Happy 15th Anniversary SD3!

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tekka
Emberman

Happy 15th Anniversary SD3!

Post by Tekka »

Seiken Densetsu 3 turns 15 today! Happy Birthday SD3!
xouman
Lullabud

Re: Happy 15th Anniversary SD3!

Post by xouman »

Respect to all Japanese =)
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Great! Where is my anniversary remake?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

DeadWolf wrote:Great! Where is my anniversary remake?
Yeah seriously, c'mon XD
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

We might have to wait until 2020 for the 25th anniversary. :*(
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

DeadWolf wrote:Great! Where is my anniversary remake?
Dear Valued Seiken Densetsu Fans,

We'd love to bring you an anniversary edition of your favorite series, but in all honesty, if it doesn't say "Final Fantasy" or "Kingdom Hearts", then it's not worth publishing.

Thank you,

Square-Enix.
invisibleham
BuzzBee

Post by invisibleham »

I've played a bit of this and it's really an amazing game.

Seems strange there has never been any interest in brining it to USA & Europe. Wouldn't be a ton of work and the profits would far outweigh the cost to do it.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Back in the day companies were scrambling to localize games. And the market was a lot smaller. Square couldn't risk releasing too many RPGs in North America because they didn't sell well at all back then. If the market was saturated with too many to choose from, a gamer would only pick up one or two out of the five, and that would be lost revenue.

So, as a result, many developers let games fall through the cracks. (Terranigma, SD3, Ys V). Final Fantasy's popularity picked up dramatically because of VII, so Square has made a point of getting those missing FF games out on the market via ports and remakes that were already going forward in Japan. If FF V had never been ported to the PS and then later to the GBA in Japan we STILL would never have seen it over here, I suspect. Same with the FF III DS remake. We'd never have had ANY version of FF III in the US without it.

All that babble summed up:
We will likely never get SD3 over here unless Square decides to remake the game for the 3DS for Japan, or some such. They're never going to simply release the original version on the Wii Virtual Console.

And, honestly, I can't see them bothering with a 3DS remake anyway. They have their hands full with FF and DQ and KH 3DS exclusive games at the moment.
Hawk
Blat

Post by Hawk »

bastian wrote:We will likely never get SD3 over here unless Square decides to remake the game for the 3DS for Japan, or some such. They're never going to simply release the original version on the Wii Virtual Console.
Well it is posible that they release it on the virtual console because every year they do a thing called hanabi festival where they get games that never came out of japan and translate them
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Erm... My understand of the Hanabi Festival is that they simply port the Japanese version to NA and Europe. They don't translate them. Which is the reason why they usually choose 8-bit games that have little or no dialog so that a translation is unnecessary.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

The WoM was just about the last chance at the series seeing a revival and perhaps having them take a bit more of a risk than just porting stuff to mobile. With the flop of DoM, CoM and HoM... "coffin", "nail", "last", rearrange these words in to a popular saying.
IMissSqrSoft
Mushboom

Post by IMissSqrSoft »

as I read through this thread I went from :-) :D :hof: x( :[ :hof: =( :hof: :] T_T
invisibleham
BuzzBee

Post by invisibleham »

IMissSqrSoft wrote:as I read through this thread I went from :-) :D :hof: x( :[ :hof: =( :hof: :] T_T
Don't ever lose hope! I think that one day we may get a 'good' & satisfying Mana game. What it's gonna take however is for the team involved in said future game is going to have to

1.) Stop trying to tack the Mana world & lore onto some other gameplay system that it wasn't intended for (DoM, HoM) What next, let's see... Rythem of Mana - A DDR styled dance game set in the Mana universe! Every game they seem to be wanting to do something profoundly different with the series...
In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

2.) Go way back to the first couple early games, FFA, SoM, SD3 & figure out what made those games so great. I'll give you a hint: Simplicity.

3.) No more gimmicks. Solid, compelling story with some solid, fun action-adventure gameplay. As much as I hate to say it, Legend of Mana introduced so many useless gimmicks that many people feel are standard for Mana games. (Recipes, Land Placement, etc.) which by themselves are fun and engaging, but honestly are just all 'fluff' that don't really add anything to the gameplay or story. Every lackluster Mana game afterwards has relied heavily on elements from LoM and have thus suffered a bit because of it. (I liked LoM too but this is just how I feel about it)

/nerdrant 8P
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Dance Dance Rabilution....

Oh no...
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

invisibleham wrote:
Don't ever lose hope! I think that one day we may get a 'good' & satisfying Mana game. What it's gonna take however is for the team involved in said future game is going to have to...
The problem is that that team has been dissolved and reassigned to teams. We know that at one point in time Mana creator Koichi Ishii headed SE's PDD 8 which was responsible for the Mana games. After Ishii left SE there has been no word on any Mana projects. I think it's safe to assume that PDD8 has been dissolved or completely reassigned to a different franchise. Since Ishii's departure there has been a new team headed by Takashi Tokita which has been responsible for the sequel to FF IV ("The After") and FF: 4 Heroes of Light and now the upcoming Final Fantasy Legends... Perhaps this new team is the new PDD8?

But anyway, my long-winded point is that with Ishii gone, it seems unlikely that SE will do anything Mana. World of Mana was a financial (and critical) failure, so SE seems unlikely to toss any more money into it.
3.) No more gimmicks. Solid, compelling story with some solid, fun action-adventure gameplay. As much as I hate to say it, Legend of Mana introduced so many useless gimmicks that many people feel are standard for Mana games.
Which is why I'd contend that MogHunter's Memories of Mana trilogy is actually much closer to what many of us consider "real Mana" than anything official post-SD3.