Ideas for the seikens!

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

No, no, no, Danny,

Stencyl is, first and foremost, a game creating engine. The remake game is a release title which will be completed using Stencyl, but the engine can be used to make the game you're referring to.

Peace,

manaman ;)
Danny

Post by Danny »

*Checks website* Oh right, I see what you mean now. Most of us aren't members at the Stencyl site and also don't have any idea how to really use it well. Rpgmaker on the other hand is easy to download and get a hold of.

In the end, which ever engine Enslavensn00bs or anyone else chooses to use to attempt to make this game will be an okay choice. I'm no RPG artist or designer so I can't really tell which one is better at the moment.

Edit: Stencyl also seems to not be available for download so rpgmaker is really the only choice.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey Danny,

Yeah, Stencyl hasn't been officially released yet. However, the main point of it is that it will be far easier to create games using it than another system. I'm not a member, either, but I've been following Lotus' updates and checking out the website fairly often. Anyway, I would recommend anyone interested in this project to perhaps consider holding out for Stencyl. Still, you are correct that it's not out yet.

Meh,

manaman
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

manaman wrote:Hey Danny,

Yeah, Stencyl hasn't been officially released yet. However, the main point of it is that it will be far easier to create games using it than another system. I'm not a member, either, but I've been following Lotus' updates and checking out the website fairly often. Anyway, I would recommend anyone interested in this project to perhaps consider holding out for Stencyl. Still, you are correct that it's not out yet.

Meh,

manaman
Same here. It definitely looks very promising.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Ha ha,

It looks like something I could actually use! :D

Tsurayu, I think we must be be addicted to this site this weekend! Oh, well--there are far worse things!

Peace,

manaman
Danny

Post by Danny »

manaman wrote:Anyway, I would recommend anyone interested in this project to perhaps consider holding out for Stencyl.
I'm not sure about that, our idea could get stolen by someone at another fourm or square itself. Ironicly, its really square idea yet we would come up with the game and most of the time line before FFA and SwoM.

SwoM's intro does give out most of the plot though. I guess that we'll have to wait it out for now. We could tell Lotus about it but he's already working on his other fan game so I think that other members here should attempt it with rpgmaker. Yeah, let's make this a group thing! Enslavenn00bs can work on the story and most of the game with rpgmaker, I can do drawings and rip some sprites and screen shots... Hey, maybe I should make a topic out of this? :)
Last edited by Danny on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Danny,

If you're gung-ho about this, all the better. I was simply trying to say that for those of us without much game programing background, Stencyl might really help. I remember taking a look at RPG Maker once and it scared the boogers out of me. That's just me, though. Anyway, there is a completely free alternative to RPG Maker that is currently released, by the way. It's called RPG Toolkit for anyone interested.

Good luck!

manaman
Last edited by manaman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Ideas can always be stolen. As for Square themselves stealing them, I doubt it, as they don't seem to be very active toward the SD series anyway. Besides, they have the intellectual property rights for the original concept, so there's little to stop them. You're covered by copyright law to a certain degree either way by publishing it on the web, so you can present a case against anyone infringing upon that right.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:Danny,

If you're gung-ho about this, all the better. I was simply trying to say that for those of us without much game programing background, Stencyl might really help. I remember taking a look at RPG Maker once and it scared the boogers out of me. That's just me, though. Anyway, there is a completely free alternative to RPG Maker that is currently released, by the way. It's called RPG Toolkit for anyone interested.

Good luck!

manaman
RPG Maker 2003 is not too hard to use. Very basic programming knowledge and a tutorial on how to use the software will have you making games in no time.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well Enslaven00bs,

That still doesn't stop the fact that it costs money. I'd rather freeware. Thanks, though.

Oh, and to add to what Kassidy said, I would just point out that if Square-Enix DOES decide to make this game, I won't complain! It would be rather nice for them to add another game to the series and I'd almost be willing to bet it would come out better than a fan game. Well, more polished, anyway. But, I won't bet that because there are some great fan games out there. Now that I've talked myself into a hole, I'm out of here.

Out,

manaman

Edit: Enslaven00bs, I hope you don't take offense, I don't mean for this post to suggest you would make a poor game. Meh, looking back, this is a pretty crappy post--ignore if, if you'd rather. ;)
Last edited by manaman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

RM1 and and 2 (rpg maker) and super Dante rpg maker 1 and 2 are roms for the snes which are easy to find off the web but have crappy grapics. At first I thought of using that, but I changed mt mind since it's sort of illegal to download in most places and the game wouldn't be good.

I'm all with Enslaven00bs's idea of using RPG Maker 2003! If Stencyl would be an option, we would use it but it's not so rpgmaker is the only choice left. Making this a seikens group thing sounds good but it will most likely end up with only 1 to 3 people actually taking part. That is, if the fan game is even made which hopefully will.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

RPG Toolkit is another option in the mix and it's freeware. Just thought I'd remind you. ;)

Heh, it's not like I'm planning on being involved, so I guess I'm only pointing these things out to people who might get excited to do this. If Enslaven00bs does this, that's great. He seems to know RPG Maker. Still, if anyone else out there is interested, free, legal options are a nice thing to know. ;)

Peace,

manaman
Danny

Post by Danny »

manaman wrote:RPG Toolkit is another option in the mix and it's freeware. Just thought I'd remind you. ;)
Ah right, thanks! I forgot about that one, most of the ones I know are for the snes so I kind of forget about the others. Oh and, who said imput isn't helping? Your helping with the project by just posting here. ^_^
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey,

Thanks, Danny. Yeah, I've seen a number of RPG creating "games" for various systems, but they, of course are limited by the technology of the time. Also, they're platform specific. Of course, one game creation "game" that is worth mention (not because it has anything to do with this project, but because it ROCKS) is :hof: "LittleBigPlanet". I totally wish this was for the Wii. When I first saw it, I thought it was, because it seems like a Wii game. For whatever reason the PS3 was chosen, I can only say that this would be the game that would make me consider (somewhere in my future) purchasing a PS3. Still, I'd be content renting this, like I mentioned with "Heavenly Sword."

Peace,

manaman
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hmm, it seems pretty interesting. It does seem like a Wii thing, they should have made it for it rather than for PS3.

I wonder how far this fan game idea will go. RPG Maker seems like a good program for creating it and a lot of fan games on the web were made using it. Maybe a different program can be made by who ever decides to make this game but rpgmaker still seems like the best choice.

I changed my mind on something, Square would be awesome if they did make it but I doubt it would happen. I wonder what system it would come out for? Probably PS3...