Trials of Mana

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tekka
Emberman

Re: Trials of Mana

Post by Tekka »

Square didn't lose the source code, it was intentionally destroyed when the project wrapped because that was standard practice for them, long into the PS2 era. Possibly the most bizarre and short sighted policy they ever had.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Here is a good read on how Square manage things
https://threader.app/thread/1138940419813851136
Trang
BuzzBee

Post by Trang »

I'm shaking in excitement!
10 years since I last played SD3!
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

Post by ShiEksdee »

Trang wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:14 pm I'm shaking in excitement!
10 years since I last played SD3!
They have the 2D for Switch, right? I watched some of it not long ago. x3 But I think I'll play the newest iteration (never played it before) to see if they upgraded the writing.
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

I've preordered the physical Collection of Mana, I intend to play through them all in time for Trials of Mana remake. Gonna make the most of it while I can.
Deques wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 pm Here is a good read on how Square manage things
https://threader.app/thread/1138940419813851136
Very interesting read, thank you!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

racx_00 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:10 am From what I've heard it could be running on the DQXI engine. Does have some visual similarities.
I've heard the same thing.

Nice link, Dekky, that's an interesting read.
And yeah, Tekka, that's a pretty strange policy.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Wow, I haven't been on this forum since 2011, but I decided to stop back in because this remake is a really pleasant surprise! I heard the SoM remake was a dud and expected them to shelf the series again after that, I did not expect them to double down and go twice as hard on another remake! When I was last on this site it seemed like Square couldn't care less about the series, hahahaha. I haven't thought about this series much since 2011 or so when I was really getting into all the Squaresoft classics but that time period holds a lot of nostalgia for me, and so seeing this game remade really warmed my heart. Hope you all have plenty more to talk about for years to come!
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

I agree with everything you said. Exciting times. I really hope this remake is good and puts the series back on the map.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Damn...it seems like forever since I've been here.

The demo came out this week and I've been playing the crap out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHuEaoxxcdo
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Sooooo... long time no post, eh...

I pre-ordered the game on Switch and after 30 hours have finished my first playthrough with Riesz, Hawkeye and Angela as my team. I definitely enjoyed the experience, and I may have to do a more detailed review, but for now I can say that I approve and suggest you go out and buy it. I've put all other gaming to one side while doing this, so my island in Animal Crossing no doubt will be wondering where the heck I disappeared to. ;)
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Found some time to play the game, got through it relatively quickly. I had a great time reliving everything since it's been so long, but was it always this easy? Even playing on hard with no grinding, I found myself not meeting any challenge at all.

The game is nice to look at, at a cursory glance, but you can tell how cheaply everything has been made when you watch for the small details. Characters clipping through themselves during certain animations, transitions and movements are rather wooden. As far as design aesthetic goes, I can't fault it. All the costumes and character models look perfect and just how I had imagined they would. Music and sound design are updated wonderfully as well.

Overall a very faithful recreation of the original game with pretty but flawed visuals, and a very short difficulty curve.

The extra chapter left me feeling a little disappointed. It would have been nice if they'd done a lot more with the existing characters and developed some additional story content. Nothing to do in the end but fight two bosses over and over, and they pose little to no threat and go down in mere minutes.

It was good, but it left me wanting a lot more than it offered.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I'm actually on my second file.

I finished everything in my main file in like 30 hours. There's not a lot to do, but the replayability more than makes up for it.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

Today I openend Steam and noticed this game. Then I noticed my friends on Steam who have added this game to their wishlist (Kassidy, Deques, and others who have different Steam usernames then Seikens usernames) and decided to visit this board again. Hi all!

Currently downloading the demo, but reading your review (Tekka) combined with the price tag of 50 (euros on Steam for PC) I do not think this game is worth the price. But we'll see after I've played the demo. It has been over 10 years since I last played SD3, so perhaps as Duran says the replayability makes up for everything.

The dedication of the franchise to release (in my opinion, I know yours could differ) the best Mana game from the series is something I can appreciate a lot.