Everything I know is a lie

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Ok guys, the circled part right there says "Gender: Unknown"

I've always been a big defender of "Hey, the Sprite is totally a guy, it says so in the game."
Kinda interesting what the real guide states eh?

This changes everything.
But not really.

Discuss.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I always thought it was a guy too.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Me too, but when I saw Carlie I dont know what I should believe in
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I think the sprite could be male...after all, it DID like the idea of being Purim's husband...
Danny

Post by Danny »

I also agree that he is a guy. I saw a site on the default/original names of the characters. The main character was the hero, Purim was the girl and instead of calling the third character the boy, they just called him the sprite.

Like Duran said, he also liked the idea of gnome saying that his Purim's husband and he also ate all of the food when being captured on the empire ship. Now how many girls do that? Not any that I now for sure!

And lastly, his grandpa also calls him little tyke which is used more for boys then girls. He has long hair since his a spirite, but that doesnt't mean that his a girl. I used to have long hair when I was small and I'm not a girl. Short hair seems to suit me better now though. Well ok, those are my reasons why I think that the sprite is a guy and not a girl and it seems that most people agree with me too on that.
Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

I always thought he was too...creepy looking to be a guy. I mean, he's a sprite. Some myths say that beings of magic have no real gender. They may look male or female, but they aren't where it counts. Through sheer magic, is how they make babies.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I'm wanting to know what the Japanese version of the game says at the points when the English one clearly states the Sprite is a guy... that would be an interesting thing to know.
I'm gonna dig around in my guide and see if it mentions anything.

Also, Tallon, that statement on making babies through sheer magic is pretty hilarious.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hmm, I don't know what to say to that, but I still think that the SoM sprite is a guy. No, really just look at him at the proof. It's all there!
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Danny wrote:Like Duran said, he also liked the idea of gnome saying that his Purim's husband and he also ate all of the food when being captured on the empire ship. Now how many girls do that? Not any that I now for sure!
Clearly you havent watch japanese anime. For some reason the girls in the anime are very hungry. Since this game is from Japan, the Sprite can be a girl

--
Danny, you have already stated that you think sprite is a boy, no need to state it twice. Sometimes I wonder if you forgot you posted saying a thing already and then post again to say the same thing.
Im not telling you to stop posting, just wanna know if you sometimes forget
Danny

Post by Danny »

Oh yeah sorry anout that. I do often forget what I have already writen since I don't usally check the older replies. It's a dumb habit I know, but I'll brake it. So, should I delete the other reply that restates what I already said or should I just stop doing it from now on. Sorry about. -_-;

The guys still tend to eat more then girls in animes though. Example: Dbz: Goku eats non stop and pretty much all the guys to, but not the girls.
Last edited by Danny on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

When I first played SoM, I had no knowledge of the game's history, lore, or anything -- so I assumed the Sprite was male. I even named the Sprite "Damien" :o

But now (after I've gained bit of knowledge ;) )and after looking over my taped up instruction booklet the Sprite is referred to as "it" So I go with that -- A genderless, purely magical being.
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

When I was a little kid, I always thought the sprite was a girl.

Then I played it when I was in 10th grade and caught onto the sprite saying s/he'd marry Purim or something..? Don't quote me, it's been forever since i've played the game.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I still think that the sprite is a guy even after this descussion. He seems like a wild fighting kind of guy, not at all like a girl. But we can always do more research on the topic though.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Danny wrote:I also agree that he is a guy. I saw a site on the default/original names of the characters. The main character was the hero, Purim was the girl and instead of calling the third character the boy, they just called him the sprite.

Like Duran said, he also liked the idea of gnome saying that his Purim's husband and he also ate all of the food when being captured on the empire ship. Now how many girls do that? Not any that I now for sure!

And lastly, his grandpa also calls him little tyke which is used more for boys then girls. He has long hair since his a spirite, but that doesnt't mean that his a girl. I used to have long hair when I was small and I'm not a girl. Short hair seems to suit me better now though. Well ok, those are my reasons why I think that the sprite is a guy and not a girl and it seems that most people agree with me too on that.
I've got long hair, too (not *that* long, but...). As for a girl eating loads of food? Some of 'em, you wonder where they put it... so yeah, it happens. I still think the Sprite's a guy, however. ???

Honestly, I don't really think it matters. I will note, however, that calling the Sprite "it" removed from the producer's lap the task of coming up with a complicated side story for... "it" - and except for that scene with Gnome, they admittedly DID get away with running through the course of the game without once having to deal with any sort of romantic relationship involving the Sprite. It also provided for anyone to be able to enjoy playing as the Sprite, regardless of their actual gender, and not raise any childish questions like "so hey, why're you playin' as a girl?" which every guy knows falls right in line with every bully's favorite style of harassment.
Last edited by The J Person on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

I always doubted a bit. Male, female.... Either gay or a child of 4 years old. So the Gender Unknown fits perfectly.