Secret of Mana to iPhone?

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Re: Secret of Mana to iPhone?

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I played this a little and watched my friend play it a lot, and I noticed he was having a terrible time actually getting attacks to hit.
He was overlevelled for the areas he was in, but enemies evaded him like nothing else, it was really bizarre. Anyone else seeing something like that? It was happening to him pretty much from the ice country until northtown, that's the last part I saw him play on.
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

I recently bought an iPod Touch from a crack head in East STL for $30. That's the best part about living in this area! :P

Of course, the first thing I did was buy Secret of Mana, and I've already clocked a good six hours. The controls were a bit awkward at first, but I'm still loving the game. In all honestly, I'm finding the game much easier. The toughest points, for me, in Secret of Mana were the Wolves and Spikey. Both went down without a challenge for me. Sure, I might miss a lot against random enemies, but I still don't have that much of a problem with them.

Oh, and I love the Tropicallo fight now. It just seems different to add another level of strategy.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

you realize that he stole it from someone, right? :P

Now I feel stupid for buying n iPhone for 180. Grr. I bought it not just for SoM, though, but also because I just lost my cell phone. :/
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

.... i've spend 0.00 on that game and enjoy it just as much.
Jailbraiking man... Jailbreaking... :-D
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

But- but- but- Here's how I look at it: if you don't spend any money on it, how's SquareEnix supposed to know how many people bought it. Let's be honest here: if millions of people buy it, they WILL invest money in Mana. If no one buys it they WON'T invest money in Mana. That's why pirates annoy me. They are killing the very thing they claim to love. That's why the music industry is eating itself alive. No one buys music any more, so record companies have zero interest in signing new talent, so would-be musicians instead have to work call center jobs and no truly innovative music gets made.

Sorry. Rambling.

The point is: say no to jailbreaking. BUY the games you love. Okay?

EDIT:
Oh, whoops. I got so impassioned I forgot why I was going to post...

Bought an iPhone pretty much just so I could play this. Bought it. Played it... I died like twelve times with the Mantis Ant (? Is that what it's called? Sorry, I've had very little sleep lately) and decided that I really hate the controls. I assume I will get better over time, but it's really difficult for me right now.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

bastian wrote:But- but- but- Here's how I look at it: if you don't spend any money on it, how's SquareEnix supposed to know how many people bought it. Let's be honest here: if millions of people buy it, they WILL invest money in Mana. If no one buys it they WON'T invest money in Mana. That's why pirates annoy me. They are killing the very thing they claim to love. That's why the music industry is eating itself alive. No one buys music any more, so record companies have zero interest in signing new talent, so would-be musicians instead have to work call center jobs and no truly innovative music gets made.
I know.... i know... ^_^
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

...and knowing's half the battle.

:P

Well, alright, then.

Anyway, I've been playing it a bit more, and I guess I'm getting used to the controlls. However... I really think this would have been a WHOLE lot better on the DS. At least on the DS they could have used the direction pad and attack/talk button and spell buttons but kept the other touch screen stuff (the new version of the ring menu, for instance). Maybe they'll port it to the DS. Or 3D-ize it for the 3DS.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

For me it depends on the game. I'll pirate a game to try it out and if I feel that it deserves my money then I'll buy it. If I don't like it then I don't play it. It's a way for me to demo the game.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

I have many games which i have bought... but first got a pirated version since i wanted to know if the spent cash is worth it.. And sometimes 59 euro's/dollars just isn't worth a game and you regret buying it. :-)

anyway, i think the gameplay is fine and cannot be improved.... on an iPhone 3G. Playing ROMS on an iPhone 3G isn't working smoothly, but on an iPhone 4 it is. Therefore they have rebuild the game specially for iPhone.
anyway, currently leveling up before heading towards Pandora to face Thanathos and save Dyluck.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Another thing that annoys me, and I don't know if anyone else notices this: rather than emulating the SFC chip for music, they've clearly made a wav or some other such formatted recording of the music and used that instead, resulting in some rather awkward sounding looping issues.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

bastian wrote:Another thing that annoys me, and I don't know if anyone else notices this: rather than emulating the SFC chip for music, they've clearly made a wav or some other such formatted recording of the music and used that instead, resulting in some rather awkward sounding looping issues.
Mega Man 2 for the IP suffers the same problem. For some reason it's trendy to **** up the music when porting games to another platform.
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Game looks good, but no $ for a cell phone. If anyone interested, someone made a play through in HD.
. This is part 22
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I've been having a crazy weird problem with the app lately. I've just rescued Undine and saved and when I tried to access the app since, it looks like it's going to load and then returns to the default iPhone apps list. Very weird. Then just a couple days ago there was an update suggested for that app, so I thought "Good! It wasn't just me and they've patched that problem!" but it still does that after the update. Very frustrating.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

bastian wrote:I've been having a crazy weird problem with the app lately. I've just rescued Undine and saved and when I tried to access the app since, it looks like it's going to load and then returns to the default iPhone apps list. Very weird. Then just a couple days ago there was an update suggested for that app, so I thought "Good! It wasn't just me and they've patched that problem!" but it still does that after the update. Very frustrating.
I have that with many games.. paid and unpaid.
restarting the iphone, or re-syncing with itunes generally works for me.
else re-installing the app works for me, but you may loose your savegame.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Thanks so much! I synced it with iTunes and now it's working just fine. Thanks!