The Spam

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

The Spam

Post by ShiEksdee »

Is there a way to hire on another admin or someone capable to cut down the relentless spamming, or install some type of spam control app/mod to the bbs? -_-; It's annoying as hecka. That one account has accrued up pages and pages of spam in just a few days...........burying topics under it. Just a suggestion. I don't know what precautions there are in phpBB type bbs systems~ (in wordpress bbs they have mods to install to make it harder for that to happen)
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Re: The Spam

Post by Deques »

I am sorry about the spam. I wasn't aware of the spam until now. Usually when there is a spammer I will instantly delete the user along with the threads the spammer has created. But this time I am not sure what happened. Another admin here deleted the user, but the posts weren't. So I had to go through all the pages in the General discussions and deleted the threads manually. It took a few minutes to do so, usually it takes a few seconds only.

For now the forum is spam free.

We have had problems with spams in the forums and tried to prevent it before. But no matter what method we used the spammers seem to find their way to spam :(

I will try to look for other solutions
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

Post by ShiEksdee »

Ah dang. Other bbs software I've found have pretty airtight solutions for spam. It may just be a phpBB thing where they don't have some kind of definitive prevention.

The only other way I know of is to set up a "screen all members" thing, but that'd be tedious so...........
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

yeah I've been trying to take care of the spam when I can
I disabled new users for a long while, but with a new Mana game coming out I had to allow new users or else you wouldn't be here, ShiEksdee. :-P
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

Post by ShiEksdee »

I didn't mean totally disable, but rather have a system in place where you have to verify each member. For example, ask a Mana Game question and the new user must fill in the blanks with the right answer, then you manually activate them, etc. There are some softwares that allow that type of deal.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

We have tried several different options, yet the spammers seems to find it's way to create new accounts. We try to do our best to remove the spam posts

Do you have any suggestion to any free forum software. If it's good enough I might switch to it
ShiEksdee
Mushboom

Post by ShiEksdee »

Well vBulletin is the most secure software I was familiar with, but it isn't free. MyBB and SMF are free and pretty powerful if you know what you're doing. I think SMF has the better community as far as updates and help from their own forums. But I have more experience in MyBB since I used to run a MyBB forums - they have extensions to help with spam, but I'm unsure if it's more or less powerful than what's run here (I'm not experienced with phpBB). MyBB was easier for me to customize the look and features. XD I rarely like the plain jane look of "vanilla" forums.

I also heard Xenforo and Vanilla are good software. I know The Sims community is run on Vanilla software.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

What was the forum we used way back in the day, Dekky? Was that vBulletin?
Remember the great skins we made for it back then? I remember the Sword of Mana theme I did. And the horribly ugly one I made with the golden road tileset from SD3.

Good times.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Honestly I don't remember :D

What I remember we used to use Ikonboard, which after we switched to Invisionboard. But we had to quickly change to another board since Invision became a pay to use software. I don't remember to which.

We also used to use punBB which was the one that we used before phpBB.
We never used vBulletin since it was also a pay to use

I really want to use XenForo, since the other forums I am on are using it and I love it, but it costs a fortune to get a functional forum. And I don't have that kind of money to spend.

I am now trying MyBB, it has great tools to import the posts from other forum software which is great. I imported the posts from this forum, but for some reason it didn't import the most recent posts. I will do a new installation and import again and hopefully I will switch to MyBB if it works great.