Bestiary Update

Archived news can be found here. (Read-only)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

ImageHere there be more monsters!Image

Kind of a big update. Plants and oddball enemies are now covered. Also, I went back and added the Gorgon Eye from Legend of Mana into the Eye section (how on earth did I miss that?!) and the Godbeast section has been replaced by the Divine Beings section and gained an entry on the Mana Goddess from LoM. (Thanks for the idea on that Anon)

And now for some interesting news:

Final Fantasy Adventure has eightteen normal monsters left.
Secret of Mana has three more normal monsters left.
All of the Seiken Densetsu 3 normal monsters are in!
Legend of Mana has ten more normal monsters.
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Wow! I've...caused a lot of changes...in like what...5 days?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Nice one Sheexy and Anon! This update is fairly large, great job guys!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey, I did all the work XD, Anon was just nice enough to help me out with figuring out where to sort stuff.
:-P
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Yeah! Don't thank me! It was all Sheexy! No joke!

The staff on this site are among the hardest working I've ever had the privaldge to know!
Danny

Post by Danny »

I was thanking Anon for the help as I see Sheexy usally does. Great work Sheexy, I knew what you meant in your first post. I was just being nice. Haha, you taked me seriouslly there for a second! But really, the seikens staff are some of the most hard working... even Sheexy when his not lazy, I'm kidding! Way to go man!^_^
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hi,

I might have missed something, but shouldn't the Walls from SoM be put in the Eyes category? Maybe I'm wrong. I should probably check before posting this, but oh well. Here goes! :)

Peace,

manaman
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

manaman wrote:I might have missed something, but shouldn't the Walls from SoM be put in the Eyes category?
While technically the eyes from the Wall's could indeed come under Eyes, being almost separate entities from the Wall itself, since they go hand in hand it would have to come under the predominant being.

There is a note under Eyes stating that eyes are present on the Wall enemies. However, it may be worth expanding on the point, so it's a valid point. :) I'll leave Sheexy to impart his wisdom on the case.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I'll probably put a link on the Eyes page to the Living Object page with the walls.

That was a good question though, I might have a change of heart about that.
I generally think of them more as walls than Eyes though, so I dunno.

I didn't even think of that connection, haha, nice catch.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh,

Well thank you! I wasn't sure if perhaps I was just being naive or what. I'm glad I could be of any help. I understand the dilemma. They're sort of undefinable.

Thanks,

manaman

Edit: Plus, I saw your entry of "Lightgazer - Godbeast of Light" where you likened it to a giant "Beholder." Well, to me, the eye on Lightgazer and on the Walls look very similar.

Post Edit: I'm at the rank of "Eye Spy" right now! How funny and appropriate is that?! :D
Last edited by manaman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Speaking of eyes, in my SD3 version rom, the beholders are called bolders. I've also seen this in some other SD3 walktroughs. Are there different versions of this rom, mine's the fan translated one where Duran's character is slightly wrong since they made him talk a little vulgar.

I also think that the SoM wall face should be under the wall section. It's called that and it's a wall with eyes, but it's a little confusing and could be both really.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

They're called "borudaa" in the original japanese version, so technically the translation should be Boulder. However, in SwoM we see them refered to as Beholders. Another case of interpretational license, kinda like the Malboro you pointed out to me recently. ;)

As for translations of SD3, there is only one completed fan translation in English, coded by Neill Corlett. The translation started with Som2Freak doing items, names, and initial script before leaving the project, and was continued and finished by Lina`Chan and Nuku-nuku. All probabilities point to you having this translation (unless you have it in French or German, which I gather you don't ;) ).

Another translation project by Richard Bush was abandoned because of the technical problems this game caused when trying to translate it.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Yes, that's the one I have. Lina Chan and Nuku-nuku's fan completly translated SD3 rom in English. I've also had the original Japanese rom, but I think that I deleted it since I can't read Japanese so well. It's easy to find though so I can refind and get it fast if I wanted to.

Well anyways, thanks for clearing that up. I still wonder why they made Duran talk like that from time to time in the game. The Lina Chan and Nuku-nuku roms and patches usally are mild, I guess that it's still better then the CT one where they use lemonade and cider intsead of beer.

Which is funny because who drinks brown cider and lemonade that foams by the way in a bar or pub? They did the same thing to the Canadian version of DBZ and some other animes.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I didn't use the fan translations, I look at the Japanese guides to translate the names myself.

That is why I list the Tonpoles from SD3 as "Pakkun Tadpoles" because the Katakana says "Pakkun Otama" :: "Pakkun Tadpole".

As far as the Beholders went, I think that is just a case of them not being able to get their names straight, so I just went with what I figured they were obviously aiming for.
The Beholder names in Katakana have been all screwed up through the series.

"Bairudaa" is used in FFA and SoM, "Borudaa" is used in SD3 and LoM.