State of gaming

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

State of gaming

Post by manaman »

Hey all! Things are very quiet here so I thought I'd jump in and post something else with the hopes that someone will see it. Ha ha!

I'm curious to know what you think of the current lineup of consoles, micro-consoles, phones/tablets and computers for gaming. I'd also be curious to know what you think about the long development times for AAA games as well as the multitude of indie titles out now.

For me, I feel like there are more options than ever and it makes sense why all platforms are getting closer to parity; however, I feel that things are a little dull and over-saturated as a whole. I mostly play on my Wii U and 3DS these days and one thing I appreciate about those systems is that Nintendo titles still feel like fun, polished experiences I want to come back to again and again.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Re: State of gaming

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I basically don't have time for games like I used to anymore.

As far as consoles go, I feel like I'd rather wait for the games to come out on PC if I'm going to touch them at all, the only console that strat doesn't work for really is Wii U, which I have.

I'm pretty sad about the Wii U being tossed aside so quickly by Nintendo, but I guess it was doing really poorly. I'm curious to see how the 4K versions of XBox and Playstation change things up, since those aren't really new consoles technically.

I can't think of the last time I really played a game on a console, I just play Smash Bros. Wii U when I go back home to visit friends and that's about it.

I play Puzzle and Dragons on mobile, but it's getting power creeped like crazy, and I don't want to spend money.
I feel a lot of mobile stuff is just way too reliant on spending money, and none of the games are actually that demanding or strategic, it's more about luck and really limited gameplay. Probably people would say Puzzle and Dragons is like that, not sure, but I have enough fun collecting and building teams and it feels strategic to me.

As far as there being more options than ever, I dunno. I just don't see many games I'm interested in lately. Too many buggy games relying on purchases to be made, and too many "early access", "survival" games that are never finished.

I just recently got Subnautica, an early access survival game ironically enough. Had a blast with it, well worth the cost on the summer steam sale. I can't wait for more updates to that, the team seems to know what they're doing.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well, over a year later and I'd say the landscape has changed a lot. The Switch has been a runaway success and we're seeing many new and varied games to enjoy. I don't have as much time to play games as I did but I've been making time and been streaming my gameplay when I do. I really am glad I started doing that.

I'm mostly playing my Switch and indie games on Steam but I've actually been going back to the Wii U and 3DS lately. Super Mario Maker is finally grabbing my attention in the way I thought it would when I first started playing it. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is still great and I'm enjoying revisiting it because I was inspired by Pocket Camp (a fun mobile title to enjoy in my spare time).

Speaking of mobile games, I'm basically playing the Nintendo ones exclusively.

Anyway, that's a quick update on what I'm playing!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Still too busy for games, haha.

Still playing Puzzle and Dragons, but that's it. I tried Fire Emblem on the phone, but I just didn't enjoy it much. Not even gonna try Animal Crossing because I think my phone is getting too dated to handle much.

Maybe this time next year I'll have time to pick up a Switch and play Zelda and Mario, really would love to give Mario a shot.

Between now and my last post, I gave the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series a play through, and I absolutely loved it. Might be my second favorite series behind the Mana series.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

It has been over two years since the start of this thread and I think that mobile gaming will not be succesfull on handhelds in the future, except on mobile phones. Mobile phones are always within people's reach and the hardware is great. The screen size and resolution have increased a lot too.

Indie games become more populair and prettier as well.