SD3 - Buying Gunpowder?

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I am curious, has anyone here ever had enough money to buy the Gunpowder you have to get from Watts early in the game? Should we give it a go and see what happens, I say cheating is allowed, though I';ll have to figure out how.

Perhaps using ZSNES to hack the data to give you a larger amount of money (It's pretty good about getting strange numbers, so earn an odd amount of Lucre, then look up the cheat in ZSNES)

I dunno, always wanted to try it though.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Doesn't the Jewel Eater arrive just as you're buying it anyway? It's been a while since I played SD3.
Wiiman
BuzzBee

Post by Wiiman »

Even if you did have enough anyway, I bet square didn't worry about taking time to program it to allow it anyway, it would probably just act like you don't have enough no matter what.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

It is a different screen, therefore I am not sure what would happen, I have tried to cheat the money, but am having issues with the cheat not working.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

That'd be cool if it did something different.

SD3 doesn't seem to have nearly as many interesting secrets in it as SoM did, if this does anything different it'll be the first real one I can think of.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I read the SD3 script once, and apparently the game does allow you to buy the gunpowder at the first spot you meet Watts, assuming of course you collected enough money to do so. There's another spot later in the game, if you left the dungeon after buying the gunpowder, where King Richard tells you to go find Gnome before going to Palo to find Jinn.
Trang
BuzzBee

Post by Trang »

I once collected enough money to buy it.
It's been a very long time ago so I don't remember exactly but he either:
1- runs before you could actually get it due to earthquake
2- gets your money but retrieves it later on
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Y'know now that I think back, I'm pretty sure I have done it before, and Trang's first option is what happens.

I also did the thing that Magus was talking about because I stopped playing for a long time and got confused about where I was supposed to go and ended up going back and talking to the king.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Well, I was going off a rusty memory of what was probably based on a raw dump of the cartridge data...
Trang
BuzzBee

Post by Trang »

So... Sorry for the necro post but I was playing SD3 today and I just discovered what really happens...

When you talk to him and have a full inventory there's no way to buy the gunpowder as he runs away after that. This is probably a way for you to not burn all your money.

But if you DO have a empty room and the money, it IS possible to buy the gunpowder (I did, for 5k). Watts then leaves. With it you can go straight to the King. There, you'll say you couldn't find Gnome at the Dwarves Cave (I can't remember the name exactly) and he'll tell you're mistaken and you should go back to find him. Once you get Gnome and go back to the King, the game takes its normal flow (Jinn's location is explained).

Nice huh??!?!?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Thanks for looking into this, Trang.

I love it when the people making games think all the little things through like this. It's neat to know what happens. XD