The Hobbit

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Re: The Hobbit

Post by manaman »

Agreed.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

since the movie was only in cinemas in 3D, i've watched it at home in 2D with my wife.

ehm... i was disappointed. I read the book about every year since i was 13 (that means 16 years ago, haha), and i was constantly saying to myself "that doesn't go like that".
I think that it is a good impression of the movie, and even the best there ever will be, but.. it didn't feel right.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kyatto, That's a fair assessment. It certainly was not as good as the original film trilogy, but there really wasn't a chance that it would be. As a stand alone film that is more inspired than based upon the book, it's pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. 2 films and not the planned three would have been more than enough to tell Bilbo's story as well as throw in plenty of Jackson extras.
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

I only just saw this a few days ago. And I thought it was a fun movie! It was much SILLIER than I expected. Hmm. I found it very difficult to take seriously, but that's ok, at least it was ridiculous in a fun sort of way. I don't remember the book because to be honest i found it really boring when I read it as a child. And I never did read it again. I probably should.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Destiny, The book is a relatively short read (especially compared to the LOTR trilogy) and certainly "silly" when compared to Tolkien's later work. Also fun is seeing the Rankin/Bass animated film after seeing this movie.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Destiny wrote:I only just saw this a few days ago. And I thought it was a fun movie! It was much SILLIER than I expected. Hmm. I found it very difficult to take seriously, but that's ok, at least it was ridiculous in a fun sort of way. I don't remember the book because to be honest i found it really boring when I read it as a child. And I never did read it again. I probably should.
Well there's something you don't see every day...a Destiny sighting. :)
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

i have to agree with you Sheexy.
Just a couple more days and part 2 - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - can be seen in cinema.

Let's see what happens :-)

oh, i've read The Hobbit when i was 13, that's 17 years ago, and still read it once a year. It is my favorite book. It is very hard to let go that the movie is not[/b] the same as the book. During the first movie my mind was shouting to me all the time "it didn't go that way!" XD
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kefka,

I'm hoping to see "Smaug" sometime this week. From what I've heard so far it's supposed to be better than The Hobbit. I've also read the books numerous times and struggled with the changes/additions Jackson made in translating the story to film. That being said, I'm reading The Shining for the first time in my life right now and have LOVED the Kubrick film for 20 years. Reading the book has helped me to appreciate the changes that needed to be made in order to make a film people would want to watch.

Despite being a little disappointed with The Hobbit, I still trust Peter Jackson to deliver a film that does the source material justice.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

hahahaha, i just don't dare to read the book The Shining, hahaha.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kefka,

Read 'The Shining', it was a quick and very enjoyable read.

The Desolation Of Smaug was a little over the top in the action department and a little under-developed in the story department. My hope is that in the same way that 'The Two Towers' was made a much better movie when the extended version was released, 'Smaug' will get the same treatment in a couple of years.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

Khyron wrote:Read 'The Shining', it was a quick and very enjoyable read.
will do!
Khyron wrote:The Desolation Of Smaug was a little over the top in the action department and a little under-developed in the story department. My hope is that in the same way that 'The Two Towers' was made a much better movie when the extended version was released, 'Smaug' will get the same treatment in a couple of years.
I must agree with the extended edition. In the normal version The Two Towers it felt like a hard chapter to get through, like it was needed to glue the first and third movie together. In the extended version you actually see that it is a great movie. 8)
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well, I enjoyed the second movie far more than the first. I took issue with a lot in the first installment and one or two points in particular I felt very strongly about. It may have been easier for me to appreciate this second installment because so much was pure Jackson fabrication. Also, despite everything, I laughed out loud in the theater when Bombur rolled around in his barrel and once again when he suddenly became a spinning-barrel warrior that reminded me of Kilroy from Secret of Mana. I had a few issues that grate and one that is egregious (Bilbo's immediate corruption by the ring and proclivity towards violence), but otherwise I walked away entertained. It must be hard for poor Peter Jackson to have to put up with avid Tolkien fanboys like me that nitpick everything so I'll stop now and say I'm ready for the third installment now. I wonder what's going to happen. Also, here are three great articles for anyone interested:

Sacnoth's Scriptorium: The Desolation
Sacnoth's Scriptorium: Smithsonian!
The Tolkien Nerd's Guide to "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

manaman wrote:Well, I enjoyed the second movie far more than the first. I took issue with a lot in the first installment and one or two points in particular I felt very strongly about. It may have been easier for me to appreciate this second installment because so much was pure Jackson fabrication. Also, despite everything, I laughed out loud in the theater when Bombur rolled around in his barrel and once again when he suddenly became a spinning-barrel warrior that reminded me of Kilroy from Secret of Mana. I had a few issues that grate and one that is egregious (Bilbo's immediate corruption by the ring and proclivity towards violence), but otherwise I walked away entertained. It must be hard for poor Peter Jackson to have to put up with avid Tolkien fanboys like me that nitpick everything so I'll stop now and say I'm ready for the third installment now. I wonder what's going to happen.
I could not agree any other way *huh
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

The scenes with Smaug were absolutely awesome, his portrayal was perfect!

That said, the second movie just seemed to go on and on, and was full of so much I don't remember from the books. Stuff like adding in the new elf, and making Legolas a character were kinda weird to me, but I guess it worked.

Overall pretty good, but I have no idea how the third movie is going to fill up all of its time.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I'll be honest, I particularly disliked the second film for a number of reasons, and that's aside from straying from the original story (which I'm fine with them doing, to a degree). It just seemed to me to be overly pandering to the lowest common denominator. There HAS to be a love triangle, there HAS to be another long drawn-out chase, there HAS to be a convoluted plot that fails like it's Daylight or some random B-movie thriller. Mix that in with "we have to rehash the stuff we did right in LotR" and it left me with a very sour after-taste.

I had to take a break after the first hour because I was tired of the film, and I'm someone who will sit through a film from beginning to after the credits and beyond and not budge.

There are just too many issues that undermine the things that the film does right for me to deride enjoyment from it.