The Hobbit

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

The Hobbit

Post by Khyron »

So who's coming with me on opening night to see Bilbo and the gang?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Re: The Hobbit

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

It's already coming out soon? Man I'm so far behind on movies. I still need to see Wreck it Ralph, I might see that one when I go back to visit family and friends in Texas in about two weeks.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy,

It's been screened in New Zealand already and is due out in the U.S. on 12/14. I have great faith in Peter Jackson to do justice to the novel and to make a very enjoyable movie. I'm a little disappointed to see the PG-13 rating as Tolkien always intended The Hobbit to be a "kids" book. Hopefully it was just done out of an abunadance of caution so that parents might choose Wreckit Ralph for their younger kids over this film.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

If you haven't been, GO! We saw it in 2D, 24fps and aside from a few instances in which the movement of the characters in the background appearing a little too smooth, there wasn't enough of a difference in the frame rate to bother any of us. If you're familiar with the book (or even the old cartoon version), Jackson has SERIOUSLY expanded upon the original text in order to justify a 3 hour movie. Some will like it and others will not. My family and I loved it and can recommend it without hesitation.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

Due to current events I have not watched this movie yet, I have read the book for the first time when i was 13 (that means 16 years ago) and can't wait for the movie.

Khyron, don't you mean 48fps? i though default movies were in 24fps.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I really enjoyed this movie. I felt they really kept true to the book, and I really enjoyed them keeping the songs in the film.

The only thing I have to complain about is how corny the whole wiggly chin guy was, not gonna spoil anything, but if you've seen it you know what I mean.

Also this movie made me miss the Omastar style Gollum from the old cartoons. I always get "The Greatest Adventure" song stuck in my head at the most random of times. Gotta love the Hobbit.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kyatto,

There were a couple of different ways to see this movie. You could opt for the standard 2D, 24fps rate which is what we did. It's the closest thing to what a normal movie would look like.

What about 1/3 of the theatres did was show it in 48fps which is how Jackson shot the film. Though I've only read online reviews and did not see it myself, most people complained that it looked too smooth or too clean, almost like a home movie. You could also see it in Imax which, according to to cousin, was spectacular.

Sheexy,

We were all really impressed with the film and Howard Shore's score is as moving as ever. Yeah, big chin guy was over the top. One could argue, however, that he's in keeping with the "lighter" tone of this movie as opposed to the original trilogy. My son read the book last summer and now says that he prefers the film to the book.

HAHAHAHAHA: The Greatest Adventure! I'll walk around the house singing that sometimes in my best immitation of the original.

*** Spolier alert for those who haven't seen the movie yet*** O_O (seriously, you've been warned) O_O

The Smaug teaser was fantastic. I was really worried that Jackson was going to give up too much in this first film so I'm very happy that we only got to see what we did of him; and what we did see was awesome!
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

Khyron wrote: There were a couple of different ways to see this movie. You could opt for the standard 2D, 24fps rate which is what we did. It's the closest thing to what a normal movie would look like.

What about 1/3 of the theatres did was show it in 48fps which is how Jackson shot the film. Though I've only read online reviews and did not see it myself, most people complained that it looked too smooth or too clean, almost like a home movie. You could also see it in Imax which, according to to cousin, was spectacular.
ah! thanx for explaining! 8)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Wow I must have forgotten a lot of stuff when I read the book, but actually it turns out they did a few things different than the book, such as the encounter with the trolls and making Bilbo overall a bit more brave.

Also they didn't do the riddle section exactly the same way, but I felt it all worked out pretty well in the end.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy, I just finished watching the Rankin/Bass version for the first time in ages and I really, really enjoyed it! Gollum was even better than I remember and more than makes up for the hokey "death spinn" that the spiders do.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

It was a great movie. I saw it over the holidays. I'd like to see it again. ^_^
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Don't get me started! I could talk about this endlessly.

For now I'll comment about Radagast. I believe you call him wiggly chin guy? His portrayal was one of three main complaints I have about the film.

Even if you've read all of Tolkien's works, you've probably missed Radagast. He's barely mentioned. In Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, he is edited out completely. Yet, even with only a handful of lines about him, I always found the wizard an incredibly compelling character.

I feel in context, he is a powerful yet humble, serious yet jovial wizard and one who understands his commitment as an Istari. I can't imagine him as anything but dignified and in touch with the world around him.

I have come across a lot of artwork of Radagast (the first I came across when I played an old CCG called Middle-earth) and I've never seen a clown depicted. I think he was intended to lighten the mood and bring back some of the humor of the source but I can't for the life of me figure out why they chose to create something that wasn't there rather than use some of the stuff that was. Artistic license I suppose but I'm disappointed.

If I go too much further, I'll start talking about my other two gripes so I'll finish up by saying that all in all, I'm looking forward to the next two films. Oh, and if you're interested, this is an interesting article from The Smithsonian that points out where elements of the movie came from:

The Tolkien Nerd's Guide to The Hobbit
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Manaman,

Gripe away! was hoping to hear everyone's opinion as I figured this was a movie that would appeal to the Seikens crowd. Wiggly chin guy is a reference to the Goblin King which is another sequence that left something to be desired. I come back to Tolkien's original intent of The Hobbit which was to write a story that appealed to children but did not pander to them. It was never intended to be a serious story in the way that LOTR was. With that in mind, some of the "sillyness" of the film is understandable and maybe even appropriate.

You are right in that Radagast is an ancillary character at best and was not a necessary addition to this film. It goes to Jackson expanding what was a relatively short novel into three epic films: he takes up screen time. Jackson may make him useful before the end but, at this rate, he's no more important to the outcome of the film than Tom Bombadil was to LOTR.

When Jackson announced that he would be taking over direction of The Hobbit he initially proposed only doing 2 films. I thought this was appropriate as one would be too long and three would be overkill. I want to be optomistic and keep in mind that Jackson is responsible for the best film trilogy of all time but there's that nagging thought of: "what if this is King Kong part 2?" Again, time will tell.

Yeah, gripe away, everyone! I'm always up for discussing films (new and old) as well as music. Beats the heck out of politics as no one ever likes what anyone else has to say :P
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh! Ha ha ha! The Goblin King. Yes, I think I blocked that image out of my mind. He was GROSS!

I actually love Radagast and Tom Bombadil. After seeing Jackson's treatment of Radagast, though, I'm happy Bombadil wasn't attempted.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I gotta agree, Radagast and the Goblin King were super cheesy. Radagast was definitely played for laughs, and that whole save the hedgehog deal was kind of bizarre actually. Goblin King shouldn't have had that one quip, if you've seen it you know what I am talking about I'm sure.