Everything I know is a lie

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

In the American version, Sprite is male because at that time Nintendo would -traditionally- not allow much questionable content onto the SNES (MK anyone?), however I would be interested in seeing the direct japanese translation of the game.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Yet another proof that the sprite child is a guy is because he equips most of the same aromur as the hero and not the girl. Example: Spikey suit, etc. Also I think that his around seven years old since four seems to be too small and I seriouslly doubt that his gay... Anyways, this is what I think still to be true and here's all the proof so far.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

well, you dont want see a sprite wearing a bikini, do you?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Danny wrote:Yet another proof that the sprite child is a guy is because he equips most of the same aromur as the hero and not the girl. Example: Spikey suit, etc.
Actually near the end of the game it starts equipping the same stuff as the girl, it can wear most of the girly helmets too.

The Sprite is confusing simply put. :P
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Maybe he's a transvestite?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Enslaven00bs wrote:Maybe he's a transvestite?
Umm, aaa I don't quite think so... ^-^;

Deques comment brings up yet another piece of proof that his a guy. The girl can equip the bikini armour, but the sprite can't. How's that as proof, but the idea of the sprite wearing a bikini is just wrong. i don't even want to picture that! :X
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

shame on you. sprite might be a girl, and now you maybe have hurt sprite's feelings
Danny

Post by Danny »

Wait, with what? By saying that I don't want to see "it" in a bikini? You said that you're self too didn't you? Nor can the sprite equip the flower suit and most other armours like the girl can. The only armours that both the girl and sprite can equip are the ones that all three characters can equip.

Also about what Sheexy said about near the end of the game the spirit can equip helms like the girl doesn't prove that his one too. Girls usally have smaller heads then guys do and the sprite is a child so that may have closer head sizes that with the hero. They also have neutral helms that they both equip that you can't say that there for girls or guys like the racoon helm or the duck helm.

If you notice that the spite never equips that girl type helms like the hair band and such. The sprite also has his owen type of helms that only he can equip like the rabite ones, so this proves that his a guy with a small head since his only a child. If can equip most of the helms that the hero can in the beginning of the games anyways.

And of course he can't equip some of the helms the hero can't near the end of the games which neither he or the girl can't since it would be too large and big. They might not see anything, it could fall off or worse, it could break there necks! So I still think that the sprite is still a guy like we always thought.
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

Danny wrote:The guys still tend to eat more then girls in animes though. Example: Dbz: Goku eats non stop and pretty much all the guys to, but not the girls.
And yet Fuu from Samurai Champloo is the same way and she is far from being a guy.

Also with the bikini, you wouldn't want to dress a little kid (or someone that resembles one) in a bikini.
kaiseryuu
Rabite

Post by kaiseryuu »

When I playd the game for the first time I thought Sprite was a girl but because of all the debating here I'm not so sure anymore but I'm sideing with female. though its been atleast six years since i last played^-^;
Last edited by kaiseryuu on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

I'm going to run with the idea of the sprite having no gender, myself. This kind of thing always happens when they bring something over from Japan that has a character who is genderless. (See RG Veda - the main character Ashura has no gender. But in the anime they say "daughter" while in the manga, Ashura becomes a "son".)

America just remains shy about the gender line. The sprites were close enough to Mana- like the elemental spirits and such- that they couldn't stay after the events with the Manabeast. In light of that, it's not impossible to assume a young sprite would have no gender.

To explain the later sprites (LoM time and the grandfater) that have genders- as time goes by they likely either choose to resemble one or the other or actually develop into it. There are creatures that have no gender until maturity in nature. The sprites, who are clearly not part of the physical plane by nature, could easily be the same.

That's my theory/two cents worth anyway. :P
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

I don't think it's so much a matter of the Western world being androgyny-shy, really. It's more that in normal Japanese speech, there's generally very little (often none at all) use of the pronouns that English pretty much requires to make a complete sentence. (You all know the ones I mean: he, she, etc.)

So, a sentence referring to a genderless character that sounds perfectly natural time and again in Japanese would just come out sounding plain weird, wrong, or tedious if brought across literally in English. In English, even when a character is genderless (unless they're blatantly feminine looking) or the gender is simply unknown, the tendency is to use the male pronoun to refer to them. It's just one of those things that got handed down however inadvertantly from our patriarchal ancestors, I guess. :|

But hey, Square never told us what they meant for sure, so whatever works, eh? I always kind of assumed the sprite was a boy. The design doesn't look that girly to me, long hair or no.
Last edited by Lumineux on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey,

When I first played through the game, I thought the Sprite was female and I waited on baited breath for my much anticipated love triangle. Unfortunately, the Sprite (who I believe I named Lori) remained neutral to the Hero (but not necessarily so to the Girl [if my memory and the previous posts serve me right]). My current Sprite is named Aidan. ;) I'm a fan of "it," now.

Peace,

manaman