Ideas for the seikens!

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I don't know,

I think it might come out for Wii. I think (hope) Square-Enix will switch back to Nintendo for their games. I think they tend to go with the system that most matches their games and I think (hope) that's the Wii.

Meh,

manaman
Danny

Post by Danny »

There's another thing that I've been thinking about. Topic polls that can be used by anyone to post and have a voting poll for either only registered user or anyone who visits the fourm. I'm not thinking of a "yes" and "no" poll. This one will be more complex like the ones on the main seikens page. It can even have the option of closing after a limited time or to go on forever.

Example: What is your favorite 3rd level class for Hawkeye in SD3?
- Wanderer
- Rogue
- Master ninja
- Nightblade

Nightblade would win just because I like it so much! ^_^
That was just a simple example above.
The voting results would be above. Just like on the main page here!

Okay jokes aside, this poll could attract a lot of new and old members. Everyone likes shiney new features that just tempt you to join and try it out to look like a big person. It will also be so awesome since it will be poll plus posts! It won't be just a small poll that will needlessly take up bandwidth, it will also allow for discussion and opinions! What do you say guys? I can even make a layout or something if you want me to and email it to one of you. It will look great! Although, Sheexy most likely would be able to make the poll layout better than I can to match the fourm skins. :)

Edit: I also think that long off topic debates should not be deleted nor should the topic be locked up. Instead, those posts should be made into a seperate topic. I'm sorry to always compare the seikens with that other site I'm a member at, but I'm just trying to help. People get annoyed and have grudges when topics get locked and deleted.

Just please move those posts and create a seperate topic about it so everyone is happy. Close it only then if it goes to far and turns from a debate to a personal attack arguement which is rather rare here. Debates are not arguements, they are clashing opinions not personal attacks. Thank you in advance.

Example: A topic is about birds. Posts 1-8 are on topic but two people are debating about an off topic thing in posts 9-11. Do not delete them or lock the topic. Create a new topic with the title of what they were debating about. Posts 9-11 are moved to the new topic. Posts 1-8 are left alone in their topic. Everyone is happy and life goes on.

I'll say this again, locking and deleting topics makes grudges. Many old member left because of this. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't recommend that you do this. I'm only trying to help make this great site better that's all. Thank you again for your understanding.
Last edited by Danny on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

No.

Polls in forum topics would kill the board. I've seen too many boards with every other topic being a poll, and the only posts in it are one word answers with "yes", "no", or "insert answer here", with no discussion whatsoever. Or, they will just answer the poll, and we are non the wiser as to what thought went on behind the answer. They just don't work.

A key selling point of this forum is the fact that we try and encourage people to put some thought behind what they want to express and not just chuch a one-worder in for the hell of it, and also to this about topics to create that are going to encourage that conversation, and even when we have topics that are one worders, such as the games, we try and make sure it gets as many people involved and moving smoothly by avoiding the double-posts and consecutive posting.

We do run a poll every now and then on the main page, and this allows us to give this feature to the community, adhering to topic, and avoiding 1001 polls created by everyone all over the place. It's just a bit of fun.

My 2 GP worth. Deques, Sheexy, maybe you guys are in favour of it and I'm just being overly negative. Shed some light? :)
Danny

Post by Danny »

Fair enough Kassidy, you made your point and I'm not sour about it. I actually apperciate that you took the time to read and answer to what I wrote. Wahaha! Well, you can't blame me for trying. Heh. ^_^ I also had some rabite icon ideas that Sheexy might be interested in. I'll make them and email them to him if he wants to see them that is.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I agree with Kassidy on the poll things.

What Rabite emoticon ideas do you have? I should have the templates still sitting around somewhere.

Sorry I never responded about the backgrounds. It is a good idea, but it's gonna involve a lot of resizing and stuff. The game window sizes don't fit most resolutions too well.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Sheexy wrote:What Rabite emoticon ideas do you have? I should have the templates still sitting around somewhere.
I had a couple in mind. I'll email the pics to you sometime tomorrow. For now, I can post some possible codes/tags for them.

:heart: - This :) rabite with a heart on the top left or right.

^)^ - This ^_^ rabite with a anime hair strand going down it's face. ^(^ can also be used for it to make it similar.

:cool:(or :awesome: ) can be used to make this :-) rabite with some sun glasses on.

I've got a couple more that I can't remember but I probably will when I make the pics. It will fill up that second bar that's partly empty of rabite emoticons. Darn I had so really good ones that I can't remember now!
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Re poll: No. When we had it once, nobody used it. If we have it there would be many pointless threads, as what Kassidy said.

I dont want a forum filled with:
Whats your favourite [insert any nounhere]
Who is gonna win [insert any contest here]
Is Crono really [insert any adjective here]?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Poll: Okay, I get where you're all going with this and I agree now that the polls aren't such a good idea. The main page one is better. ^_^

@Sheexy: I sent you the rabite emotion icons I made. They are better than the ones I mentioned here. Tell me when you get my email. Hopefully, they will make it to the seikens fourm. I made the sunglasses and heart myself. The rabite's bodies were existing ones here. :)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

8) 8P :heart: :love:

New Rabite designs courtesty of Danny, thanks man.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Whoa, you actually accepted them! Thanks a million Sheexy! I should have thought of using the sunglasses and rabite with the mouth open too. Heh, it was pretty hard to draw the sunglasses and heart under 8x zoom to make them. You did a great job on improving them. Also, thanks for the tips in your reply. ^_^
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

There is a secret in paint, if you click at the lowest possible point below the 8x section you can actually get up to 10x zoom.
Or you can use another program like Paint.Net or something and zoom any number XD
Danny

Post by Danny »

I also have Paintshop but I find Mircrosoft paint to be slightly easier to use. For some strange reason, my Paint can't save under png. and the other one you mentioned in the email. And I have the new xp version. How strange, maybe I need to scroll down the list or something but I didn't see it still... Whoa, I can get 10x zoom? Man that's awesome, thanks again!

Edit re polls: I still don't get why you guys say that polls take up to much bandwidth and leave no room for discussion and comments yet that "what are you listening to" topic is still active. All other fourms I've been on are alive because they locked and deleted that topic and have polls. Make a musical discussion thread instead of just what are you listening to...
Last edited by Danny on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Who said anything about bandwidth?
I also doubt that the vitality of other forums is because of removing the "Current Tune" thread and having polls. If that's the case, then that is a very sad central reason for a forum to stay alive.

Let's not un-earth this discussion again, I think the Seikens stance is quite clear.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I'm confused again but nevermind, I understand. I'm too busy working on fan mangas and wallpapers to worry about polls and other un-important things. Thanks for the info! 8) (showing off by abusing new rabites).

Site question ??? : There are less search results for "seikens" than there was last year. It went from 14 pages to 2. Is this a good or bad thing for the seikens? Does it mean that the seikens will get more hits since there's fewer search results or is it a bad thing because the word isn't used as much, therefore the popularity has dropped? This is confusing me, I also don't get why some sites come up before the seikens when searching for "seikens" and even "seikens.com"! Not to mention that the search for it usally throws you to random places on the seikens instead of the main page. Either in a fourm or a gallery section.

Off topic note: When I bump topics, I delete my last one and post again. I also edit my posts a lot to not double post and save bandwidth. One of my friends is a webmaster so I know how annoying it is to see it being sucked up too fast. A lot of sites I know closed because of this. Luckly they're back in action! :)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

There's not much point searching for "seikens" since no one is going to use that term if they are looking for a Seiken Densetsu site. Instead, search terms would be either the series names (Seiken Densetsu, World of Mana) or the game names (FFA, SoM...). Remember also that Google will decude search results to about 2 or 3 per domain unless clicking on "show more from this site".

Re editting: That doesn't save bandwidth (or in the event of doing so, not enough to warrant the hassle and confusion it causes to see a post updated with today's date that you're certain you've already read).