SD3 style song

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Grulps
Rabite

SD3 style song

Post by Grulps »

I made a song using only samples ripped from SD3 and tried to mimic the original style. What do you think? Could something like this have been in the game?
http://grulps.wippiespace.com/public/SD3.ogg

I didn't add any non-SD3 samples nor effects to alter the sound but there is one significant difference compared to the original music which is the number of channels. SNES has 8 audio channels and SD3 allocated 2 of them for game sounds and thus only 6 channels were available for music. I used up to 12 channels simultaneously.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Re: SD3 style song

Post by Kimiko »

:) It sounds very SD3 because the samples are from that game, but your style is quite different from Hiroki Kikuta's.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I can see hints of Kikuta's style, instrumentation aside. The combinations of the instrumentation are similar to his in some areas. Up to 2:40 ish it does sound quite a bit like him, after that it steers away from that.

I really like this. I don't think it would fit into SD3 merely because the feel of it doesn't match up with my expectation of the games soundtrack and the scenarios (ie, I can't say "This bit reminds me of this part of the story"). As a standalone, or accompanying a different backstory, I think you've done a sterling job.

Also I think it's good that you explored away from the limitations of the channel number.

Great job! Making more?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Heh, this is really cool. It kinda touches on a lot of feelings from the game since it's using all sorts of music. Really fun listen!

You should do one for each of the games. :P
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

From one composer to another, that was awesome! Great job, man! It really does remind me of SD3, and not just the samples.

But where did you get the samples, by the way? That would be a lot of fun to play with.
Grulps
Rabite

Post by Grulps »

Kassidy wrote:Great job! Making more?
Maybe. It really depends on what I happen to feel like doing.
bastian wrote:But where did you get the samples, by the way? That would be a lot of fun to play with.
I used Winamp's Snesamp plugin, muted all but 1 channel and set playing speed to 50%. Then I just set output device to Nullsoft disk writer. Therefore the samples are not the original ones but modified by echo and other Snes sound effects.

I uploaded the samples here:
http://grulps.wippiespace.com/public/sd3samples.7z
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

Wow!!!! :D. This is impressive. You say u made this by using samples? It's really cool. U Really can tell what samples are from what. My favorite is about 3 and a half minutes into the song, because "Left-Handed Wolf" is my favorite song in the game. うはwwwwww "Meridian Child" at 5 minutes!!!! :)
invisibleham
BuzzBee

Post by invisibleham »

I like it, you should do more!
invisibleham
BuzzBee

Post by invisibleham »

Hey Grulps, you wouldn't happen to have the same kind of samples, but from Secret of Mana, would you?
Grulps
Rabite

Post by Grulps »

invisibleham wrote:Hey Grulps, you wouldn't happen to have the same kind of samples, but from Secret of Mana, would you?
No but I can rip them if you want. It takes some time though.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Grulps, if you're interested I posted them over on another thread, save you ripping them again.