Sheexy and Faalstar Sprites

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Oh I've got the demo online still, I just don't have an open source file for it to work on x_x;
I know if I sat down and really applied myself with it I could make a much better one, so hopefully I'll have a computer to work on soon.

Thanks though!
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

No sweat!
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

*shreeks in horror* JK. nice job Sheexy-san.
Count Lee
Mushboom

Post by Count Lee »

Sheexy wrote:Sometimes I like to pretend I can make videogame sprites.

http://www.seikens.com/sheexy/sprites/sheexyt.gifhttp://www.seikens.com/sheexy/sprites/faalstart.gif

They both have 6 frame walk cycles. Looking at them now I see I need to redo Faal's arms a bit... I think they're looking pretty good, especially considering the color limitations I've been upholding. I've become really fond of an all-purpose 16 color pallete a guy named Arne made on this spriting site: Pixelation

Sheexy uses 7 colors and Faal uses 9.
They both share 6 colors in common. Faal's skin is the same color as Sheexy's armor! And Sheexy's suit is the same color as Faal's pants! The resized ones are kinda messed up in size and color.

http://www.seikens.com/sheexy/sprites/sfclose.PNG

I'm trying to get these finished up so I can make a game with them, I've got jumping and falling animations and I'm working on running right now. Gotta get some weapons for them too.

Just for fun, here's how Sheexy and Faal have looked through the years:
http://www.seikens.com/sheexy/sprites/evo.PNG (the 2008 ones here are out-dated, heads are too forward and hands are detailed weird)
2004 and 2005 make me cringe...
2007 is alright, but way oversaturated, and it looked junk when animated.
WOW! Maybe we could use those sprites for us on the mmo we're making! i could be the brown haired dude ( i need a shirt for that guy ) I'm still looking for a good game maker for Mythril Online
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Count Lee wrote:WOW! Maybe we could use those sprites for us on the mmo we're making! i could be the brown haired dude ( i need a shirt for that guy ) I'm still looking for a good game maker for Mythril Online
The brown haired guy is Faalstar, a member here. :-P

I'm actually working on these sprites again though, gonna try to make a platform game with them.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Faal likes coconuts... Remember that in your sprite making.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I'm confused now.

First I'll bold the parts:
Count Lee wrote:WOW! Maybe we could use those sprites for us on the mmo we're making! i could be the brown haired dude ( i need a shirt for that guy ) I'm still looking for a good game maker for Mythril Online
Who are us? and who are we? and since you quote Sheexy I assume you are including him in this game making? Is he ok with this? I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the time for it.

Mythril Online? so you plan on making an MMORPG?
If you are 9 years old how will you afford the server and the connection to support an Online game, if you now make one. Expensive stuff.
Now the most obvious part, what are you skills? are you a programmer? artist? logic solver? something else?

I don't mean to bash your idea. But at least for me it looks really far fetched. Like have you done any kind of rpg game before?

:P
/ Ailise, teh dream destroyer (^^,)
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Ailise. You are not being a dream destroyer. You are being perfectly logical. There are many obstacles that stand in the way of making an RPG and you've express them objectively and in a very polite manner.
Sheexy wrote:I animated them with Adobe Imageready, but I don't like it that much... it either animates them too fast or too slow for me I can't seem to get an inbetween, right now they're a bit too fast.
I'm not familiar with that program, sadly, since I used a different one back in my animation days but maybe it's not an in-between problem, but a fps problem? Change you change the frames per second with that software?
(sorry if you have already tried that already. XD I don't know 100% what you've tried or haven't)

I really like the sprites, btw (forgot to put this in the first time around. XD ) The walk cycle is smooth and, it might be just my imagination, but I like how calm Sheexy's walk is right next to the slightly more "tough guy" walk of Faal. There's a nice amount of personality in just that.

Also, a question: is there a reason you're limiting yourself to just 16 colors? You did say you like it, but if you're planning to do something with this (the platformer), I'm a little skeptical of how the sprites will look with the background. Granted, if it's a platformer NES Mario-style, then it might not be too difficult to make it look good.

Also, I LOVE it when people show side-by-side their progress over the years. It really is a magical thing. <3
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

NightshadeTea wrote:The walk cycle is smooth and, it might be just my imagination, but I like how calm Sheexy's walk is right next to the slightly more "tough guy" walk of Faal. There's a nice amount of personality in just that.
It's actually kind of funny that it turned out that way, because they are exactly the same base for the walk cycle.
The only difference is Faalstar's head is one pixel forward because I forgot to move it back after I changed the base, but now I think I will leave it after what you said, because he really does look like he's trying to be imposing.
NightshadeTea wrote:Also, a question: is there a reason you're limiting yourself to just 16 colors? You did say you like it, but if you're planning to do something with this (the platformer), I'm a little skeptical of how the sprites will look with the background. Granted, if it's a platformer NES Mario-style, then it might not be too difficult to make it look good.
The 16 color limit is just so I don't go crazy with using more shades than I need, this is mostly because I suck at picking colors and I end up with a bunch of redundant colors XD

It's also because I wanted to pull a kind of cel shaded look to everything.

As far as the simple looking Mario platformer that's pretty much what I have in mind, so I think the 16 colors might work ok. Here's a 2 second mock up of how it might look:

But I'm not sure how that will work in the end, because the engine I am working on right now is more similar to a side scrolling beat-em up, like River City Ransom, albeit with Mario platforming added in.

What I might end up doing is making all the NPC and enemy characters and stuff like collectables use the 16 colors in that palette I posted earlier, and then use a different set of colors for the background. Not sure how that would end up looking then, but it'd make stuff you can interact with pop out nice maybe.

I'll just have to see what happens when I get that far, got a lot of animating to do with the characters XD
NightshadeTea wrote:Also, I LOVE it when people show side-by-side their progress over the years. It really is a magical thing. <3
Haha, it makes me feel better about the quality of my work. XD
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I really like the cel-shaded thing you're going for!
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Okay, now that I see what you're going for in your backgrounds, it might not be necessary to make a different palette for the characters than the background. I was thinking Mana-level detail which would have been horrendously cluttered and confusing with only 16 colors. However, judging by the sample you've provided I'm going to be confusing and not only take back what I said, but say the exact opposite. XD By keeping the same color palette, you create a style that matches both the background and the characters. (Though, I don't know, you might want to play around with it and see what works out. I will be very honest and say that not all of my advice is useful or correct at all. xD)
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

Nice sprites.... And about mana sprites. I could not imagine trying to make one of them. I am good at making final fantasy style sprites though. xD Thats besides the point. Your sprites do have the same feel as far as the colors go in comparison with mana sprites.