OK, let's see if I remember how this thing works...

Introduce yourself here! Farewells and returns find their home here also. Post counts do not increase here, so feel free to prolong your warm welcomes!
Mezclas_Quimicas
Rabite

OK, let's see if I remember how this thing works...

Post by Mezclas_Quimicas »

Howdy folks. Been a while, yes? (Mezclas_Quimicas = Magus_Melchior = Earl of Sandvich (Steam))

Google was telling me that a password here was compromised and should be changed. Not sure if this account caused any trouble in the... 12? years I've been gone, but if it did, the fool who did it didn't change the password. Joke's on him. In the time I've been gone, Facebook decided to perform experiments on its users and Google decided it just didn't care about social networks, so my social media activity consists of doom-scrolling Reddit anonymously and ranting in YouTube comments. I do have LinkedIn, but I hardly use it... it's gonna be bought by Facebook. It's only a matter of time.

I remember like... six names here. I feel like a main character in a game or anime with his memory wiped, like Lann/Reyn from World of Final Fantasy (which I'm playing on Switch when I'm not busy killing monsters in Opera Omnia). Duran I do remember, that translation project was fun, although I'm not sure he felt the same way putting up with my inconsistent schedule.

How is everyone? Staying a safe distance with a decent face mask, I hope? What started as a dry cough this past weekend became a full-blown lung infection complete with a heart rate of 140 bpm, so that was fun. PCR test turned up negative, so that's a relief. Well, almost, instead of the 'rona it's a nasty cold/flu with mild pneumonia symptoms (nasty-smelling cough, blech). This thing inflamed my lungs to the point where I understand what Chris Cuomo meant when he said "it's like having gravel in your lungs." I didn't get the general body aches, malaise, loss of taste/smell, or the skin lesions... and now I'm reminded of Plague, Inc. Having this year's pandemic now mostly modeled in the new free Cure expansion is both entertaining and a bit alarming.

I don't know if I still have that totally awesome avatar of Yue from way back, but if I ever find it I'm totally setting that as my avatar again.

What else... I'm working at a place that builds prototype and concept cars, that has 4 massive CNC machines. I was brought on to expand new technology stuff through electronics and 3D printing. Hoping to add machine learning to that, but training the model is an expensive proposition.

I've mostly stepped away from the PC gaming master race. Expensive hobby, especially when the player is also an anime otaku. That got scaled back too, though. Most of my gaming is on my Android phone now, or playing games on a potato ThinkPad that I pray doesn't melt when I fire up Trials of Mana. Factorio and shapez.io are my main go-tos.

So that's about it from me. I might check in later, although the best way to contact me is via email or Steam. The avatar on my Steam profile has a weird dumpy Asian-looking android with glasses, a blue shirt, and a generic non-Apple smartphone.
Kefka
Whimper

Re: OK, let's see if I remember how this thing works...

Post by Kefka »

*creeps out from behind a tree*
h..h... hello?
I am the only one left here... ;-)

It is good to see a friendly face here.
Hello Magus_Melchior, it has been a while.

All my passwords (except two) are random generated 24 characters. Haven't got a clue what any password is, thank you Lastpass.
I am not familiar with seikens.com being compromised, but the SSL certificate has not been renewed in a while.

I am sorry to hear about your health, hope you'll get better soon!
Here still not infected, or anyone related (in The Netherlands), so that's good. I made a thread in General asking on how everyone is coping with the Corona virus and everything around it. Check it out and add a reply if you want.

Oh wow, I hope you love the job at the place where they build prototypes and concept cars. Awesome to see the result of creative minds in what could be the future. Here I am still enjoying in improving national health care at my company of digital referral letters, diagnostic requests and transferring patient information securely from general practitioners systems to hospital systems.

Hehehehe... I still am part of the PC Master Race on daily basis, but heaving three kids who are bad sleepers is taking away time I should be sleeping. So I do less in running to stay fit these days, but yeah, when the kids sleep better I sleep better and will start running again.
Bought a new PC last year, due to the birth of my latest it is not a super machine, but more of a budget machine. Currently on Apex Legends, and I have learned how to play Minecraft to my eldest (almost 8 years old) and now I'm addicted as well. I enjoyed Skyrim SE a lot this year, over 1.3 million septims in my pockets and a lot of skills on Legendary twice.
Haven't played airsoft this year by the way.

I post gaming stuff on Facebook and Youtube on my site, www.kefka.nl .
I'll add you on Steam.

Good to hear from you!
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

I was the tree all along.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

The Mana tree?
Mezclas_Quimicas
Rabite

Post by Mezclas_Quimicas »

Heh! The password thing was probably because Google/Chrome had a saved password for this site that matched a compromised password somewhere in the "cloud", rather than this site itself being compromised. I was using super simple and stupid passwords for places that don't store personal information like credit card numbers.

Good to see you Kefka. Don't worry, I'm not playing Minecraft right now, and I don't have a bow and arrow, you can even sneak up behind me and hiss, although you'll have to excuse me for freaking out for a few seconds-- speaking of which, maybe we could look into multiplayer, I usually play modded Minecraft. Health-wise I'm doing much better over here, aside from the typical post-nasal drip cough. California is great except for the low humidity and the insane cost of living. Working remotely from home for now, because there are enough people in this otherwise fine country who care more about themselves than the possibility that they might carry a potentially deadly virus to their friends and family. I'm not bitter. Really. OK, maybe a little. There's not much that I can do that is associated with my job title without hauling a ton of stuff back and forth between office and home, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. I have a few ideas for 3D modeling, so I'll probably work on that in the meantime.

Crazily enough, my previous "job" was trying to get a bunch of kids into an after-school program to teach them to program for Minecraft and bash together games in Unity. That worked for like the first quarter I was there, then dwindled into like 3 students per quarter and zero during the summers. I taught myself how to use a 3D printer and a sewing machine while I was hanging out without students, and the stuff I built impressed the management at my current job enough to create a position for me. It's not much in terms of compensation, but the benefits are good and I get to mess with electronics, LEDs, and 3D printers when we have projects that call for those things.

That's about it. I might post a wall of text in the 'rona thread.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Magus! I remember you. We even had each other on MSN way back in the day... though I dunno that we actually chatted much there!
I definitely remember you helping clear up a few translation issues back when Heroes of Mana came out even.

Hope things are going well, and good to see you stopping back in!