oil discussion

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: oil discussion

Post by DeadWolf »

I have more but the current network I'm on blocks port 21 and I refuse to use photobucket.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

okay, let me see...

I closed the other thread because it was a endless circle argument, useless, obviously you are not going to give up on your "oil-crisis" and calculations.

But it's okay, this time I'll try to make it even more clear.

Here is the problem.

Kirby says:
If you go to the hospital and they use nylon or latex gloves they are using oil
I would say: That is not true. Stuff like latex comes from trees, it's tree-oil.
I would also add: Look it up.
Which you obvious don't do. I even show you wikipedia and made some links but you don't seem to read them.
Now if you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex and read on Latex, on the second line already it says and I quote!
Latex as found in nature is a milky sap-like fluid found in 10% of all flowering plants (angiosperms).[1]
Angiosperms = flower type!
Now wikipedia put a wonderful little [1] after that line, JUST to prove hard headed people that they are not making this stuff up!
The [1] leads to a book, exactly this one: Agrawal AA, Konno K. (2009). Latex: A Model for Understanding Mechanisms, Ecology, and Evolution of Plant Defense Against Herbivory. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:311–31
And a link to the book... here: http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi ... 308.120307
You can download the whole book and read it if you want. My question is who do I believe?
Mr Agrawal from the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Department of Entomology, and Cornell Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York and Mr Konno from the National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan
or you and your calculations!? (oh, and you don't really need to guess here. I believe the science dudes!)

----

But you know, just latex won't save our world now, will it? Is that going to be your respons?
Well... you are right... you are so right about the oil. We humans today are depended on it, we use it A LOT today, it's cheap and it's practically free energy. AND it is running out slowly forcing prices up, you are so right about all this. But my agreement with you ends here.

You make calculations that we don't even know how or what you do and take to account, we only get the end number which is a %. You also make it clear 2/3 of the world will die out, that makes it 4.5 BILLION humans because of the oil. So we better get our shotguns as you said, and protect ourselves from the 4 billion oil-zombies (the zombie virus got permission from god to spread itself out :P )

Not only me, but several have counter that oil is not a must thing, it can be replaced. Look, I'll give you ANOTHER example related to Sweden.
Sweden is cold, specially at winters. Before people heated their homes with wood (some still do) but then wonderful oil came and everyone was heating their home with cheap oil.
1977 there was an oil-crisis in Sweden and oil prices sky-rocketed! and Oh My Gosh! we still live!
So what happened? There was a wonderful thing that was invented in 1940 for homes, Geothermal power - heat pump. Which basically takes the heat from the earth and heat up houses, you get even warm water. No more oil to warm the homes. Today kinda everyone use that. It's effective, it's cheap and so simple. and all thanks to oil-crisis!

Now I don't want lie to you of course, so here are my sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power <- general talk about geothermal power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power#History <- the second part is about Sweden and what I told you. I'll even quote you a bit ;)
The technology became popular in Sweden as a result of the 1973 oil crisis, and has been growing slowly in worldwide acceptance since then.
When your oil-crisis happens it will be the same, when oil gets to expensive people will find cheaper alternatives and just change their system. We managed, why can't everyone else? (I'll answer this too: YES THEY CAN!)

Now in the beginning FAR up now I said: Here is the problem.
What I mean is with all this said, you will still not believe me and go on with the judgement day of the oil.

SO

Topic locked because we all know how you feel about oil.
Now you know how I feel, and the rest don't really care about this ;)
Neither do I really, I care about facts and I like to do my own research about things so I know what I say is the truth. No calculations here ^_^

/ Ailise

PS. making any new topic about this will be locked again, so please don't, have anything to add, then PM me.

edit: I guess it goes unlocked now, because we don't wanna be dictators -__-
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Topic unlocked, just to let ourselves not to be dictators.

Please no more trolling, it means everyone
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

OK, I guess I should clarify. The reason I don't see your point about the post is not because I am unaware of the various uses that oil has, it is more "why are you listing them?". Is it because you are saying we should look for alternatives? Is it because we're running out? Is it for any other reason than saying "ooh, look how useful oil is!", because if that is the extent of it, then I stand by my blindness to the logical reason behind this post.

As far as your "calculation" about the internet surviving, please detail what said calculation entails (other than pulling figures out of the air).
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Kassidy the questions you ask are very good, because I actually forgot to answer them for you. I have posted this so that people realize they need to look for alternative fuel for transportation, to realize that we are definitely running out, and so that you all can prepare for the approximate 10 years of hardship after the oil reserves gets to that point.

I am not posting this to show you how useful oil is, besides with the way my mind works that would just be cruel.
Last edited by kirby on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

That point you don't need to worry. Ailise already told you. There are already alternative energy resources. Only that the oil industries don't want alternatives. They want oil as the only energy source
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Deques wrote:That point you don't need to worry. Ailise already told you. There are already alternative energy resources. Only that the oil industries don't want alternatives. They want oil as the only energy source
That is why I am both very worried and calm at the same time. I also find that monopolization of industry is strange, confusing and hystrical all at the same time. I still do not understand why it is that oil companies insist on monopolizing when they should realize by now that oil production is decreasing.

Also, the oil companies know they are not the only energy source they instead are trying to monoplize themselves on the transportation industry. Which I know will never work, but they are trying to do so anyway, that and the most energy efficient bio-fuel after oil will probably be algae, but the next big fuel for transportation would actually be gas hydrates, but at this point they are too expensive to mine from the bottom of the ocean. Wait is this last sentence off-topic?