Anime Thread 2.0

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Mezclas_Quimicas
Rabite

Re: Anime Thread 2.0

Post by Mezclas_Quimicas »

I'm afraid I haven't seen Inu-kami, but I have seen a little of Baka to Test. My impression was that it was a unique concept, but the premise requires some or many annoying characters (which is why I didn't stick around very long). I haven't seen enough of it to give it a review, so I suggest you go grab a couple of episodes to judge for yourself.

It seems you're looking for shonen comedy, right? I can't say there were very many of those that I watched recently and liked; Seito-kai no Ichizon was pretty funny, but it borders on shojo (though to be honest, it spoofs the entire industry). Most shows based on comic strips tend to do very well as comedies-- Lucky Star, Hidamari Sketch, and WORKING!! are a few examples.

Cowboy Bebop is pretty good, as it's something like a futuristic filme noir series, especially when Spike's story is developed. If you saw Trigun and enjoyed it, I think you'll like Bebop too.
Mezclas_Quimicas
Rabite

Aw, crap. Lost my reply because I hit ctrl-R instead of ctrl-T. !@#$!@#

Last season, I enjoyed Angel Beats! and WORKING!!, and picked up Last Exile from Amazon, which I thought was pretty good. K-On!! is getting more than 13 episodes from Kyoto Animation.

Something tells me that there is a severe drought in Japanese drama... though I could be wrong, since I didn't watch Durararara!!.

I'm trying out The Legend of the Legendary Hero (and yes, the Japanese does say that), which reminds me of both Slayers and Regios, both of which I regretted seeing (Slayers took itself too seriously at times, because the comedic aspects ruined the dramatic tension; Regios was simply poorly written and planned)-- not a good sign.

Amagami SS appears to be somewhat like Hatsukoi Limited, but it may focus on one "couple"; the lead girl is either a manipulative ***** or extremely naive. Something tells me they're inviting some rather intense doujinshi to be drawn...

Seito-kai Yakuin-domo (Student Council Members) stars Yoko Hidaka, who plays Mio in K-On!. This is essentially like Seito-kai no Ichizon, except the girl members are unconsciously perverted (in the earlier work, it was generally the other way around).

Ohkami-san to shichinin no nakama-tachi (The Wolf and Her Seven Companions) is about a wallflower boy who joins a student club that trades in favors (We do stuff for you today, we ask you to do something for us later). Designed a bit like a screwed-up fairy tale, the narrator (voiced by Satomi Arai using her "Kuroko" voice) plays a vital role in the show's comedy.

I watched the first episode to Shukufuku no Campanella (The Campanella of Blessings), and I didn't get the premise at all. That may have been because I was starting to doze off, which meant either I was tired, or the writers are excruciatingly boring.

Seiki-matsu Occult Gakuin (Occult Academy) looks promising; it'll start in 2 days or so.
Mezclas_Quimicas
Rabite

More previews for the new season!

Occult Academy is familiar ground for those of you old enough to remember the franchise based on the 1984 film Ghostbusters-- only this one probably won't use antimatter beams or ghost traps, so "crossing the streams" is unlikely. I wanted to spam the lyrics to the song in the comment interface, but they have a comment length limit... (Yoko Hidaka could use some coaching, she still sounds like Mio -_-; )

Another horror series, this time eerily similar to Valve Software's Left 4 Dead series, is HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD (Gakuen danjiroku, literally "Apocalypse Academy"). Why is it similar? Well, zombies, especially those that propagate by infecting others by biting them. Second, melee weapons (so far-- there will be guns in the show) and much blood and gore. Third, zombies. Fourth, a shot of 4 survivors at the end credits (sort of). Did I mention zombies?

Mitsudomoe... Well, imagine Minamike. With all three girls the same age as the youngest sister. And much, much more messed up. Essentially, Minamike Okaeri meets South Park.

Kyoto Animation just did what I never saw them do-- a new set of theme songs for the second half of a continuous series, in this case K-On!!. They didn't even do that for Lucky Star, though they may have done it for other series.