3DS XL

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

Re: 3DS XL

Post by Khyron »

DeadWolf wrote:
Khyron wrote:I heard that people who bought a 3DS when they were first released felt ripped as the library of games was sub-par. I'm wondering if this will be the system that will finally see a re-release of FFVII or perhaps a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger. My money is on Circle of Mana ending up as a 3DS title over the WiiU or whatever they're calling it. Well, at least I hope that's the case!
Ripped off is right. I got my 3DS at launch when they were $250 (I got ambassador, but I already own all the games. I'd rather have the $80).The trash tier launch titles is why the system didn't sell well. All the launch titles, while decent, would not have been my pick for launch titles. I ended up getting Street Fighter and Lego Star Wars. Zelda wasn't released until months later. Same goes for Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo focused too much on the 3D gimmick. Most of the high profile titles are 3D remakes rather than anything original. I honestly wish I had waited for the 3DS XL. I would have gotten the system cheaper along with the games I wanted.
Honestly, I'd sell the original 3DS if I had one to fund the purchase of the XL. I am all about New SMB2 at the moment and will hopefully be starting Chrono Trigger within the week (work looks to be a non-stop nightmare until next weekend). The 3D really is just a gimmick which I could easily live without. Come to think of it, my kids don't even turn the 3D on while they're playing either... and they're the demographic Nintendo was going after.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I haven't seen a 3DS XL in person, but I'm kinda iffy on the bigger screen due to everything getting upscaled. Does the screen look that good, anyone who has tired it know?

I actually really enjoy the 3D, games feel weird to me without it now. I dunno how to describe it, but it makes me feel a bit more "involved" or something. I dunno just rambling.

I'll agree it's pretty much a gimmick that adds nothing else but a nice feeling in my case, haha.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy,

That's interesting that you really like the 3D effect as, with the exception of Starfox, I could take it or leave it. I absolutely love the XL and am very happy with the picture size and quality. My nephew just got one for his Birthday and it came pre-loaded with a Mario Kart game which ours did not. Between the Mii generator, the built in camera and the card games which are a little trippy at first but ultimately quite fun, there's a lot to do with the thing.
I did finally get around to starting Chrono Trigger again and was a little disappointed to see that the game doesn't fill the entire screeen. It's certainly bigger than our old DSi but I was hoping that it would completely fill the screen. Regardless, I can recommend the XL without hesitation. :)
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Khyron wrote:Sheexy,

That's interesting that you really like the 3D effect as, with the exception of Starfox, I could take it or leave it. I absolutely love the XL and am very happy with the picture size and quality. My nephew just got one for his Birthday and it came pre-loaded with a Mario Kart game which ours did not. Between the Mii generator, the built in camera and the card games which are a little trippy at first but ultimately quite fun, there's a lot to do with the thing.
I did finally get around to starting Chrono Trigger again and was a little disappointed to see that the game doesn't fill the entire screeen. It's certainly bigger than our old DSi but I was hoping that it would completely fill the screen. Regardless, I can recommend the XL without hesitation. :)
Best buy has an XL with Mario Kart for $160 and I'm close buying it. As far as playing in 3D it seems I can't play comfortable and hit the 3D sweet spot. I've heard that the XL is a lot better about this.

@Sheexy
You can stop it from upscaling original DS games by holding start and select when starting the game."
Last edited by DeadWolf on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

DeadWolf,

You definitely have to have the 3DS at just the right angle to see the 3d properly. This is tough if you're like me and still involuntarily move your feet when trying to make Mario jump higher :-P
$160 for a 3DSXL w/ Mario Kart!?! I paid $200 a piece right after launch and of course they did not come with a game. Not cool for me but sounds like a deal for someone smart enough to have waited.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I've played a 3DS XL in person a couple times so far and I am absolutely in love. It's everything I wish the original was. The build quality is superb and I think a big improvement over the original. The home buttons on the bottom of the unit feel much better and no doubt will last a lot longer without being destroyed from finger nails poking with uncertainty whether the button press registered. The silky smooth satin finish is very posh. The unit feels strong. The screens are gorgeous and I was a big fan of the DSi XL and its size. This is comparable but that huge top screen just makes everything feel ginormous. I happen to love the 3D effect in everything and the 3D on this beast works great for me. I feel it has a better view angle than the original. My friend was with me when we were able to demo the unit and he was very underwhelmed by the 3D. He had only barely tried an original 3DS and this wasn't any improvement to him. He prefers the 3D off. Thankfully for him, this unit's 3D slider has an off position that clicks in place very satisfyingly. My preference is to have it cranked--then again, I like the Virtual Boy for the novelty of the 3D. Anyway, if you get a chance to try it go for it. I'm definitely going to get one of these puppies as soon as possible. I wonder if a white version will come out while I'm saving up. If so, I'd probably be picking it up. If not, it's the blue and black model for me.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Manaman, Thanks for discussing some of the differences/improvements of the XL over the original. I also never owned an original 3DS and so have no basis for comparison. I will agree with Manaman's assessment in that the system feels very well built and I'm not the least bit worried about my 6 year old breaking it any time soon. tHe Chrono Trigger soundtrack sounds fantastic through the speaker(s) and I'm glad that I waited to re-lplay that game on the larger screen as opposed to the ds lite that we've had for several years.

Oh, and on a Seikens member's recommendation I picked up a Harvest Moon game for my son for Christmas (The Tale of Two Towns, I think). I'll let you guys know what he thinks of it.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Please let us know about Harvest Moon. I love that series but haven't played any new games in a while. So, Khyron, did you end up picking up a 3DS XL for yourself? ;)
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

manaman wrote:Please let us know about Harvest Moon. I love that series but haven't played any new games in a while. So, Khyron, did you end up picking up a 3DS XL for yourself? ;)
;* Guilty as charged for getting the system for "my kids". I just asked my son about Harvest Moon and he said that he hasn't played it much. Clearly what needs to happen here is for me to repurpose that game and make better use of my lunch break at work :party: Right now my son is playing Arkham Asylum on his 360 so is not going to be in a farming mood for some time I'd imagine. I've got a couple of days off this week so I'll update this post when I've had a chance to play it enough to make an honest assessment.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Khyron wrote:Guilty as charged for getting the system for "my kids".

. . .

Clearly what needs to happen here is for me to repurpose that game and make better use of my lunch break at work :party:
Brilliant! I'll be looking forward to news. :)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I just played the demo for the game Etrian Odyssey IV that you can find on the eShop under retail games, and I gotta say, I wish I would have heard of the series sooner. Seems like a great game, I usually hate turn based combat, but when the enemies were at my level or higher there seemed to be a great deal of strategy to it.

Definitely check it out if you like dungeon crawlers. You have to draw the map of the dungeon as you play to keep track of where you're at, it's kinda neat.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy wrote:I just played the demo for the game Etrian Odyssey IV that you can find on the eShop under retail games, and I gotta say, I wish I would have heard of the series sooner. Seems like a great game, I usually hate turn based combat, but when the enemies were at my level or higher there seemed to be a great deal of strategy to it.

Definitely check it out if you like dungeon crawlers. You have to draw the map of the dungeon as you play to keep track of where you're at, it's kinda neat.
Great recommendation! I've never heard of the series either but I'll be checking out that demo when I come home from work tonight. Thanks!

I used to make maps of the dungeons in the original Phantasy Star as they were ridiculously difficult to navigate. Without a serious battle plan for boss fights you were going to die, plain and simple.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah, Etrian Odyssey seems the same way. There are actually huge monsters called FOEs that you can see walking around the dungeon and they'll chase you and stuff. They're typically waaaay out of your level range when you first see them, but if you try hard enough and have a good enough strategy you can take them down.

Definitely check it out, don't be put off by the cutesy cutesy art style, haha, it's pretty challenging at times!
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy wrote:Yeah, Etrian Odyssey seems the same way. There are actually huge monsters called FOEs that you can see walking around the dungeon and they'll chase you and stuff. They're typically waaaay out of your level range when you first see them, but if you try hard enough and have a good enough strategy you can take them down.

Definitely check it out, don't be put off by the cutesy cutesy art style, haha, it's pretty challenging at times!
Sorry I've been MIA. Work has been keeping me busier than normal. I'll get on that Harvest Moon review and Etrian Odyssey this week.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Yep, MIA again. Work has been off the hook which, for this time of year, is abnormal. Does not bode well for this summer AT ALL!!! Etrian Odyssey started out alright but by the time I got to the first mission I had had enough. I liked belonging to a Guild and the game looked beautiful but I really wanted to be able to explore more and appreciate the animation, not be thrust into a PC-style dungeon with a map I had to draw. Perhaps had I invested more time in it I would have grown to enjoy it.

Harvest Moon, however, is a different story. Again, maybe because I'm burning the candle at both ends right now I enjoy a little mindless, and quite beautiful I might add, diversion. I think we paid $20 for the game which I think is fair. Honestly, I hope that the next Mana game looks as good as this one does. Reminds me of LoM more so than any of the others. Fun and harmless (AKA: Right up my alley)