Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:2/3/2013

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

coqui
Polter Chair

Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:2/3/2013

Post by coqui »

UPDATE:2/3/2013

Hi everyone. I update the demo once again.
Some new pics.

Image Image Image

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.caffeware.com/download_current.php

CONTROLS:

Ability : Press Cancel button.
Run : Double tap forward.
Open Ringmenu : Press Cancel and Confirm buttons.
Attack: Trigger Confirm button.

Use can use the KEYS.exe located in the game folder to map the controls to the keyboard keys.
A standard gamepad can be used to play the game. However, buttons can't be set for the gamepad.

New features:
  • [li]Title screen[/li]
    [li]Ability System[/li]
    [li]Level/Exp points system[/li]
    [li]Save/Load system[/li]
    [li]Simple events[/li]
    [li]New enemies and locations[/li]
    [li]Increased performance[/li]
Still lots to do. -_-

Please tell me what you think!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:10/29/2012

Hi everyone. I update the demo a little. Now you can use magics, items, and can travel through the Golden Road.

Also, added Tamber from Children of Mana as a playing character!

The file size is under 8.0 MB. :-)

Image Image ImageImage Image Image

DOWNLOAD:

CONTROLS:

Run : Press Cancel button.
Open Ringmenu : Press Cancel and Confirm buttons.
Attack: Trigger Confirm button.

Please tell me what you think!

---------------------------------------------
OLD VERSION!!!
---------------------------------------------
DEMO:

Move->Arrow keys; Confirm/attack->Enter; Cancel->Numpad0;
Open RINGMENU-> press:Confirm and Cancel

So I been messing around with a game library called SFML. And since I like Mana so much I had to
give it a try. You can download the demo. Is very rough, I must say. But the basics are there. Let me
know what you think, please!!!
If anyone has time and interested on co developing the game, let me know.
Right now I'm thinking of doing the story based on a collision/merge of the different worlds/games of Mana,
as you can see. Something along the lines of the "Turtles Forever" TMNT movie.

Thank you.
Last edited by coqui on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Re: Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] Lets make this together!

Post by Abdul_Moti »

err..
what am I doing there..? O_O
noticed the field used in chrono trigger there.
as far as I know, there are also game-makers here, but they be in hiatus mode as of now. yet this isn't go unanswered I suppose.
if this goes as compilations, there will be lots of charaters (and of course, sprites) to make, and the story would be mixed up with all the released series..
well, might be quite a challenge.
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

I once tried to write a story where all of the mana stories were pulled together by the collapse of mana.... yeah didn't go to well... I lost the writings... うはwwwwww. But, I would gladly help you with the storyline. And maybe the graphics too. like Abdul_Moti said, we are going to have to re-draw over the sprite, and the reason for that is quality. If we have different sprites from the different games they don't match very well. As you can tell SoM has less colors used then SoM2. It's going to be alot of work friend. Also, if you are interested in a key character. I might let you use Kent!

Linky!!! See Kent!!!!
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Thanks both of you for checking the game.
And maybe the graphics too. like Abdul_Moti said, we are going to have to re-draw over the sprite, and the reason for that is quality. If we have different sprites from the different games they don't match very well. As you can tell SoM has less colors used then SoM2. It's going to be alot of work friend.
I have almost the whole set of monster for Seiken 3. I was thinking using this same type in all the worlds.
Maybe we could say the "overflow/start of story" started in the Seiken Densetsu 3 world and thats why
that type of monsters is all over.

Still, I would need some help with the graphics: someone to rip maps from the games. I'm thinking of using the actual maps from the games, and connect them with warps. Lets say, for example,
the player is on the Secret of Mana waterfall and when it enters Gaia's Navel instead of going in the regular cave it warps to one to Legend of Mana's Luon Highway, etc.

The point of the game, once established by the story, will be to collect all the Mana Seeds. One in each world.
I once tried to write a story where all of the mana stories were pulled together by the collapse of mana.... yeah didn't go to well... I lost the writings...
It will be nice to have someone to help me with the 'big picture story' and actual dialogue.
I might let you use Kent!
It would be a pleasure. Of course, he would be like a hidden character, since we can't include 3d worlds in this game. ^_^
うはwwwwww
Are you Japanese?

Concerning the game, to both of you:
1.What's FPS you get in your computer.
2.Do you find the hit detection accurate enough?
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

lmao, no I am not japanese. that is just what happens when you type "Laugh Out Loud"
I have almost the whole set of monster for Seiken 3. I was thinking using this same type in all the worlds.
Maybe we could say the "overflow/start of story" started in the Seiken Densetsu 3 world and thats why
that type of monsters is all over.
That my friend is not a good idea. Out of all of the art used in the Seikens Games. SD3 was the most complex. I think that it should fall more torwards "Secret of Mana" or "Sword of Mana" because the art was the simplest in those games. Yes we can still use the maps from other games, but we would have to make it so the style fits. That means simplifying the graphics of the worlds to fit with the overall style.
It would be a pleasure. Of course, he would be like a hidden character, since we can't include 3d worlds in this game.
Because the overflow of mana did not exist in any of the other games, a new story has to be made, meaning new characters. We can't have the story originate in another story unless there is an explanation for it. I think that Kent's World should be the cause of the rifts through time, but the story should start from the beginning. Meaning a rift suddenly happens in the middle of a different game. "Like Randi pulls out the sword" and a rift gets created or something. Another thing to add with this is the idea of only 3 or less characters. That means the entire story is going to be shifting, and no one character is the main character. Like the first portion deals with Randi as he enters the time rift and meets with a character from another game, while the 2nd would deal with Purie's love life with Dyluck. 3rd kind of following Popoie. 4th goes to another character, and so forth. Another cool thing to implement may be like the decisions you make as the characters decide who meets up with who and so forth.
1.What's FPS you get in your computer.
2.Do you find the hit detection accurate enough?
The frame rate is fine, but never steady so IDK what to tell you there, although most games run at 8fps.

The hit detection was ok in my books, but for some odd reason I do not know, I didn't like it.
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

That my friend is not a good idea. Out of all of the art used in the Seikens Games. SD3 was the most complex. I think that it should fall more torwards "Secret of Mana" or "Sword of Mana" because the art was the simplest in those games. Yes we can still use the maps from other games, but we would have to make it so the style fits. That means simplifying the graphics of the worlds to fit with the overall style.
Oh. What I mean is I already have the monster sprites ripped and ready to go. Go here http://spriters-resource.com/snes/seiken3/index.html. The monsters sprites I'm currently using are from there. Spending too much time ripping sprites is no good. Lets use what we have/can find in the net. You can make the original sprites if you want.
Because the overflow of mana did not exist in any of the other games, a new story has to be made, meaning new characters. We can't have the story originate in another story unless there is an explanation for it. I think that Kent's World should be the cause of the rifts through time, but the story should start from the beginning. Meaning a rift suddenly happens in the middle of a different game. "Like Randi pulls out the sword" and a rift gets created or something. Another thing to add with this is the idea of only 3 or less characters. That means the entire story is going to be shifting, and no one character is the main character. Like the first portion deals with Randi as he enters the time rift and meets with a character from another game, while the 2nd would deal with Purie's love life with Dyluck. 3rd kind of following Popoie. 4th goes to another character, and so forth. Another cool thing to implement may be like the decisions you make as the characters decide who meets up with who and so forth.
In general, sounds good to me. :-P Some notes:
1.I was thinking of using distinctive graphics for every world. Meaning, for example, that when party goes to
the Seiken Densetsu 1/FF Adventure world, everything will be 'black/white' in the 8 bit game. Except for the party
that is. Go here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhvWLedO ... re=related[/youtube]
youtube.com/watch?v=QhvWLedOXOI&fea ... re=related
2.I was thinking of having only one playable character from each world, since having too many will make the game difficult to balance and do. So for example:
SD1: hero->tank
SD2: popoi->black magic
SD3: hawk->thief
CoM Tamber->white magic
etc.
The frame rate is fine, but never steady so IDK what to tell you there, although most games run at 8fps.
What!? ^_^ Most games run in either 60 or 30 fps. If the game is running at 8fps, is very bad.
The hit detection was ok in my books, but for some odd reason I do not know, I didn't like it.
Can you be a little more expecific? ^_^

Thanks for your interest and ideas.
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Re: Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:2/21/2012

Post by gamekrazzy »

sounds good!
What!? Most games run in either 60 or 30 fps. If the game is running at 8fps, is very bad.
うはwwwwww, are you thinking about modern games. Most everything runs at 30 or 60 fps, but those snes, nes, gb, gba games all run at a much slower fps.
coqui
Polter Chair

Re: Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:2/21/2012

Post by coqui »

UPDATE: Now Popoi can do Salamando magic!!!
Added a bunch of sounds!
gamekrazzy wrote:sounds good!
うはwwwwww, are you thinking about modern games. Most everything runs at 30 or 60 fps, but those snes, nes, gb, gba games all run at a much slower fps.
^-^; What!? Really!? One learns new things everyday.
coqui
Polter Chair

Re: Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:10/29/2012

Post by coqui »

Bump! :)
coqui
Polter Chair

Re: Mana Fan Game [DEMO INSIDE] UPDATE:2/3/2013

Post by coqui »

Bump! :|
Pixelated_Pope
Rabite

Post by Pixelated_Pope »

So how is this coming along? Also, what are you building this in? RPG Maker? Game Maker?
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Pixelated_Pope wrote:So how is this coming along? Also, what are you building this in? RPG Maker? Game Maker?
Hi! Thanks for the interest.
I'm still working in the game! I will release a new Demo soon.
The game is made in a 'custom engine' with the c++ SFML library.