Doom Trap! Still Alive!

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

nick912012
Pebbler

Doom Trap! Still Alive!

Post by nick912012 »

I did a Secret of Mana run through with an old bud of mine and my girlfriend, and I noticed that probably 90% of the chests we opened were Doom Traps. I never was killed by them either, but it was pain since I was at 1 HP always. I think this is because the game is climbing up there in age, so I'm making this topic!

So any funky stories about Secret of Mana?
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Doom Trap! Still Alive!

Post by DeadWolf »

The only weird thing I have had happen was some crazy **** with Neko on Lofty Mountains. Mostly him appearing where he's not supposed to and talking to him when no one is around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9X3eTjowA

That's a part of it.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I don't think any Doom Traps have ever killed me either. Always sets me at 1hp. Might have to look into that to see what's up with it.

Just looked through the Japanese guide for the game and it says it should make you "noncombative" which according to the Japanese article on Wikipedia means you aren't quite dead. But at the same time the article mentions that that status is usually when you're at 0 hp and you're "noncombative" "unconcious" "knocked out" etc. So I'm not quite sure if it should kill you or not.

Has it ever killed anyone?

I'll post some weird stuff tomorrow.
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

Post by ResoundingSilence »

I've been killed by it at lower levels. I have always suspected that it's simply a matter of being too low-leveled, or that it has something to do with stats that you have *because* you are low-leveled. It happens to me more frequently or less depending on which character I used, but I have never really gotten scientific about it before.

Also a possibility that it does it based on your Mana Power (i.e. how many seeds you've sealed).

Also, just had a thought that it might be related to your equipped armor. I'd say it's worth toying with to figure it out.

Trying to think where I usually die to it... if I'm remembering correctly, it'd be in the desert/ice country/sewers. Never died to it once I reached Mandala.
Last edited by ResoundingSilence on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I think it's a level thing too.

As far as weird stuff goes, my friend killed the Mana Beast with a spear one time. No charging up, no magic. Just a spear. Did like 10 damage and since I had been hitting the Mana Beast with the sword the whole time it was at low enough health to kill it. Not really weird, but made me laugh.
Funny because that was probably 14 years ago and he still mentions it when we talk about the game.

One time I killed the Mech Rider in the Mana Fortress (while it's still underground) and I never got teleported out of there. Had to end up resetting the game because there was no way to get out of the room.

I'll try to remember more.
ResoundingSilence
Rabite

Post by ResoundingSilence »

I've found it is possible to damage the Mana Beast with level 9 weapons quite a decent amount, even without charging or magic. It's not particularly reliable but I did one playthrough where I didn't revive the Mana Sword at all and no one had it out. It was kind of amusing.

Ever since then I always kind of wondered why the rest of the games in the series made such a big deal about the sword.
Upperlander
Rabite

Doom Trap?

Post by Upperlander »

I noticed this topic that's a few months inactive and I would like to give some input. seikens.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... amp;t=2242

What I make of the doom traps has nothing to do with magic or levels. I've only died from it once, but that was in the Mana Fortress, with the girl, with the top sword and javelin and top magic, in the room with the last enemies before meeting Thanatos. The only difference about the scenario was that there were still enemies in the room...I hadn't put much thought into it until now, but it's an idea
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Went ahead and merged these. As long as something is on the first page of a sub forum it's ok to necropost on it. Just the stuff on the way back pages is a bad idea.

Also, unrelated but I dunno where else to put, but your signature might find this thread interesting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402 ;)
Upperlander
Rabite

Post by Upperlander »

Sheexy wrote:Went ahead and merged these. As long as something is on the first page of a sub forum it's ok to necropost on it. Just the stuff on the way back pages is a bad idea.

Also, unrelated but I dunno where else to put, but your signature might find this thread interesting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402 ;)
I hadn't heard about the Japanese description of him...I was just recalling the dialogue in the ending
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

Oddly enough I've been playing this game since before I could read and while my whole family gave sprite the name autumn I always named it Popoi. It blew my mind when I looked up a site and finally found out all of their names D; Popoi= popoie. Really close!

Also, I had this weird glitch last time I beat the game where I killed Thanatos in one hit. >w> Hes one of my favorite battles too! ;w;
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

I've noticed that level 9 weapons will generally do 8-13 damage to the Mana Beast, but when I would land a Critical I'd be somewhere from 50-90. I haven't fought it in a while, but I remember doing decent damage because there were a lot of weapon swapping during the fight. The play through I noticed this on was one where I glicted the sword of mana, so when I had to use mana magic or it wore off I'd have to switch the sword out and wait a bit. So more often than not I spent my time slinging spell and whacking it with the spear or axe.

As for the pseudo official names I don't know where people first got Seth, Fawn, and Autumn. I know Randi, Purim, and Popoi are confirmed by the Japanese version, but I don't know where people got the first set of fan official names. I've seen them featured in a couple places, but I don't know where they came from... I assume they're fan created. Kind of like Toto and Imu being used in the LoM manga and therefore considered official. Still, I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Fanon nicknames?
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

ReasonsUnknown wrote:I've noticed that level 9 weapons will generally do 8-13 damage to the Mana Beast, but when I would land a Critical I'd be somewhere from 50-90. I haven't fought it in a while, but I remember doing decent damage because there were a lot of weapon swapping during the fight. The play through I noticed this on was one where I glicted the sword of mana, so when I had to use mana magic or it wore off I'd have to switch the sword out and wait a bit. So more often than not I spent my time slinging spell and whacking it with the spear or axe.

As for the pseudo official names I don't know where people first got Seth, Fawn, and Autumn. I know Randi, Purim, and Popoi are confirmed by the Japanese version, but I don't know where people got the first set of fan official names. I've seen them featured in a couple places, but I don't know where they came from... I assume they're fan created. Kind of like Toto and Imu being used in the LoM manga and therefore considered official. Still, I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Fanon nicknames?

Seth, Fawn, and Autumn come from Secret of Mana Theater. It's a 300+ episode flash series about Secret of Mana. It was on hiatus for a couple of years, but it went back up a couple of months ago. Check it out if you haven't heard of it.

www.manatheater.com
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

Yes, but my family used the name Autumn before Mana theater came out. e_e I think it was just a popular name do to the Sprites red hair.
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

Wow that is actually pretty funny. I don't really hold webcomics in high regard, so this was a shocker. And I can understand Autumn being a common name, it made sense to me when I first heard it. I first thought of the hair, then that damn forest... that horrible season forest... TELL ME YOUR SECRETS, FOREST! Which also happens to house the sprite village, so there's that.
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

At least the damn forest was good for grinding!
*leveled up like crazy there*

And I understand. Webcomics usually are of poor quality and bad plot. I've actually enjoyed mana theater however~