Breath of Fire IV

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Hopefully Anise-chan has had a chance to play this yet, but it's my favorite in the Breath of Fire series... God knows why anyone made Dragon Quarter the way they did.... But here are some of the good points I liked about the game.

Getting to play as the antagonist: How many games let you play the antagonist's side of the story? You learn more about him and why he takes the actions that he takes.

Switching out party Members in battle: You saw this in Final Fantasy X, but obviously this game did it first and it was a really awesome way of doing it. Brought a whole new level of strategy to the game.

Combo Spells: Almost every character could use elemental magic, but they all specialized in certain ones. So if you cast certain magic spells in a certain order, it'll create all new spells. Like if Ryu casts Burn, and you have Nina cast Sever. That would create the spell Flame Tornado. different spells and combinations make different effects. My favorite is Thunderstorm.

Character Actions: A few of the characters can do things outside of battle to help with obstacles. Ryu swings his sword: Swing it at NPC's and they'll often drop money. Nina can give you a bird's eye view of the terrain...

Downside? It was really expenisve. I paid $59 for it used at Gamestop. No way in heck I'll ever get rid of it. Then again, it's nothing to how expensive Suikoden II is. That game goes from $150-$1000.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

The first and only BoF I have ever played. I bought it when it was quite new in Europe.
I never understood how the fishing mini game worked
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I downloaded BoF 2 on Virtual Console and I couldn't really get into it. Don't get me wrong I want to play it and it seems interesting but I guess I just don't have time for RPGs any more.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Deques wrote:The first and only BoF I have ever played. I bought it when it was quite new in Europe.
I never understood how the fishing mini game worked
You know. I don't understand the fishing on BoF I or II but the fishing game on BoF IV is really fun. They give you a little tutorial and it's fun, like Fishing in Zelda.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I read some FAQs that listening to the music's rhythm would help you catch better fishes, but I never got the hang of the rhythm
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Deques wrote:I read some FAQs that listening to the music's rhythm would help you catch better fishes, but I never got the hang of the rhythm
Is it similar to the way you combo in Mother 3?
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

I never noticed that the music has a rhythm or any thing. There is a section in the middle of a bar you're given and you want to keep the tension in that section. Don't want the tension to be too tight or too loose or you'll lose the fish. That's really all that you gotta do.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

That would be pretty hard for me because I have a pretty good tempo but absolutely no rythym. Whenever I try to dance to a song I take a step on every beat not whenever the rythym is that I can never find.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

It has nothing to do with rhythm. All you have to do is tap the button. If the tension starts getting too tight, let off the button mashing, but don't let the tension get too weak either.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

ryoko126 wrote:It has nothing to do with rhythm. All you have to do is tap the button. If the tension starts getting too tight, let off the button mashing, but don't let the tension get too weak either.
Oh great! Because there are no PS2 controllers that have a turbo feature that would be a pain in the neck. I have a bad thumb so I can not tap as quickly as some games want you to.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Well the fishing isn't mandantory or anything. But they do help when you want free healing items. Different fish heals your hp or your mp.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

That and by the way you are talking about it this would be either an adventure or RPG game. So it would be right up my alley, so now I have even more games on my want list. This is just Great!
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Yep! It's an rpg! That's pretty much all I play.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

ryoko126 wrote:I never noticed that the music has a rhythm or any thing. There is a section in the middle of a bar you're given and you want to keep the tension in that section. Don't want the tension to be too tight or too loose or you'll lose the fish. That's really all that you gotta do.
Mother 3 has a pretty unique concept with music and I was wondering if anything else had it.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Definitely my most enjoyable Breath of Fire experience. I agree. I just wish that they kept things going in a similar way.