Mana Series Zelda Classic tileset

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Got two more screenies, I got some different mountains that are more on par with SD3, yet are easier to use, and then I also imported the Kraken.
The water is actually transparent so works really well, but it looks bad with the new mountains, so I stuck with the old ones and the water, but the colors don't line up, does it look ok to you, or would you change it.

Let me know what you think.
Later,
Lotus
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Nah, that looks pretty sweet man.
And I like how you included the stars from SoM in the SD3 desert there, as well as some SoM totem pole deals in the SD3 forest.

So are these enemies in the pictures still placeholder images, or have you got some of the enemies working in there?
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Currenlty, Zelda Classic only supports enemies that are 16 x 16 pixels (this is going to be changed wit the next stable release which is supposed to be before the end of the year), and to my knowledge will never support enemies which are more than 32x32 pixels (except for certain predesigned bosses) therefore any thing like the Kraken and the Jackal will be simulated through use of damaging tiles, warping to different (yet identical screens) and so on.
Here is a basic example of how the Kraken could be made functional.
Screen 1: Kraken appears, maybe throws some magical attack, if you hit him him with your sword, you warp to the next screen.
Screen 2: The Kraken starts spinning in place, if you try to hit him, you'll take damage and get knocked back, so you'll have to use a bow. When you shoot him once or twice you'll go to the next screen:
Screen 3: Well I am sure you get the idea, while it is pretty hard to get used to designing things like this, once you learn the basic techniques you can make a pretty convincing monster that isn't reall anything more than switches and damaging tiles (or even hidden enemies underneath the bosses tiles)

Also they just implented coding to the engine, you can write things called ZScripts which allow you to make bosses such as this more of a reality then was previously possible. However I do not know how to code at all, but others may be able to do it. It is a derivitave of C if I am not mistaken.

Oh yeah, I do plan on releasing all the tiles I use as an RPG Maker XP tileset and keep my sprite sheets intact so if you wanted to make a fangame you'd be able to.

Also, there is a project called Stencyl which promises to be able to make Mana games, one of the creators is present on Purezc and I have been talking with him, while the Mana part of the project is of lower priority right now, I am going to make sure he get's all the tiles I used so that he can quickly get it started once they have it coded.

The website is http://www.stencyl.com

As you can see the project is very ambitious, they want to be able to do Mario, Kirby, Megaman, Secret of Mana and a few others with just one program, I am pretty excited about the idea myself.

Later,
Lotus
Last edited by Lotus on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Lotus, could you give me install files for the zelda classic and the tool you are using? it seems that the download links are broken
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

There should be a link earlier in the thread. It also points to a few tutorials that are very helpful. Yeah, there website is not updated very often as no one who develops is very good with websites.

Anyways, here is the link:
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=94721

EDIT:
I bring forth Water Temple pics and a pic from a cave

Later,
Lotus
Last edited by Lotus on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Recolored SoM trees, some leaves from FFA, and an extended bridge.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Dude, you made those FFA leaves fit in perfect, that's awesome! I dunno what is more awesome, how you made them fit in, or that you actually used something from FFA.

Gonna use anything else from FFA?
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I plan to add the old bosses with new colors. And some other small terrain features. The old SD3 tileset used the character and enemy sprites from FFA as ZC couldn't support larger sprites yet.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Shhh, I'm not really double posting.

Here is a screen of some more cave work, note the transparent water which is currently covering a stair well and the FFA crystals, which I think I need to edit a bit more to make them fit better.

Later,
Lotus
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

niiiiiiiiiice!
this is good stuff!
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I am going to be making a short Mana game with what I have done so far, it will only be a town, forest, cave and temple. But it should be fun. When I am done, I will organize a package that contains everything you need to play, that way you won't have to scour the web to find the stuff you need to play the game.

Here is a shot of the starting Town.

Later,
Lotus
Last edited by Lotus on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Could I get this unstickied please? Due to the strong limitations of ZC this won't be finished. Ever. I am going to be putting all the work that was going here into that. Stencyl will be able to make real Mana games. Anyways, I am gonna wrap up a few loose ends on this, but I can't get proper attacks, monsters and many other things simply do not work. Therefore I am abandoning this project, but I do have all my materials still, so if you need some tiles or anything, let me know, I'll get them to you.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Man, that hurts to hear man.
I hope you can work it into something else somehow.

You should send Dekky all of the tiles and such so he can make the fangame section.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I feel really stupid, but I *just now* caught a glimpse of that starter town, and I have to say, it looks very convincing. If this stuff is going into the Mana project, I'm definetly going to want to see the rest of the town...
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I have to get them all compiled into cohesive PNG files first. But yes, I do plan on making sure Dekky get's everything, though I may post it onto the forums first to make sure no tiles are missing.

BTW J, our stuff in Stencyl will look much nicer as a screen size will be correct, have a higher resolution and be able to use a wider variety of colors without palette limitation. Trust me, Stencyl is going to be the best thing to happen to Mana games in a long time, if the community pitches in with some of the work, it can be even better. I have devised many new tricks and such that can allow us to make Mana games that will be far more customizable than anything before, however we will need spriters badly.

Ah, here is a tidbit of stuff you'll be able to do with Stencyl to show how much better it will be.
Custom Classes
Custom Monsters
Orchards
Weapon and ITEM Forging
Customizable characters (Up to the game designer)
Mix and match your favorite tiles from the game, up to SwoM and a bit from CoM and maybe LoM, as well as custom tiles.
Don't think the character get's enough Crits, you'll be able to adjust it, not doing enough damage, you'll be able to adjust that too.
Uhm, yeah basically anything.
Did I mention Item forging, yes item forging, you'll be able to combine base materials to get a variety of items which is only limited by the game designer. So he can make it so you can forge coins which can cast spells, candies, pink monkey dolls, whatever he wants.

Later,
Lotus
Last edited by Lotus on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.