Diana plays the piano

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Diana plays the piano

Post by Diana_Liuba »

Hey guys and ladies!

I've ever loved videogames and their music. When I came to Seikens.com, I've read that you have a "Mana Music Monday". I love the idea, because the music of Mana is one of the best music ever composed!
I do play a lot of instruments, but my main instruments are my classical guitar, my piano (and a alto flute; dunno if you know it). To show my love of videogame music, I made a youtube account.

My Account

I want to show you my love to this kind of music, too! I'v already made three videos. The qualitiy is bad... Sorry for that. But I'll try to fix it.

My first video was alittle bit off tempo. I did play the triplets too fast. But hey! For that I learned that song in an half of a day.
Hyrule Market Theme (Zelda: Ocarina of Time) [Piano Cover]

My second arrangement is a piece from Seiken Densetsu 3. You should know it:
Innocent Water (Seiken Densetsu 3) [Piano Cover]
The main problem of this piece is, that it do have a lot tempo changing. I don't got this changing but I think this one is better that the first one!

My third arrangement is from... well... just Zelda. I don't like the games very much. For me the Legend of Zelda ended with the Legend of Majora's Mask...
Zelda's Lullaby (Zelda: Ocarina of Time) [Piano Cover]

As I mentioned in my latest video description I will do a rearrangement of the Themes from A Link to the Past. In my opinition the best Zelda game ever released. But at the moment I'm a bit off time. So I'll do it after I've wrote my examination. That means, that you can see it in summer 2012.
But I don't want to leave this account alone! I get an inspiration from a young lady to play the Song of healing on ORGAN! I'm not a trained organist, but I've seen a professional organist playing the organ. I'll do that on an acoustic church organ near my hometown. I hope it sounds not too bad..

After the Song of Healing I'll do A Wish from the god of Composing - Hiroki Kikuta. This song is just... awesome... I dunno which one will follow. I do have a lot of sheet music, maybe The Solo Piano Version of The Rising Sun from Dawn of Mana or Like a Glint of Light from Tales of Symphonia.

I would be very happy, if you send me requests! Hope, you like it!

Diana
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Re: Diana plays the piano

Post by Abdul_Moti »

I scent a weekly MMM performed by you in near future..
not to be forceful, yet I recommend you to perform Mana-related music in here. But still, let your heart choose which one you'd like to play.

Wonder if I can play Moonlit City Roa with the original instrument below
Spoiler: show
those are Bonang, commonly used in gamelan.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Very nice. One suggestion though, is you may want to record the audio from a direct input to the computer rather than (what I assume is) the microphone on the camera you are using, and then mix them together afterwards. Also try and keep the res of the video higher, even if it's not recorded at that, since it'll get YouTube to host it at higher quality rather than compressing the audio too much.

That and some tempo changes that I wasn't sure about in Innocent Sea, very good start. Look forward to you posting more videos of this type.
Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Post by Diana_Liuba »

@Abdul_Moti:
You think? It would be an honour for me. ^^
The Mana music is awesome... No matter what! ^^ And to perform the beautiful music is an honour for me, too.

And that instrument... Holy crap! Never heard! And I've never seen an instrument like that before... (and I've played/seen a lot of instruments)

@Kassidy: Someone told me that before. As you can see it's an electrical piano and I do need a wire to input it directly into my computer. I'm looking for that thing... but... I don't come too far, because I don't have a vehicle... So... I have to wait until I come to an eletronic shop...
Yes, you're correct. I'm using the camera of my mobile phone... And the microphone, too... And that's the result...

Oh yeah... and if you want to let me play Innocent Sea... You're gonna killing me! The tremolo (16th notes) is teasing me... ;_; (Well... I've already played Innocent Sea...) But I know which one you mean ^^ Believe me: You'll hear the difference. There's a missing chorus at all. (You'll hear the improvisation at the beginning of the chorus. If I would tell you the notes, I dunno how far you can follow me... And at the end of the verses there's a rit. (get slower))

Diana
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

That's why I provided some links there (click at 'Bonang' and 'gamelan' in my previous post), with hope that everyone's knowledge will expand wider.
Maybe I should give an example of gamelan performance as well, like this one..
example

Moonlit City Roa is one example of gamelan inspired game soundtracks (particularly Seiken Densetsu), there are more in other games..

That's Indonesia (precisely Javanese) for ya.. :-D

edit note: simplified youtube url for lighter mobile browsing load.
Last edited by Abdul_Moti on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Nice stuff, I love piano. I wish I could play.
I really like this kind of stuff, and like Moti said something like this would be awesome for a Music Monday update.

If I had to request something it'd probably be the Dawn of Mana opening theme, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81SaFrcc ... re=related .
It's absolutely amazing and composed by Ryuichi Sakatmoto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGs_vGt0MY8) who is absolutely amazing.

Also if you're looking into playing organ stuff, there is actually a short song that your character plays in LoM on the organ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5d0v3XmtbM which would be really cool to have expanded the rest of the way out, it's a version of another track in LoM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5kpd6Swmk

But yeah, just a couple ideas for you. :)
Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Post by Diana_Liuba »

You love the piano, too? That's very amazing! Why I'm so happy? Because a lot of german people (my target are these kiddies who listen to techno, rap and other stupid genres. In my eyes, this isn't music...) hate classical music like Beethoven, Lizst and so on. Also Bach was a good one. But nobody do like this music anymore... I'm just sad... ;_; Because all of these people did make the root of the latest music. By the way: When you would mention me at a MMM, it would be an honour for me!

Anyways... I've listened to the opening theme a while ago and I thought it is a very nice piece. I ever want to buy the sheet music book from Dawn of Mana but at this time, there happened that really sad and bad things in Japan. Anyways. I could play it, but I do have something different in my mind. It is the Overworld Theme from Heroes of Mana. A lot of these soundtracks are simply amazing! I can't tell how much I enjoy them.
Didn't Keji Ito compose the DoM Soundtrack? I'm a bit confused... *uses Medical herbs*

I see. I do really like these old instruments. And I've listened to the LoM soundtracks, too. They are simply amazing. Well... Every soundtrack from SD is amazing.
I do just have the handycap, that I'm a trained pianist - not an organist. And when I've played the organ for the first time, I get confused, because the black keys on the piano are white keys on the organ... And it's heavy to push the keys on an organ...

Diana
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Kenji Ito did a ton on Dawn of Mana, but a lot of other people did as well. http://www.seikens.com/soundtracks/seik ... oundtrack/

There you can find the names of the people who worked on it, and if you click them you can read about each one.
Kenji Ito did the most, then Tsuyoshi Sekito and next was Masayoshi Soken.
Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Post by Diana_Liuba »

I see... I wish to play LoM and DoM... That is really very annoying... You can't play games you like... I should start to go to the USA. There are so much things I wanna have... DoM, LoM, David Duchovny... Oh man... and what do we German have? Sauerkraut, Lederhosen and Bratwurst... Nothing I love...

Any ways. I uploaded a new video just a few minutes ago and would like to show you my arrangement:
I Closed My Eyes (Secret of Mana) [Piano Cover]
I know... 1:10 for so much time... I'm mean, I know... ;)
What do you think? Tell me EVERYTHING you think about. This helps me a lot to improve my skills.

Maybe I'll upload another video I've learned a few minutes ago (I think to play by ear is more fun than to play by (or after? I'm confused...) sheets... I should try to gain a better hear ability.)

Diana
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey Diana,

I don't know enough about music to be able to pick it out, but sometimes the notes sound slightly off, or maybe a bit rushed (about 32 seconds in).
They're just sliiiightly off so it's not too bad though, it sounds really nice.

I notice that the sound of the keys being depressed is pretty loud, I'm not sure how that can be fixed however though, unless you have a way to plug the keyboard directly into a computer and record from there.

Thanks for sharing, it's really nice.

Did you do this one by ear?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I really like your cover of I Closed My Eyes. It's very nice. I really hope you keep it up!
Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Post by Diana_Liuba »

@Sheexy: Yeah I've played by ear. It isn't quite difficult... Kikuta's compositions are very easy. But very effective. I forgot the rit. at the beginning... I've played it a whole octave (8 tones) deeper than the original one because these high things get on my nerves...
But Thank you ;) My next arrangement is a special (and I won't tell too much) but if you like SD3 you'll like it, too! I just need new equipment.
Well... i know what you mean. But it sounds like that when I play it. And if I would input it into my PC it would sound like a midi... and that's not what I want ;)
Mhm.. I'm not very sure what you meant by that. But ever noticed that this instrument is called in the Italian language PianoForte? Both are words or dynamics. Piano is quiet (there is also pianissimo and pianissimo possible... which is quieter and quietest) and Forte is loud (there is also fortissimo and fortissimo possible for louder and loudest). And I tried to use the advantage of that beautiful instrument. Dunno if you meant that I changed the dynamics. If that's not... could you explain that for a non-english speaking lady?
But I'm glad that you like it. Your love to my cover is my payment :)

@manaman: Of course I will! Music is my second name! Haha ^^

Diana
Hellfunk
Lullabud

Post by Hellfunk »

Just wanted to say, some amazing arrangements! I really liked the "I closed my eyes" from Secret of Mana, more songs please!
Diana_Liuba
Mushboom

Post by Diana_Liuba »

Hey seikens!

I was at my aunt's and... well... two musicians under one roof... is not very good, haha. The result was another song, played on a bright piano! (The keys are harder than mine to push... ;_;...) Anyways... I'm not that mean to not show you this one. It isn't a song from SD... sadly, because there are so much awesome songs! It's from Majora's Mask. I don't like Koji Kondo... and his compositions either... Maybe I'm way too in love with the elite Yoko Shimomura, Motoi Sakuraba and Hiroki Kikuta, haha :) Really awesome composers...

Anyways. I need to shut it down and give you the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpug2jZA ... ature=plcp

@Hellfunk: Oh yeah... I Closed My Eyes was one of my favourite one! I also loved the Pandora Theme, when the city is cursed by that wicked witch! Screw her! A Phantom and a Rose... it's called. I also love the Town music The Color of the Summer Sky. Maybe I'll do a recorder flute cover of it :)

Be patient... because I have another song I really want to cover... This one is the most awesome battle theme I've ever heard... And I try to change my style and use my long lost... erm... long unused electric guitar. A piano cover would destroy the awesomeness of that song. So... stay tuned (as my guitars, haha... stupid joke...)

See ya!
--Diana
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hi! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy the Song of Healing and you did a really nice job.