Trials of Mana

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Trials of Mana

Post by manaman »

Oh, my gosh! I was floored by the announcement of Trials of Mana and the official localization of Seiken Densetsu 3 as well as its remake coming to the Switch in the West. I thought of this site immediately and even showed it off in stream as I was sharing my live reaction to the Direct. Speaking of which, here is my honest-to-goodness live reaction to the news right here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437626809

What do you think about Trials of Mana as a name and the promise of a remake?!
Tekka
Emberman

Re: Trials of Mana

Post by Tekka »

I'm very happy. I'll be there on day one.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

It looks really good, better than the SoM remake for sure.

I'm looking forward to any new merch that comes out, haha.

Nice to see you around again, Tekka, guess it's a 4-5 year kind of thing around here yeah? :P
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

If the remake is really good we can make it a biannual event!
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh, man, there just gets more and more and better and better news around this game. I'm really excited. I think the remake is looking loads better than the Secret of Mana remake we got not long ago. I'm glad that we are getting the original translated, though. Either way, I hope we seem some cool pre-order bonuses. And it's nice that this game is causing a bit of a reunion on the boards! Ha ha!
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Whoo!! this site is getting life again! :) :) :)
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

Exciting times. I just started rediscovering my love for the Mana series last year, so this is perfect timing for me. I'm amazed that we're getting not only an official translation after all these years, but a full blown remake too. I'm probably getting a Switch just for Collection. Hopefully all of this hype leads to a new entry in the series, but for now I'm just excited to play the Trials remake.

My only SLIGHT trepidation about the series going forward: I feel like Koichi Ishii's aesthetic will be missed. I know he's also responsible for the series going in a lot of weird directions gameplay-wise towards the end, but I feel like all of these remakes are missing that super fantastical visual style and world vibe that I've come to love the series for. Especially Shinichi Kameoka's (I think?) style. It saddens me that Square Enix seems to be sweeping Sword of Mana under the rug in favor of Adventures of Mana, because again while Sword of Mana may have some issues gameplay-wise, it's overflowing with what I consider to be the quintessential Mana vibe. I'd love to see another 2D, hand drawn Mana game but I don't know how likely that is at this point.

That's not to take away from all the hype that's going on right now though. I think overall this is an exciting time for the series, I just hope new entries aren't missing that special something even if the gameplay is a step up from the World of Mana project.
Wolfric
Rabite

Post by Wolfric »

Goddamn, I'm astonished! I can't believe this brought this game to the West, and what a way to do it! Not only do we get the translated Collection, but a remake!

And what a remake! Here's hoping they re-remake Secret of Mana following this!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Mataxia wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:21 pm I'd love to see another 2D, hand drawn Mana game but I don't know how likely that is at this point.
I'm so terrified of a Legend of Mana remake because I don't see any way they could possibly nail that aesthetic again.

They did a pretty good job on the SD3 stuff from what I can tell, but I do feel the original 2D version has a much stronger art style. Adventures and Secret remakes were just so middling on the actual looks...
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

Yeah, on one hand the talk of a Legend of Mana remake kind of excites me because I think that game is underrated and deserves more attention (it’s my favorite game in the series), but on the other hand I really can’t imagine it in 3D. MAYBE it could work if it ends up looking like Dawn of Mana. This new Mana team really should take cues from Dawn’s visuals, it’s the one thing that game really nailed.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I need to get Dawn of Mana again and give it another play through sometime.
I lent it to a friend a long long time ago (going on 12 years now maybe... wow) and never got it back.

I read that the only reason SD3 got released on Switch was because Square-Enix had actually lost the source code, and had to make a deal with Nintendo to get the code back (Nintendo required source code for bug checks before releases), that's why the collection is only on Switch.
I feel like LoM could only be done if they have the source code for that one, because I doubt anyone could ever figure out how to manage the crafting system again, haha.
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

Yeah I need to play through Dawn again too. I've only beaten it once, probably not long after it was released. I can't believe how old it is now. I just remember while playing it that it actually felt like I was playing a 3D Secret of Mana, at least visually. The music was great too.

And yeah that's one of my worries about LoM too, that they might water down or even remove the crafting system if they remake it. That was one of the coolest parts about the game.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Wow, yes! This is all incredibly exciting, everyone! I love seeing people checking in on these forums as it's one of my favorite online communities.

Mataxia, I agree with you that the art style is definitely going to be missed though I have to say I never felt Secret of Mana (my favorite in the series) fit in that art style and I don't think that the series' big, bright colors is quite the aesthetic I would choose for it.

What I would love to see is a hand-drawn, 2D imagining of the world that rivals Wonder Boy for the Switch. I think it could totally work.

Sheexy, I had no idea about the loss of the source code and Nintendo having it but I was always wondering why Collection of Mana was only coming out on Nintendo Switch. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it is/has and I even imported a Japanese copy expecting no English version because of SD3. The series fits on Nintendo in my opinion. Still, I thought it was odd considering the SoM remake didn't hit Switch. And while we're at it, why DIDN'T it?! I imagine if it performed better, we'd see it released alongside Trials of Mana but I don't think we will. A real shame if you ask me as I'd double dip even though I haven't had a chance to play the PS4 copy I have. ^-^;

artofmana

EDIT: To keep this thread on topic, I'm also wondering if we could all speculate on differences between the SoM remake and ToM. Actually, from what I've seen, it seems to be an entirely different team and a wildly superior game engine and graphics. Do we have any confirmation of these things?
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

From what I've heard it could be running on the DQXI engine. Does have some visual similarities.

But yeah, saw the announcement and I am pumped! At first I held off not realising it was the localized name for SD3. Hoping we see a Mana revival with some new entries in the not too distant future.

Will definitely be getting a Switch now. Octopath was tempting me, but this has me sold.
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

Post by ShiEksdee »

Can't wait to see Belgar in the remake. Typically hate if they voice certain painful scenes, though, as I am a softie and VA makes it sometimes unbearable (it did so when DQXI came west after me playing the text only japan ver., and I was also in screamy tears watching voiced SoM remake stuff XD). Like I cry enough at pure text, please don't kill me with voices thanks? But at the same time, I like having the happier voice clips. I tend to obsess and collect them.