Secret of Mana glitch - The hero is missing!

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

I got attacked by blue drops in the sewers between Southtown and Northtown and they somehow kidnapped the main character! (They frostied him out of the game!) Now I'm playing the game with just the girl and the sprite, and doing a pretty good job, too! No one even notices that the hero is missing!

Took some pics of the TV screen with my camera -
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/ ... 0a%20hero/
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Whoa, that's bizzare!

He just disappeared after the got frostied?

I wonder what will happen when you get caught in a cutscene where the guy is needed?
What part of the game are you going through right now?

Good luck fighting the Mana Beast like this XD
I wonder if it can even be done. I know you can get the other characters to damage the Mana Beast if you charge up enough, but still it's only like 100 damage every time I've done that. That'd be one long battle, I don't think healing magic and items would last long enough to kill the thing.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Welcome on board Anna.
Interestingly enough this is something that I've heard of before, but I've failed to reproduce it. Or rather, I've reproduced it but using different circumstances and hacks, but specifically the frosting was one that I'd checked and thought was but a rumour. Did you leave th sewers or change room while the Hero was in the frosted state?

If you don't mind I'll make a mention of this in an upcoming section on the site, since this is something that I've been investigating for a while.
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

>>>I wonder what will happen when you get caught in a cutscene where the guy is needed? What part of the game are you going through right now?

So far nobody even notices the hero isn't in the party. Everyone addresses the girl as the main character and the boy still "speaks" when he's scripted to. The only problem I've had so far was fighting Lime Slime. It performed a second "Snowman Abduction", this time with the sprite, and I died and had to start from my last save. Leveled up and kept it from doing the same thing again with massive back-to-back spells (both from the girl and the sprite until it was defeated. The only other potential problem is that the hero is equipped with a weapon, and while you can still trade them back and forth (his weapons fly off the screen) you can NOT let him have the sword or you won't be able to get it back (had to restart when that happened as well). I just got the 8th elemental and raised the sunken continent. My two-team party has come a long way!

>>>Did you leave the sewers or change room while the Hero was in the frosted state?

I left the room after he vanished completely, leaving a snowman in his little character window at the bottom of the screen. I was thinking it would bring him back. It didn't, and his character window disappeared as well.

>>>If you don't mind I'll make a mention of this in an upcoming section on the site, since this is something that I've been investigating for a while.

Sure, go right ahead. I'll keep you updated if you like.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

That would be splendiferous, thank you.
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

Kassidy wrote:That would be splendiferous, thank you.
I added a few more photos just now, and I'll update on what progress I make when I play tomorrow.
Last edited by AnnaSartin on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

How abnormal.......... That never happened to me.
I must reasearch this........
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

Well, the fortress is in the air and the girl and sprite are in the Pureland right now. Everything's still going smoothly! Probably going to spend some time there getting our levels up. :)
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

If you keep your weapons leveled then you shouldn't have too many problems.
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

Current update: At level 69, going to attempt to smash the fortress after I hit level 70. Wish me luck!!!
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

At level 74 and have obtained Vampire Capes for both characters. (I'd love to get Faerie Cloaks but I've NEVER gotten one in the 15+ years I've had this game, sadly) The girl's Lumina magic is at level 8 and Undine is at level 7 and while the Sprite now has 3 level 8 elementals I don't think they's be of much use in the final fight. The sword has also reached level 8 and I'm ready to (attempt to) whack Thanatos and the Mana Beast as soon as I get enough free time. I wish I could record it!

Something amusing I thought I'd mention is that the hero came back for like two minutes in the Pureland. In the scene where everyone is admiring the Mana Tree he's standing with them...

*****SPOILERS!*****

...but as soon as the empire destroys the Mana Tree he's gone again. The Mana Tree seems to think her son is still present when she tells her story, and after her demise the sprite whacks at the empty air where the hero's supposed to be telling him to snap out of it!

*****END SPOILERS*****

I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the game, I wonder which scenes he'll be present for?
Last edited by AnnaSartin on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

/me suspects for the whole ending sequence, but could be wrong.
AnnaSartin
Blat

Post by AnnaSartin »

Well, first attempt to complete my hero-less game ended in failure. Thanatos trashed me as a result of my trying to use as little mp as possible to save for the Mana Beast. Better Re-think my strategy...
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Level the Sprite's Luna magic up really high and just absorb all the MP from the Dark Lich. Then you can just sit off to the side and take pot shots at him. He can still use glares but he shouldn't do too much damage to you with them.
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

Remember to take as many Faery wallnuts as possable also. They will help you in tight situations.