Legend of mana HD announced

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

moichispa
Mushboom

Legend of mana HD announced

Post by moichispa »

https://www.pcgamer.com/legend-of-mana- ... -to-steam/

https://youtu.be/QuYknQFYz3Y

Coming to PC (steam), swich and ps4

I haven't played this one but congratulations to the fans who were waiting for it.
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Re: Legend of mana HD announced

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

looking nice. I wonder why SD3 didn't get a 2D remake threat instead of making it into 3D.
Mataxia
Lullabud

Post by Mataxia »

I like to think that they chose to remaster LoM instead of remaking it in order to preserve the original hand-painted graphical style, which I think is an important aspect of the game to a lot of people. This also tells me that they might be focusing their resources on something else, hopefully a brand new Mana game.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

Thank you for sharing!
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Heya, long time no see ^_^

Can someone confirm which physical version(s) of LoM for Switch have an English language option? SE Asia only, or does the JP version also have it?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Hey, Kimiko, good to see you again again (saw you in the comments recently)!

I'm finding the Asia version 100% has English, but I'm asking around about whether the JP version also has it.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Ah, nvm, I got the Asian version.
From the official website it looks like the JP version has all the language options too btw.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Will this be your first time playing LoM? Or did you get to play the original?
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I've played the PS1 version emulated and the PSP port several times already. It's been a few years, but I still remember the places and characters and music etc.

Tbh I wasn't sure this remaster was worth it with only the highres backgrounds and some small QoL additions. I was hoping for a full remake like TrOM or at least some rebalancing of difficulty and better documentation of the forging/pet raising/golem stuff. LOM is a wonderfully complex game, but a lot of it is hardly necessary to finish it or so obscure that you need a site like this one to even find out about its existence.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Gotcha, I've got a sealed copy of the Japanese remaster laying around here now, but I've actually been replaying the game on my PS Vita.
Honestly, I'm not quite sold on the remastered graphics yet. It looks nice in some places, where they've obviously touched it up, but in other places I feel it's just completely botched.
For example, in the house they completely ruined this reference to SD3 (I want a Booskaboo/Vuscav clock now).
lookatwhattheydidtomyboy.jpg
lookatwhattheydidtomyboy.jpg (170.47 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

There are enough added details in the new art that can't be explained by simple upscaling, so either they went back to the original drawings, or had new art drawn based on the old. I dunno, the Booskaboo clock looking like an Among Us escapee would suggest the latter.. -__-
The old sprites kinda stand out with the new background art, but you get used to it.

The other additions are small as well.
Turning off encounters can be useful sometimes (if you're going down the worng path for the umpteenth time in the Jungle for example ^-^; ). It looks weird though. The monsters are still there (the ones that don't teleport in at least), they're just stuck in their idle pose (some animated even) and can't be interacted with.
The save feature is only somewhat useful (it doesn't work on the world map for example, you have to enter a place first), but with a handheld Switch you can just put it in sleep mode without saving really.
Ring Ring Land is a nice addition, but half the time my pet gets knocked out before finishing the lap, which means no exp or items. Well, it doesn't cost anything either except some time pressing the A button.
The newly arranged music doesn't sound all that different from the old tbh. A little richer/wider, but this isn't SNES age FM synth where there's a big difference with real instruments (though in that case I'd probably prefer the original; still disappointed Yuzo Koshiro went with an orchestra for the later Etrian Odyssey games :[ ).
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Kimiko wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:08 pm There are enough added details in the new art that can't be explained by simple upscaling, so either they went back to the original drawings, or had new art drawn based on the old.
Yeah, I think it was a mix of both. Upscale, then touch it up in places where you want it to look nice.
Whoever was touching up that room didn't know about the reference there I guess.

Oh I'm sure turning off encounters is useful, spent a lot of effort killing enough crabs, and having to start over and fight through the dungeon over and over was killing me haha. Would have been nicer if you could interact with monsters to start combat though.

Some of the music I've heard has been pretty good, but others are kind of a miss for me.
Definitely better than the SoM remake music offerings though...
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Looks like the translation was updated a bit too. For example some abilities/staff techniques I just noticed:
Retreat→Backstep
Bash→Catapult
Golden Pyres→Golden Spires
Flower Of Gold→Flowers Of Gold
Gates Of The Fall→Gales Of The Fall
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Here is a good resource for name changes: https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/pol ... mparisons/