Chobin hood sculpture (WIP)

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Guess you guys will dig this and since I'm taking pictures every step of the way I may as well make a topic and keep it revived when I take new pics.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46414400/

Stage 2 of the Chobin hood model I'm sculpting.

Pic shows the general shape but the left (as you look at it) ear is still very rough and hasn't dried yet.

Basicly the shape of it is now in place, it's just a matter of building up each part now. Then adding the arms, quiver and whatever weapons it's carrying.

Also pictured if the whip from Seiken Densetsu 3 WIP. First stage"

So basicly it's got the hape but no detail and it needs fleshing out :)

Feed back on how it's shaping up would be nice, but it's based on the Dawn design and hence has a lot more detail than the earlier ones and some "wrong" bits are infact there to be developed later (aka that "split" on the chest is where the shirt will fold in for a belt holding the quiver)
Last edited by BuCUE on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Looking good for the base.
I'd reccomend also making a rolled up whip for him to have, because that stretched out one kinda has me scared it's gonna break a few times.

I can't wait until you get to the point of painting this, that'll be sweet.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Yea, you try making a rolled up whip, it seems really easy but getting it to roll just right is painfully difficult (thats made out of match sticks glued together and then shaped with putty to get the right shape.

If by some miracle I can find a way to make a decent bow (lots of options but bows are still damn hard to make and to string them is pretty much impossible with casting), then his hand will be able to hold both (maybe make multipule hands even hmm)

This one isn't being painted. He's going to be casted so I can make millions (muhahaha etc.) of clones. Like 5 of his clones will be painted (ever met a Seiken fangirl who basicly demands you give her it? Yes.. they arn't pretty and one has me held hostage until she gets one x.x plus I need to paint a couple up in various colour schemes - http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ ... chobin.jpg very quick and dirty concept of each colour, ignore the last one though.)

Plus hey we haven't even got to the impressive but yet. Just wait til you see the backpack and how insanely <strike>stupid</strike> awesome it is!

Concept for the eyes when being painted : http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46427515/
I'm leaning towards SD3 since it'll be easy and look good, but we'll see. :)
Last edited by BuCUE on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Like the way this is looking. I kinda agree on the whip being rolled up, but I can understand the complication behind that. The bow would be a nice idea.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Well you must have a bow, it's against the law to have chobin hoods bowless!

I'll look into getting some plastic if the same thickness and rolling it up and then glueing it together and sculpting the tip. But I'm not sure how well it'll work.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

It's looking good so far :) Best of luck to you!

I'd go with the eyes from SD3 :D
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

I was thinking that too but I'm unsure how a Thantos Poron would look in that style
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

What are you sculpting with?

Might I suggest a wire armature that can be built with the wire, than using your material over it. This usually works with Super Sculptey (even if baked it does no harm) or Greenstuff.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

milliput and greenstuff for the fine details which milliput just can;t do as well.

It was a spur of the moment "Wow I mixed way too much putty!" type of thing, that just took a life of its own.

I've been modeling for about ten years now. I know pretty much all the tricks and in the future skeletons will be made from wire :)

This isn't 56k friendly.. but

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46498424/ Stage 3!

Bows started, removed the temporary feet and tail, cut the cloak a little at the back and some general clean up, the chest isn't far off the right shape, but I lost intrest and decided to work out how to do the bow instead.