Ideas for the seikens!

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Before I start, let me just say that this is one of the best video game fourm sites that I've seen. Well anyways, at another fourm site like this one for the Phantasy Star series, has about half the members the seikens does yet it's a lot more active.

I've found out that its because of their features which the seikens does not have such as winamp wall papers, roms, emulators, fan comics and some other things. I think that by getting some of these things, the seikens may gain the sweet taste of fourm life again. There's a lot of dead (gone) members and only very few new ones that actually post anything here.

I suggest that we get some of these things. For starters, the desktop and winamp wallpapers. These are pretty easy to make and I already have some SD3 snes ripped wallpapers made by me. I think I may have sent some to Sheexy by email but I may have not. Anyways, I still need to get some more. The Glass Desert ones were the best, I'll show you guys sometime.

As for roms and emulators, there pretty easy to find on the web so its not a big deal. Plus the seikens wants to be "100% legal" so that's a definite no... probably. I think Sheexy was also the one that said in the April Fool's day topic that "we could have them but we want to be prefectly legal" or something like that so we'll hold that thought for the moment.

Fan made fanfics, comics and drawings: I plan on making some funny chibi SD3 ones where Duran, Angela and Hawkeye run around in their crazy adventures to take down Koren and the Dragon Emperor that always end up going wrong XD I'll have to hold on to that to since I still need to update my manga topic with an enemy sketch. That and work and school aren't leaving me alone so I have very little free time. I usally post in between breaks or at night here.

So it would be very nice to see some more fan art and writings here. It might help revive the seikens, at least a bit. These new things might attract new members as well as the old ones which are gone. These are just some thoughts. Free free to drop any ideas or imput. Remember, your honest opinions matter here unlike how they don't in school, work, politics and just about everywhere else. No really, that's a little sad though don't you think? Well, let's not go to far off topic with my sleepless ramblings.

GO SEIKENS!!! Show them what you've got! People like sites that have it, so this should make the seikens much more popular then it already is. Yeah, so that's about it I guess. ^_^
Last edited by Danny on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

I was totally planning on making a fan comic based on SD3 and posting on my deviantArt when I had more time (Like in a week or two when I don't have so much school work to do.)

Although everyone can guess that Legend of Mana is my favorite game it already has a official manga and a lot of fan based stuff. SD3 is my second favorite game so I think doing an adaptation would be fun. I'll get working on it to hear your opinion on it.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

A lot of these have been considered but put on ice for no apperant reason.
As for roms for downloads is absolute no. It violate all copyright laws and is against our quite new policy.

We have thought of having a fan section in seikens, but it never happened. I dont know why, maybe because of no time or laziness
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Not to keep diving in to the issue because I do understand the no tolerance policy on it, but the legality of roms is still in question. No one really knows the full legality of it. The major issue is the law isn't universal around the world. The United States is the most strict. That whole thing about "using a ROM as a back up for a file" is illegal in the United States, and as for that 24 hour rule these sites have about roms is completely false.

However certain free-licensed, and if you can defend that the company no longer produces or makes money off of the game, roms are actually legal in several countries and I've heard of cases of it in the US. Not to mention Nintendo is the only company who actively fights against rom distribution and development.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I need to get around to making a fan stuff section for the site.

If people bring lots of cool stuff to the Seikens Creation board here then maybe I'll get up and work more XD
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Right... Let's go through a few of these.

-ROMs are a big no for now, and the judges decision on that is final.
-WinAMP skins... Version 3 ones are time-consuming to do properly, and Version 2 ones are easy, but hardly appealing. It's not really worth the effort, but if anyone decides to make any, then we can consider it.
-Emulators, no point. This is not a emulation page, there are plenty dedicated to it, and they can deal with covering all the different formats. Link to them? Maybe, but going back to the ROM issue, there's no point.
-Wallpapers we already do, we're always keeping an eye out for more, and we welcome submissions.
-Other fan creations depend precisely on that... fans creating. When fans create, we do our best to feature it, but the muse can't be bled at will. But agreed, at some point we'll have to work on getting a full-fledged section together. That said, we have a fanart gallery, and have probably the best compilation of SD remixes out there in one place. Fanfics are lacking, we'll get to that.

'Bout it. Just my two shillings.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Okay roms and emulators are a no then but what about fan games? Would those be legal to have and download here? I imagine that they would be short and take up a fairly large number of MB but fun non the less. I should show you guys my Glass Desert wallpapers until I get started on the funny, SD3 chibi manga idea I had (kind of like the FFA one).
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Fan games would be fine, as long as they are:
-Developed with licensed or GNU software
-Credit sources for base materials
-Are free for distribution and non profit
-Do not contain data collection or advertising
-Are virus, malware and adware free (but we'll check this anyway)

And yes, an official version of these guidelines will be made available as and when the time comes to crank up the power on the project. :)

Please do show us the wallpapers. Submit them in the SD Creations section.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

An addition to fan games.

-Submitted by the creator/author of the game. Submissons by any other than the creator are not accepted. (The creator might come at us angry and that we dont want)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Good point, though I would say that we can accept submissions from others on behalf of the author, but:
a) we reserve the right to contact the author and seek permission to host before making it available.
b) if we find a fraudulent submission, we reserve the right to prod buttock into the nearest star cluster. And we will attend all requests from authors to remove their content from the website without any form of hesitation, and feed you to them for breakfast.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I know I don't come here as often as I should (I would come everyday if I could believe me) but I do think of stuff I can create and submit for the site. I'm currently working on a story of what I think happened before FFA/SwOM. I don't have much of it but ideas jotted down. I'll post a chunk of the story when I get to that point. I would like to see everyone else's idea of what happened pre-FFA/SwOM (I smell a writing contest.)
Danny

Post by Danny »

Enslaven00bs wrote:I would like to see everyone else's idea of what happened pre-FFA/SwOM (I smell a writing contest.)
SwoM's intro gives enough story line for what happened before those games. Vandole gaining mana power and putting the world through the Dark Ages, the three heroes which finally kill him... Yep, I think that's enough to create a fan fic/story of what happened before FFA and SwoM.

This also is giving me another idea. It would be awesome to use RPGmaker2 to make a fan game like that. Hmm, sounds good. I'll have to plan this out first but I don't know how far I will get since I suck at making fan games. I'm more of a fan manga artist and RPing person. Maybe someone or you can use the intro of SwoM or FFA to make one?
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

The intro to FFA/SwOM is the backbone of the story. The rest of the story is my creation. I'm writing the details of what happened. Every time I play through FFA or SwOM I always wondered what happened before and how cool a game like that would be.

Anyway the game idea sounds great. Perhaps if I ever get my story written I'll make a game in rpgmaker using the story.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Uh,

Really? Danny--I'm disappointed in you. I'm most certain you meant "Stencyl!" No, really, I'm quite positive. That would rock, rock, rock! I bet we're going to get some great Mana games after Stencyl is officially released.

Peace,

manaman
Danny

Post by Danny »

Stencyl is making a fan game which is an exact remake of FFA unlike SwoM which modified a lot of elements from the original FFA. I was saying that a fan game could be made which took place before FFA and SwoM. Not a remake, but an original story. Square might beat us to it though.