Writers Guild of America Strike

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

???I'm curious of what everyone's opinion on the strike, like what shows you guys watch that are affected by the strike. I know that Heroes is planning to have an alternate ending in December that could act as the season finale. Does anyone know if any other shows that have a plans like this?
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

It's a bit complicated, as the writers want a cut of revenues from downloading, even though the studios don't make much from that venture. But that would point to the industry's general lack of planning where online content is concerned.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

The NBC network is actually working on alternative shows that wouldn't require the use of a system of writers just in case everything goes sour.

I'll say one thing this puts a strain on my support of Unions. I've always supported Unions, but the Writer's Guild, in my opinion, is just being ridiculous. This is taking the right to protest unfair treatment and wages too far.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Doesn't effect myself one bit.
I don't care for the television... I only use it for :hof:The Weather Network, the occasional show on :hof:The Discovery Channel Canada, and sometimes i'll flip over to :hof:The History Channel Canada.

I don't care to be watching shows like Heros or Lost or what-ever the latest prime-time shows are these days, they do absolutely nothing for me.

Otherwise, the only mind-melting show that I care to watch would be :hof:Family Guy. But the producers are lagging so far behind in creation of new episodes that reruns are starting to extremely tick me off.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Besides Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters I don't watch TV. So it won't bother me.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Ah, don't those writers make enough money already? Heh, they always want more. This doesn't really affect me one bit either since all I pretty much watch is anime. The only reason I have cable is to see the news, that's pretty much it for me and the use of tv.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Yeah same here. Mostly all I watch is stuff on National Geographic and sometimes I'll tune into Late Night, but I'm not gonna miss it that much.
kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

Yeah I myself don't watch TV that much either. The whole strike thing makes me mad for one reason, that this may result in more reality tv. I hate reality tv, just the idea of more makes me mad.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Meh,

I don't know. So many strikes occur. I am tempted to say that at least this time it's a group that doesn't get enough support--writers! But, that being said, I have no opinion about this particular strike and I don't know much about it.

Peace,

manaman
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Heroes getting alternative ending possible season finale? oh no :(
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

One of these days I'll understand why everyone has been brainwashed into liking Heroes. <.<

It seems like most of the major news venues are keeping this strike pretty hush-hush, whether that's because there hasn't been much discussion or for once they are trying to keep it under wraps - who knows.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

while we are talking about Heroes, I read somewhere that Heroes: Origin is cancelled due to the decreasing viewers of the season 2. Well, thats to be expected. second seasons of each series usually have disappointing expectations and lesser mystery, ie Heroes and Lost