Resistance is unnecessary...

Introduce yourself here! Farewells and returns find their home here also. Post counts do not increase here, so feel free to prolong your warm welcomes!
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

Resistance is unnecessary...

Post by ResoundingSilence »

But it would be futile! I'm a former lurker, have been for quite awhile.

I'm a big fan of the series, though I don't like much what was released more recently than LoM (HoM is ok in my book for being part of SD3's continuity). There have been a lot of times I've wanted to post, but didn't bother to. I'm not a big fan of forums.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm giving this place a chance. I hope I get along well with everyone. Fair warning, I'm really fond of correcting other people's English, so I'm going to be trying hard not to. If I annoy anyone by doing this, please tell me. I don't like to be a thorn in others' sides and not realize it.

Anyway... hello! ^_^
Last edited by ResoundingSilence on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Re: Resistance is unnecessary...

Post by Kimiko »

Hello and welcome Resound! :D

Most fans here seem to agree that Legend was the last great Mana game. Sword is okay too in most ways. The games afterwards weren't so great.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

welcome to the board!
enjoy your stay!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hi for to be welcomed at the board Seikens place!

For to be favorite: which game of seikens of mana?

Hope you enjoy it here. :P
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Welcome on board, glad you decided to emerge from thelurkdom.
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

Thanks everyone. ^_^

@Sheexy: I liked SoM the best out of all of them, for being as smooth as I've ever seen or enjoyed in a game, period, as well as having an awesome story to begin with and having characters I could empathize with.

Although SD3 really felt more like they were trying to make it "D&D the action rpg" (a recent replay of it reminded me just how crawly combat can feel at times), I can still count it among the games that were good. If I had to complain about anything, it'd be that I was a little disappointed that there weren't any weapons that caused status effects or debuffs like SoM had, and the STs didn't do it either (glad that LoM's do).

LoM was good for flashy weapon attacks, perplexing plot points, and going nuts over the most intricate/annoying equipment creation system I've ever seen. It seems it also had something to offer for people who wanted more than one character, but aside from a pet or golem you really don't need one. I felt a bit like the instruments system could've gone a lot farther than it did, even though from the perspective of the story, it was also sort of unnecessary. I don't really know whether to complain that they didn't do more with that, or complain that I didn't want it to begin with, as far as the instruments go. As for the characters, more than half of them annoyed me, and I feel the rest didn't get enough time on-screen. There were only two constant characters that I really liked, and they were both Jumi NPCs.

I read the overview of HoM on this site with spoilers, and from everything I've learned about it, it would have been great if it had just used an action rpg system instead of doing something weird. So, that might be the only new game I have good words for.

I'll refrain from talking about any of the other games since I don't have much to say about them at all. I didn't even finish SwoM, because I got lost after the desert, but also because I was disappointed it didn't use SoM's system right after I took it out of the package. I also never played FFA so I can't be awash with nostalgia while I play SwoM either... I kinda lost my reasons to play it after that.

What I'd like to see is a game that plays like SoM, but has classes, isn't an MMO, lets you play online, has a massively-online lobby, and is compatible across both portable and console systems as well as PCs. Sometimes I cry because I know it'll never happen. T_T

I'd be happy if they just took baby steps. ^-^;
Last edited by ResoundingSilence on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

tl;dr.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah SD3 kinda turned into "stand still and mash attack" for most battles. Especially in boss fights where the boss is so huge it doesn't really move, so you just kinda stand there and attack. I know that's not the case for a bunch of the bosses, but compared to SoM where you're constantly running all over during fights it just feels a lot more stale.

Yeah, maybe keep your views of HoM high and don't give it a shot... XD
The whole "RTS on a grid" really really doesn't work out well, and the units pathfinding abilities are really bad.

I'd really recommend playing FFA sometime. If not for the gameplay but for the story. I really love the story in that game, even more than the story in SoM.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

FFA's story is awesome because the hero actually gets scared and doesn't want to continue. It seems like most save the world stories rely on some pompous ass hole. The fact that the hero is more down to earth and relatable in FFA is what draws you into the plot.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Welcome!

As you initiation, you must present the member known as "Duran" with an offering of a roast rabite. Doing so will earn you a COOKIE!
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

*Prepares Duran a feast of roast, rotisserie, breaded, and original recipe rabite*

The rabites, pre-sacfice :hof: O_O :D =( T_T

... I wonder if anybody actually counts how many rabites have taken a sword to the face for the sake of their entertainment. 8P

A friend of mine recently reminded me of an attempt to play FFA once when I was younger, so it seems I forgot about that. I never made it past the intro fight.
Last edited by ResoundingSilence on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Welcome to Seikens :P