Rise of Mana article on Siliconera

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Zerrin
Lullabud

Rise of Mana article on Siliconera

Post by Zerrin »

Rise of Mana Producer Would Like To Make The Next Retail Mana Game

Seems hopeful. For the 25th anniversary, a Sword of Mana remake with a less awkward translation would be nice. And, of course, Shinichi Kameoka's wonderfully distinctive character designs intact.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Re: Rise of Mana article on Siliconera

Post by bastian »

Interesting read (provided by Google Translate, since I can't read Japanese :D ), thanks!

I find it interesting that he says he wants to make "Seiken Densetsu 5". It's good to know that he doesn't consider Rise of Mana to be that.

My (unrealistic) wish is that for the 25 anniversary we get an HD remastered set of the numbered SD games (yes, I guess this would include Dawn of Mana) on one disc for Wii U/Xbone/PS4.

That, of course, will not happen.

So I guess my second place wish is that they DO create SD5 for 3DS/Wii U/etc. and that it brings back all the beloved staples of the Mana series (ring menus, controllable Flammie, ability to fight with a variety of weapons, co-op multiplayer, etc.) and has a story that somehow links all of the major Mana games together to celebrate the 25 years. Maybe some malevolent force is stealing Mana from all iterations of the Mana Tree and a hero must travel to these various realities. It might be cool if this was done similarly to Four Swords Anniversary Edition where in each version of reality the graphics represent that previous game. So when he travels back to SD1, it's black-and-white 8-bit, and then he travels to SD2, it's SoM 16-bit, and so on.

That, of course, will also never happen.

So I guess all I can really hope for is that SD5 has some clever references back to the older games in some fun way (names of towns or something). :D

But this interview DOES make me hopeful for SD5! :D Which I suppose will probably only happen if Rise of Mana "sells" well.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

If there is an upside to all of this, it's that Square has not allowed the Mana franchise to die. Is it on life support? Yeah, you can make that argument. However, Square's unwillingness to completely give up on the franchise and occasionally throw us a bone, however poorly developed *cough, Sword Of Mana, cough*, should say something critically important to us: The franchise is not dead in the eyes of those who could right the ship. Maybe one day, once Square has fulfilled Bastian's wish list and there are 5000+ active members here, all talking about SD6, we'll look back on these days as the dark ages of the Mana franchise. Is it likely? Your guess is as good as mine. However, the probability would be 0 if Square announced they were giving up on the franchise.

They haven't, so hang in there... Better days are ahead.
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

I've only played it a little bit so far but this game seems pretty cool. I dunno... I kind of like the idea of an online Mana game that actually has fun gameplay. Not to mention it seems to capture the Mana vibe well (something I think all of the newer games have accomplished really, they just dropped the ball in the gameplay department). The language barrier is a bit of an issue for me right now since I can't read Japanese, but if it gets released in English I could see myself getting really into the game. Even if it doesn't I might just continue to play the Japanese version.

I'm surprised there's so little talk about this game here. Is there a Mana forum that's more active? I always thought this was the most popular SD fan site. I realize the series isn't what it used to be but I still keep up with and play all of the newer games myself.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

The reason there isn't much talk about this this game here is because most people don't even know about it yet since it's only been announced for Japan and only for iOS/Android. If it had been released in English or on the 3DS or something, there would be tons of talk, but most people just don't know about it yet. Or that HAVE heard about it but have heard it is F2P and that killed their interest because they don't realize it's not "one of THOSE" F2P games. Once it gets localized, people will be on board, I think.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, this is the thing. Right now, there's an announcement, the trailer, and the general feeling of "F2P, microtransactions, mobile, thanks Squeenix... again..." and little else.

Same thing that happened with Friends of Mana, except that didn't even have the hope of being ported, and was for a really limited set of Japanese mobile phones, so short of translating a bunch of stuff from Japanese sites covering the game, which would be of no interest, I dropped the idea entirely.

Right now, Rise of Mana has all the markings of being "that game that should have come out on the 3DS while it is still printing money." The next piece of interesting coverage, realistically, will be the soundtrack release.
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

Yeah I guess those are fair points. I just saw people discussing the game a bit more on other forums and was surprised to find so little talk about it here in comparison. I'm pretty excited about the game just because it's the first Mana game with normal gameplay in quite a long time. But yeah, I'm really hoping for an English release.
hawklise33
Ma Goblin

Post by hawklise33 »

Oh My Gosh! I got to get that game.
I found the game on my tablet but somehow when I load it, it gives me an error. idk but I am going to try and fix it
edward745
Rabite

Post by edward745 »

tuff wrong? On teh Seikens!/ OH NOES!!!" Well, fear not, good netizens, for I, Zerrin, am here to remedy it all! ...Or at least what I've found so far.

Really, it's nothing major. Just some things I've noticed in the weapon tables. To wit:

[*]The attack stat of the Light Flail is 53, not 49.
[*]Description for the Meteor Flail: "A flail made of metals from a meteor."
[*]Description for the Dwarven Maul: "A hammer favo(u)red by metalworkers."
[*]In the characters section, shouldn't Wanderer be a "member of the Niccolo tribe"? This ia an English site, after all.

...And I think that's it for now. I'll update if I find anything else.
hawklise33
Ma Goblin

Post by hawklise33 »

well the good news is that i was able to get it to work, created my username, selected my characters, downloaded some stuff. that went well but now it's taking too long to load. idk y DX. uggggh so sad XD