2 cool sd fan games

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Hawk
Blat

2 cool sd fan games

Post by Hawk »

You have to try them.
-1º Memories of mana:
http://www.atelier-rgss.com/Project/Man ... Story.html
Its a really good game, but the only bad thing is that its in portuguese.
Has secrets,a good system and its easy to play even you dont understand it ^-^;
-2ºMemories of mana II:
http://www.atelier-rgss.com/Project/Mana2/Mana_01.html
Its good too, but not as good as the first one, it has a different battle system.
And I think they are gonna make a 3rd one
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: 2 cool sd fan games

Post by DeadWolf »

I would seriously pay money to get a translated version of these.
Hawk
Blat

Post by Hawk »

If I ever have time, I could translate the game :-)

Edit:But I would have to ask for permission... -_-;
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Hawk wrote:If I ever have time, I could translate the game :-)

Edit:But I would have to ask for permission... -_-;
MogHunter, the person responsible for these games, is quite famous in RPG Maker circles for writing the scripts that turn the RPG generic style RPG Maker program into something that can make Action RPGs and Action Adventure games. In fact, the scripts I'm using for my Dawn of Mana remake are written by MogHunter.

I wrote to MogHunter quite a while back when I first found Memories of Mana (the first one, the second one hadn't yet been released) and asked if I could translate the game into English. I received no reply. I thought that MogHunter would have encrypted the game, but he makes it clear on his site that Memories 2 is not encrypted, so that means I probably COULD translate it. Of course, I don't know Portuguese, so I'd just be using Google to translate it.

If I get at least five or so people on here asking me to, I'll do it. I plan on looking inside the game anyway for ideas on how to Mana-ize the program to make my Dawn of Mana remake.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

..... I haven't heard of MogHunter....
He seems to be a pretty cool guy who isn't afraid of anything.

I will try the games, but do think that remakes are not that much fun compared to the original. Ofcourse, someone who dedicates time to create such an epic remembrance is awesome, no matter how buggy the work is in the end.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I haven't played them yet (because they're not in English) . . . in what way are they buggy?
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Tip: Use Yahoo Babelfish instead of Google Translate. It nearly always gives better results.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

bastian wrote:I haven't played them yet (because they're not in English) . . . in what way are they buggy?
sorry for not being clear.

I meant to say that no matter how buggy the game would be, anyone who dedicates time into the remake of SD2 or SD3, is a hero.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Well, I've begun the translating process. Truth be told, I'm just copy/pasting everything into google translator and then adjusting the uninteligable curiosities when they occur. A few times I could make neither heads nor tales of the original intent and had to research further with the help of googling. So far I have the intro and the first dungeon and town and next dungeon and next town done.

I'm not sure how long this will take me, but I discovered something in the process that it's a bit irksome. This game (Memories of Mana 2) is a sequel to Memories of Mana 1 that operates sort of as a second chapter to the first game. So it begins rather confusingly since it expects you will have played the first game.

Why, then, am I translating the second game rather than beginning with the first chapter? Because the second one is unencrypted and those who use the RPG Maker XP program can simply open it and edit therein. The first game is firmly encrypted.

And I've already tried contacting MogHunter (the creator of these two, soon to be three, games) and received no reply. So there's not much hope that he will provide me with an unencrypted version of the first game.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Update:
I'm clearly bored (I'm visiting my mom out in the country) because I'm a third done already!
I suspect I will have this game fully translated in a month at the most.

You're welcome. :P
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

Post by ResoundingSilence »

If I didn't have such a busy schedule, I might offer to play interpreter-monkey with the machine-translated bits. Then again, I don't know Portuguese at all, so all I'd be doing would be educated guesses based on context and what I know of the series.

The busy schedule is why I'm posting after midnight in my timezone, by the way. -__

If I ever find myself with some time on my hands, though, I'd be happy to try to contribute. *huh
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Well, that's all I'm doing, honestly. Because my understanding of Portuguese ends at the similarity to Spanish, which I am only slightly conversational in. (Why, oh why did I have to take German in school instead of Spanish?!)

Google Translator works REALLY well. Sorry, Kimiko, but it's MUCH better than Bable Fish. I check nearly everything in both, and Bable Fish is always garbled and near impossible to understand. Google Translate, however, provides a near perfect sentance 7 times out of 10. Every once in a while it will translate into something ultra modern which will baffle me, so I'll pop it into Bable Fish, which--while arranges into practically gibberish--gives me another set of words to contrast and figure out what they're trying to say.

But at least two or three times a day now I've come across things which must be idioms translated directly because they're nonsense. So I just have to make up something new that fits into the context of what's going on story-wise in that moment.

Anyway, long story short: I'm nearly half done!

However, I have to admit that I'm not all together excited just now about starting on the first Memories of Mana when I'm done. It's a lot of work! So I would like some volunteers for that one. Especially those who have RPG Maker experience. But even if you don't, this translating process is extremely simple.

Any volunteers?

Also, I just got a reply back from MogHunter (the creator of these games) who fully supports these localisations! Yay! I asked about Memories of Mana 3, but he said he's not sure when that will be done. (I suspect it's on the back burner, but once these English versions are available and more people are playing them and encouraging him, the more likely it will be he will finish it sooner rather than later!)
Hawk
Blat

Post by Hawk »

bastian wrote:Well, that's all I'm doing, honestly. Because my understanding of Portuguese ends at the similarity to Spanish, which I am only slightly conversational in. (Why, oh why did I have to take German in school instead of Spanish?!)
Well ,I know Spanish and understand everything in the game.
bastian wrote: Also, I just got a reply back from MogHunter (the creator of these games) who fully supports these localisations! Yay! I asked about Memories of Mana 3, but he said he's not sure when that will be done. (I suspect it's on the back burner, but once these English versions are available and more people are playing them and encouraging him, the more likely it will be he will finish it sooner rather than later!)
I once sent him a message, he never replied T_T
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Ah well, maybe it depends on the language you're trying to translate. I've had Google results that made no sense at all, and Babelfish results that were quite good. I think it was French. Japanese is hard to translate, but Google sometimes just gives plain wrong results.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Kimiko wrote:Ah well, maybe it depends on the language you're trying to translate. I've had Google results that made no sense at all, and Babelfish results that were quite good. I think it was French. Japanese is hard to translate, but Google sometimes just gives plain wrong results.
I used the built in translate tool with Chrome (which is google translate) to try and read Kojima's and Naramura's tweets. They come out like cryptograms. When I use it for French I get the literal word for word translation instead of the actual meaning of the sentence.