enemies. I'm going to test him out with some spells later but if they don't work I won't bother following up this post with it.

This is obviously totally buggy and still pretty much unusable... But for now, yay, no more crashes!

If you would like to, you can check out the hilarious looking, first successfully initiated, bug filled battle sequence, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eki1av1Kx8
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Dude! That's freakin' awesome! Playing as Guren.... cool bananas. Imagine a SD3 villain mode... Guren, Deathjester and Jagan all in one party. The world as we know it would be screwed.

....although watching that, maybe my ideas for an SD3 addon aren't so unreachable after all...
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

I tried a villain team when I first started doing this. I started with Guren, Deathjester, and Loki. Deathjester's idle animation crashes the game. =( Sad... Then I switched to Guren, Isabella and Heath, it was fun stomping around as the three of them.

Funny bit of trivia: If you sleep at the inn, Heath will jump up and down on the bed instead of sleep. :P

My goal is to be able to have any enemy sprite be playable. Don't get your hopes up though... It's taken me this long just to get it to stop crashing during battle, getting it to be stable might not even be possible.
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

The biggest problem seems to be a lack of sprite animations. Plus there would be an issue with the entire story and game mechanics themselves XD. Other than that, this is probably one of the coolest things I've seen in regards to game hacking.

PS. It must be hard to sleep when you are in the process of being possessed by the Masked Mages ^-^;
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

You're absolutely right. Because the main cast has so many more animations than the enemies, it can lead to some weird results.

During the first visit to Jad, when I tried to wake up Angela, Guren started doing a Travolta dance before getting knocked across the room by Angela.

Whenever he tries to do the pre-battle pose he starts running... into walls, off screen... he's not fussy, he'll run anywhere.

During the ending sequence when I had him replacing Duran, when he tries to use Duran's poses he twirls and dances around until he's completely vanished off screen... Yet still keeps talking.

Endless hours of amusement.
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

Is this a simple skin hack, or is it a complete skill/stat revamp? It's obvious in some of your videos you replaced Duran with Guren, but obviously Guren would not be swinging around a sword and using sword techs. So as far as fighting, and skills/magic, have you reset whatever character used for Guren's stats and skills as well. All of these are fairly simple tasks on the zsnes so I would assume you have.

Sorry if my writing is a little choppy, I've had insomnia lately and it's about 2:30 A.M. haha
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Yeah, at the moment it's just the appearance I'm working on. If I ever get that to be stable there is very little else that needs to be done.

Modifying the classes is incredibly simple, so if I ever get it working it would just be a matter of copying Angela's skill templates over, and finding some palettes that work well with him for class changes.

For other concerns like story, it's very easy to swap sprites for enemies as well, so it's just a quick matter of changing the original Guren's sprite to something like a generic enemy wizard.

The origin stories are another matter, I don't know how Neil Corlett and Lina-chan comrpessed the SD3 script when they reinserted it, (if I did I would have corrected a lot of the liberties they have taken, ƖoƖ), so I would probably just leave the origin stories as they are.

They aren't terribly important to the main game, and it won't stop me from using my imagination to fill in the gaps.
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

That's pretty cool what you've done there. I'm not a huge SD3 fan myself, but it's awesome what accomplishes you have made! Good luck with getting them enemy sprites working!
DarthDude
BuzzBee

Post by DarthDude »

I found some others on YouTube about playing as "Guren."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHiDC6lQz3k
Last edited by DarthDude on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Those are all mine... Posted in the previous Action Replay Fun thread. =x

Before I got the battles to be passable I just loaded up random saves and captured some of the story bits. That video in particular was the very first one I did... I was so excited and I foolishly thought everything would work fine after that. But as soon as I got outside of Altena, and tried to attack an enemy, insta-freeze. =(
Rabite
Rabite

Post by Rabite »

Tekka: Where did you get that picture of Peach and Bowser in your sig? Is there a bigger version somewhere?

On topic: This sounds like it could be quite interesting. Will you be redoing the plotline entirely or just making these characters replace the normal characters?
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Hey ho, here you go: http://garadrobe.deviantart.com/art/A-K ... t-35612674

Nope, no story editing. This isn't something I plan to put in a pretty package and distribute anyway. I think I've pretty much hit my limit on this anyway. My next step is finding out how/where the animations are stored and how/which frames cause damage/cast magic.

I've had moderate success with some enemy sprites. I've been able to get Ninjas and Wizards to cause damage to enemies, and they work with almost no glitches which is nice. The only problem is their movement speed. Since the movement frames are half the speed of a regular character's walking speed, when they go into battle their speed is reduced by half again.... and results in them being incredibly slow. =( I have no confidence in working out how the animations work but I'll keep poking around and see what happens.
San
Lullabud

Post by San »

I wonder if there are any other sprites stored in the game's data of The masked Mage, The Dragon Emperor and The Prince of Darkness. 'Cause in the game only a facing front and facing back sprite is shown...
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

They also have walking sprites!
San
Lullabud

Post by San »

Oh My Gosh!! Is there any way to obtain the codes you have to access these sprites? I want to see them on my screen.:love::love::love: