The Music of Mana

Archived news can be found here. (Read-only)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

A key feature of the Seiken Densetsu series has always been the rich soundtracks bursting with life that composers Ito, Kikuta, Shimomura and others have created for the world of Mana, bringing tears to our eyes when Marcie kicked the bucket, pumping adrenaline through our veins when Thanatos emerged from his decaying body, and soothing our hearts as we gazed out on the landscapes of Fa'Diel.

Have you ever wondered what the name of that track you just heard was, or tried to remember where a particular song played during the game? Maybe you're looking for a particular album to complete your collection and can't find it, or are just wondering what it sounds like? Or perhaps you want to find out just who it is slaved through the night to bring you that tune you can't seem to dislodge from your head?

With those questions in mind we offer you the new Soundtracks section here at Seikens.com, where you will find:
-Official Soundtrack Album track listings, and where they play in the games
-Promotional and Compilation Albums and the tracks they cover
-Details on where you can purchase the CDs or iTunes albums
-Samples of a handful of tracks and the cover artwork
-Biographies of the main composers, their relation to Seiken Densetsu and photos
-Tons of links to composers webpages

So head on over and explore! Incidentally, the artwork on the cover-page is from the mobile game Friends of Mana. And if you see anything that's broken, or details that need correcting (ie Sword of Mana's track-listing in-game locations, hint hint), please let me know.

Thanks to Sheexy who helped with immensely with track-locations for LoM ('cause I need to go back and play it) and FFA ('cause my memory is an utter pile of turd at times).

Note: The side-menu is long... I may have to do something about that... I'm leaving it like that for now though, 'cause I'm far too tired out to do any more work this week! Now, where's me tea and biscuits?

Addendum: Sheexy reports that the Bestiary update will come on Sunday this week. Exams getting in the way and all that.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Man, sweet job!

Dude, you included my favorite part in the song Mission from the FFA Let Thoughts Ride on Knowledge track, sweet deal!

This is amazing man! Super in-depth and everything!

Very amazing work once again from the resident crazy committed dude Kassidy.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

The Mission track is just totally made of awesome. The whole reason I bought that soundtrack years back was because I heard a MIDI someone had made of that arrangement, and when I heard the real deal I was blown away!

Someday I shall have to post on here the song I wrote based around that tune.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Dude man you went totally in-depth!

Links to the soundtracks on all of the game pages.
Composers!

Man! This is the Bebe's Knees!

I was expecting awesome stuff, but somehow this exceeds what I was expecting! This is incredible!
So awesome how you pretty much kept this a secret from Dekky and I XD
I mean, I knew you were up to something when you were asking me where the songs were used, but wow!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Whoa, this is amazing indeed! Way to go Kassidy, your hard work always turns out to be some of the best at the seikens! A sound track page with composer info is a great addition to the seikens, I bet we're getting a ton of daily hits now!
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

I saw this on the Seikens home page and was absolutely thrilled to be a SD fan! Hearing the SoM music always brings back floods of happy memories. I'd never heard any of the music of SD4 so I was very impressed by Guardian Holy Beast Flammie Ver.1 as it added such resonance to SoM's Flight Bound for the Unknown

Kassidy, awesome job! I'm beyond grateful for Seikens helping to keep our beloved series alive ^_^
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

We should get a complete listing on Secret of Mana plus, that would be pretty nuts!
I don't know any sites that get it the whole way.

Here is what I have:

Intro:
Angel's Fear - SoM and SD3

Next: (All kinda mixed up)
Boy Aims for Wild Fields - SoM
Steel and Snare - SoM
Strange Medicine - SD3
Telephones XD

Next: ??? Crazy guitars and bass

Next:
Ancient Dolphin - SD3

Next: ??? More upbeat...
Is that some mix of Flammie music?
Then more telephones...

Next: Creepy dead phone beep with phone ringing.
Creepy voice says DEAD every second.
Water pouring...
Creepy lady says "Sorrow never ends"
Breaks into NEXT part, but then cuts back to a grinder sound...

Next: ???
Same unidentified track as before this last one.

Next: Possibly some mix of the SoM credit roll?

(SD3 cave music before this?)
Next: The Wind Never Ceaces / Legend Forever - SoM and SD3
Looong time...

Next:
Is this Danger? ... boss music
Train...
Same boss music...

Next: ???
Legend Forever - SD3

AHHH This is so hard XD

I even listened to it 23 times in one day when I got it XD That is like 20 hours of listening XD
Fades to birds and splashes
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Well, you all know what I'll be listening to tonight, eh? xD

Thank you all for the positive feedback. :)

As for the keeping it a secret... well, I wanted to surprise. ;) Kinda hard whe you consider I had to get some track locations off you for LoM and FFA, but still. I waited a while before modding the code for the URLs so as not to give it away, but my guess would be that Deques spotted something. Guess I'll know tomorrow when he logs on.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Very nice, shame we can't link to the whole soundtrack (I know illegal)
Also might I ask if we are allowed to host remixes?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

We are gonna host remixes as long as we can get permission from the artists.
We've already got all the OC Remix stuff, now it is just scooping up the ones by random people over the internet.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Remixes we can do with permission of the authors, as Sheexy says, which we'll be working through shortly. :)

Edit: Also, they have to be free remixes, so arrangements/remixes from commercial albums (like Essence, Project Majestic, and the ilk) are a no-no straight away. :( Which is a shame, 'cause there's some really good ones out there, but again, legal stuffs.

Original soundtracks, as you say, can't do. The samples I put up, as well as having the quality somewhat reduced, are kept under 30 seconds for the purposes of not infringing on copyright and serving as promotional tools (for which we don't get any commission, but we do it for the artists ;)).
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Since you talked to djpretzel about putting the OCRemix Mana stuff on our page you should let him know we've got the remix section up and running.
Let him check it out and whatever.

Also, maybe he'd be nice enough to mention it on OCRemix :D
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I'll drop him a line. :)
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Kassidy, you were right. I spotted the ost folder in the ftp. It made me thought, "Oh My Gosh!, are we gonna host soundtracks too? Thats gonna be against our principles"
But then when i checked the folder, I only saw text files for the upcoming ost page. I didnt know who made those, so I let it be some kind of surprise instead.

and damn you. you took everyones eye from my new info page. i guess i start it next week instead

but nice information. i never thought it could be so informative pages.

kassidy, if its ok maybe change links to play-asia to affiliate links :P

i have an account there, but maybe you have too
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Nope, I don't have an account there, so let me know what needs adding to them. :)
Ooh, did I pass the XHTML test? ;)

New info page? Oopsie. I think we all had a case of "teh updates" this week, eh. xD